PDA

View Full Version : New to Handicapping

thedoctor200
01-23-2012, 02:04 AM
Hey All
I'm brand new here and have figured out about 6 months ago that I need to learn how to handicap horses so am very fresh to it all. I trawled the internet looking for advice and 'systems'. I've decided all the 'foolproof' systems are rubbish and I need to learn as much as I can for myself and it doesn't work to bet blind.

So for some sage advice. I am living in Australia so will concentrate on Australian horses. I'm fairly proficient with excel and love crunching numbers on form etc - and to be honest I don't bet that often at the moment but still get a big buzz from picking a winner. I'm not sure where to get easily manipulated (i.e. that I can throw into excel) info for Aussie horses so do everything manually - which is very time consuming so am thinking of concentrating on one track only. Is that a good idea?

I am trialling what feels like a million different ways to rate horses to find a winner at value. It's full on - but I love it.

Thanks all, I'm enjoying this site so far!

Cheers
The Doc

raybo
01-23-2012, 10:06 AM
I don't know if Brisnet offers the PP data files for Australian tracks, but they offer them for UK and Ire tracks. That might be an avenue for you to explore. The PP data files are comma-delimited data files that are used in many commercial programs, as well as Excel workbook programs.

If you find that Brisnet does offer Aussie tracks, then you can download a free Excel PPs and handicapping workbook, and database workbook, here: AllDataExcel.weebly.com (http://alldataexcel.weebly.com/)

Welcome to the forum, and the sport!!

rubicon55
01-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Hi, Brisnet does sell PP for Australian Racing and have a few good introductory articles (see below):

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=aprimeronaustralianhorseracingandb etting_p1

thedoctor200
01-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Brilliant, thanks for the guidance, I'll be sure to be picking your brains and sharing my handicapping adventures.

guckers
01-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Welcome to PA. I'm rather new myself, look forward to later discussions.

raybo
01-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Hi, Brisnet does sell PP for Australian Racing and have a few good introductory articles (see below):

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=aprimeronaustralianhorseracingandb etting_p1

Looks like all Brisnet has for Aussie tracks are PDF format, that won't help regarding manual entry of the data in Excel. Maybe sometime in the future Brisnet will add the Aussie data to it's software data files.

mannyberrios
01-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Good luck! Austrailia has some of the best racing in the world

rubicon55
01-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Looks like all Brisnet has for Aussie tracks are PDF format, that won't help regarding manual entry of the data in Excel. Maybe sometime in the future Brisnet will add the Aussie data to it's software data files.

Thanks Raybo, as you can tell not really into Austrailian or European turf racing that much. IMO the racing there is a lot different to me than American Turf racing.

duncan04
01-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Want to get into Australian racing but the pp's are difficult to understand

raybo
01-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks Raybo, as you can tell not really into Austrailian or European turf racing that much. IMO the racing there is a lot different to me than American Turf racing.

I've never played any non-American tracks. There should be some great payouts though, with the large fields and turf being as it is, pretty much of a stampede down the stretch.

The lack of fractional times puts me off, spoiled by all our data.

BIG49010
01-23-2012, 09:27 PM
If you want comma delimited aussie data check out http://www.aapmegaform.com.au/

I used it 10 years or so ago, it was great but rather costly

Seabiscuit@AR
01-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Southcoast Database is another option. It is expensive however

www.southcoastdatabase.com.au

I looked at RISA's paid subscriptions about 2 years ago and they were all poor. Southcoast Database was better. I have not looked at RISA's paid subscriptions in the last 2 years. Their free offerings have improved a lot in these last 2 years though so they might be slowly getting their act together. It will probably take them another few years to get their paid subscriptions up to scratch. But you should check them anyways just in case as they will have the data it is just a matter of them providing it in a user friendly format at a reasonable price

www.risa.com.au