PDA

View Full Version : National Anthem at the NFL Games

JustRalph
01-23-2012, 02:35 AM
Loved the gal at the Giants game

How about Steven Tyler ? Christine Chenoweth ?

Vote: Which was best?

PpyBDaC5CCg

i25CmHx2kbM

Marshall Bennett
01-23-2012, 07:38 AM
I've always been an Aerosmith fan, but found Tyler's performance repulsive. I missed the first several minutes of Giants game so I didn't vote.

cj
01-23-2012, 07:58 AM
She is from here in Oklahoma and did the anthem recently at a Thunder game. She did it very well.

lamboguy
01-23-2012, 08:37 AM
she sung the anthem with her heart

he sung it stoned

BillW
01-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Tyler is starting to look like Joan Rivers' older sister :eek:

atlasaxis
01-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Move over Christine :ThmbUp: and Steven :ThmbDown: .....

Bring on The Cactus Cuties

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKCVS57j284

Robert Goren
01-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Nobody sounds good on cell phone footage off a tv set.

cj
01-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Nobody sounds good on cell phone footage off a tv set.

In this case it probably helped Tyler. That was painful to listen to in Hi Def and with a Bose sound system.

LottaKash
01-23-2012, 11:14 AM
I've always been an Aerosmith fan, but found Tyler's performance repulsive. I missed the first several minutes of Giants game so I didn't vote.

Haha, I couldn't get to the mute button quick enough....yuck..

Do you suppose that he took NA lessons from "Roseanne" ?....:D

best,

johnhannibalsmith
01-23-2012, 11:22 AM
In this case it probably helped Tyler. That was painful to listen to in Hi Def and with a Bose sound system.

I'm the wrong person to opine as I generally find most "celebrity" renditions pretty awful, but as much I like Aerosmith in general, this was among the most dreadful, pathetic, lazy, warbling, ear-splitting renditions ever performed.

Dude sings like he got rabies.

RaceBookJoe
01-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Its actually Kristin. :)

Greyfox
01-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Steven Tyler sounded like a sick cow.

Marshall Bennett
01-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Sometimes I wonder if they don't intentionally get someone to butcher the anthem to draw publicity. Far too many have done an excellent job, only to resort to crop dusters to stink up the place. Tyler's pathetic attempt has been replayed and rammed down our throats so often since the game that I've had no choice but to mute the shit.

Grits
01-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Its actually Kristin. :)

SUBMIT REPLY: CLUNK! :lol:

You guy's are so funny. What do you know about her, beside the fact that her name, as RBJ indicated, is not Christine?

Any idea on how many years, how many productions she's been in on Broadway, and in film and television? She's been nominated for her work in several of her roles including lead actress in a Broadway musical--she's won. She has, both, a Tony and an Emmy.

Kristin Chenoweth's a Broadway Diva, all 4' something" of her. and she sings this song like one--on stage.

Guys, she can't do a thing about the multimillion dollar dudes with contracts standing on the sidelines in uniforms shifting from one leg to another like they gotta pee. . . . . . seriously!

JustRalph
01-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Kristin was pretty damn good in 'Pushing Daisies' too

I think Oklahoma must have the highest quantity of successful singers

thaskalos
01-23-2012, 04:21 PM
IMO...National Anthems have no place during everyday sporting events.

These are not just "songs"; they are inspirational hymns which represent countries and their struggles, and the loyalty and devotion that people have in them...and they should be played only during "special", more formal occasions.

The more you play them...the more they lose their significance...

But, if we do choose to play them during sporting events...IMO, it should go something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMI5wpwXTCY&feature=related

canleakid
01-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Charlie Harper was seen exiting the sound truck before Perry sang :D :D

Grits
01-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Kristin was pretty damn good in 'Pushing Daisies' too

I think Oklahoma must have the highest quantity of successful singers

Ralph, this could be true. How many years was the aptly named, "Oklahoma" on Broadway? Probably one of the longest runner shows ever produced. And how many other artists, aside from Reba McEntire and Vince Gill has Oklahoma produced?

Vince, is from Norman, a self proclaimed nerd, said he used to go to school every day with his guitar, and combed his hair just like Elvis. Reba's from--is it MacAlester or McAlester. I don't know. She was a barrel racing rodeo girl.

Anyway, I love both of 'em.

Grits
01-23-2012, 05:31 PM

Thask, I don't agree with you on this one. Maybe somewhere else, but not here in our country. This is the land of "out of sight, out of mind."

Sadly, the less we sing it, the more likely we'd be to forget it. If truth were known, a large number in the stadium don't know the words. As one could see on Chenoweth's video, this is questionable. Either this, or too many people have poor manners or no manners at all.

cj
01-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Ralph, this could be true. How many years was the aptly named, "Oklahoma" on Broadway? Probably one of the longest runner shows ever produced. And how many other artists, aside from Reba McEntire and Vince Gill has Oklahoma produced?

Vince, is from Norman, a self proclaimed nerd, said he used to go to school every day with his guitar, and combed his hair just like Elvis. Reba's from--is it MacAlester or McAlester. I don't know. She was a barrel racing rodeo girl.

I'm not an expert on country music, but Toby Keith, Garth Brooks, and Carrie Underwood are from here.

cj's dad
01-23-2012, 06:08 PM

Alert- cj will not be one of them, he is not in Ok. due to his singing ability.

I however will be visiting soon.....:lol:

JustRalph
01-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Check out this list of Okie singers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_from_Oklahoma#Music

PaceAdvantage
01-23-2012, 09:09 PM
I absolutely do not get all the outage over Tyler's gig. I was expecting so much worse before I actually watched the video. I mean, what did you guys expect? It's Steven freakin Tyler...in his SIXTIES!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grits
01-23-2012, 09:52 PM
I thought 60 was the new 40. Right now, why do I feel as though I have one foot on a banana peel.:lol:

There's hope, I've heard the Stone's are doing the 2017 halftime show.

Rookies
01-24-2012, 12:04 AM

These are not just "songs"; they are inspirational hymns which represent countries and their struggles, and the loyalty and devotion that people have in them...and they should be played only during "special", more formal occasions.

But, if we do choose to play them during sporting events...IMO, it should go something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMI5wpwXTCY&feature=related

Hmmm... interesting thought Thaskalos. When I first visited the United States over 45 years ago, I thought it an odd, peculiar custom that America embodied, singing its anthem before any and every sporting event, from a High School Basketball game through to a Super Bowl. At the time, it wasn't something done in Canada. It is now.

Like you Thaskalos, I believe that if it's gonna be done, it should be done at a very high level, with passion, fervor and spirit and befitting the significance of the event. That's why broken down old lizards like Tyler should be crossed out before they even get asked.

We have been through this before here.

The most electrifying, spinetingling, uplifting version I've ever heard and did so personally 21 years and 4 days ago from my corner end zone seat in Tampa, was this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupsPg5H6aE :ThmbUp:

elysiantraveller
01-24-2012, 12:09 AM
I absolutely do not get all the outage over Tyler's gig. I was expecting so much worse before I actually watched the video. I mean, what did you guys expect? It's Steven freakin Tyler...in his SIXTIES!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't get it either. A washed up rocker trying to rock out one of the most "unrockable" songs there is. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great, he didn't forget anything.

I heard it and thought it was par for the course.

PaceAdvantage
01-24-2012, 12:10 AM
I thought 60 was the new 40. Right now, why do I feel as though I have one foot on a banana peel.:lol:

There's hope, I've heard the Stone's are doing the 2017 halftime show.All I'm saying is, he probably doesn't even sound very good singing his own songs these days...so I guess I was very surprised his Star Spangled Banner version is getting all this (negative) publicity...I actually thought it could have been a lot worse... :lol:

Marshall Bennett
01-24-2012, 07:47 AM
There's hope, I've heard the Stone's are doing the 2017 halftime show.
I could live with that. Don't know if I could sit and watch Jagger sing the anthem though. :D

sandpit
01-25-2012, 12:03 AM
I could live with that. Don't know if I could sit and watch Jagger sing the anthem though. :D

Shouldn't our anthem be sung to us by an American citizen? (I have no idea if Jagger has some sort of dual citizenship.) Otherwise, it kind of misses the point of having the passion that goes with the song.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Tyler did as Tyler does. Sang like that for years. Sang like that within the last 2-3 years when Aerosmith was the Super Bowl Halftime act. I think of it more as 'hard rock singing' more than 'singing'. Most rockers aren't Tony Bennett.

I've enjoyed Kristin's acting and singing for a few years. Watched interviews, like on Leno, etc., she seems to have a wonderful personality and sense of humor, and I imagine a lot more down to earth vs. the Hollywood Divas.

I HAD to find out who she was when I saw her play on "Frasier" as the office assistant to Frasier's Agent.

maddog42
01-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Check out this list of Okie singers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_from_Oklahoma#Music

I went to high school in Norman Oklahoma, and have lived here all my life. Back in the 70's I was in a rock band with a few buddies, but almost every local band was better than us. I remember hearing Mountain Smoke (Vince Gill) in a club in
okc. Many of the local people went on to great musical careers. Lotsa Talent here.
Thanks Ralph for defending the Okie musical heritage. That list is incomplete,
but still informative.
Cj lives about a mile from where Toby Keith grew up and went to school. About 6 years ago the Okies almost swept the CMA awards. Shelton, Reba, Gill
and Brooks and Dunn. Around Nashville they were talking about an Okie conspiracy.

Grits
01-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Mad, you and Cj, shoulda been born with some pipes or taken some singing lessons. You'd be makin' a whole, whole lot mo' money!

Then, too, y'all wouldn't be here, schlepping around with horseplayers.

maddog42
01-25-2012, 11:31 PM
Mad, you and Cj, shoulda been born with some pipes or taken some singing lessons. You'd be makin' a whole, whole lot mo' money!

Then, too, y'all wouldn't be here, schlepping around with horseplayers.

Money isn't everything. Besides, me and CJ have our looks. Whats wrong with chasin wimmin?

cj
01-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Yeah, but where I grew up there was only one country station and I think it was in the high 80s, like 88.9 or something.

maddog42
01-25-2012, 11:35 PM
Money isn't everything. Besides, me and CJ have our looks. Whats wrong with chasin wimmin?

Sorry I got my threads mixed up. Should have been in "War Horse" thread.

Grits
01-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Sorry I got my threads mixed up. Should have been in "War Horse" thread.

War Horse ain't gonna carry one too much farther.;) Still a good flick.

Y'all got anything but country stations, there, in Norman? ANYTHING?

maddog42
01-26-2012, 12:08 AM
War Horse ain't gonna carry one too much farther.;) Still a good flick.

Y'all got anything but country stations, there, in Norman? ANYTHING?

Yeah we also play the Debbils Music, and we also have indoor plumbing.

Grits
01-26-2012, 12:31 AM
Yeah we also play the Debbils Music, and we also have indoor plumbing.

I promise. Norman is probably bigger than 50K population, where I am, darlin'.

cj's dad
01-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Yeah, but where I grew up there was only one country station and I think it was in the high 80s, like 88.9 or something.

WPOC- 93.1 - Redneck all the way

canleakid
01-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Kelly Clarkson (American Karaoke fame or sham :rolleyes: ) will sing the National Anthem for the Super Bowl and Madonna will do the half time show
:confused:

Marshall Bennett
01-26-2012, 07:32 PM
We'll see. Could either be really good or really bad. :confused:

highnote
01-27-2012, 02:31 AM

I love the song and have even been known to sing it in the shower to make sure I don't forget the words. :D

But I totally agree that the U.S. National Anthem is sung far too often.

Every time I go to the races I have to listen to it as it is blared over the public address system. It's disrespectful and distasteful, imho.

However, God forbid that someone doesn't stand or take his hat off. He gets the evil eye from everyone.

Rookies
02-11-2012, 11:48 AM
I guarantee you this little one, has seen Whitney perform her version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrCvMTGs2u8&feature=player_embedded

She is 7 years old..:ThmbUp: