PDA

View Full Version : Moral Question: Reno Fire Starter

Dave Schwartz
01-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Article (http://www.rgj.com/article/20120120/NEWS06/120120001/Washoe-Drive-Fire-Person-who-allegedly-caused-blaze-comes-forward-Criminal-investigation-underway-?odyssey=mod|defcon|text|FRONTPAGE)

Washoe Drive Fire: Person who allegedly caused blaze comes forward; Criminal investigation underway

Moral question: "Should this person be charged with a criminal offense?"

2nd Question: "To what extent should he be held accountable?"

HUSKER55
01-20-2012, 08:39 PM
of coarse if the judge is a democrat getting him to make the felon take responsibility might be a challenge.

I can almost hear the parade, "he has issues", "he is misguided", "he is estranged". When you get to "he is responsible", let us know.:D

LottaKash
01-20-2012, 09:09 PM
I am not sure what to think or believe about this guy...

If he is old, then how old ?....Is he a forgetful sort ?...Then that would explain much....So, without knowing more, I would say that it was just an unfortunate accident of sorts....Unless, of course the guy is a noted sociopath, then that would change everything...I voted no and no....

Still, that was some blaze !....

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp137/lottakash/abc_gma_fire_111119_wl.jpg

best,

Dave Schwartz
01-20-2012, 09:37 PM
This is why I posted the question(s). It is interesting.

On the one hand, we expect people in our society to be responsible for their actions, but on the other hand, a mistake could happen to anyone.

On the first hand, can we really allow mistakes like this to go by without responsibility? On the other hand, can one person, with normal resources, ever be expected to pay it back?

OntheRail
01-20-2012, 10:06 PM
of coarse if the judge is a democrat getting him to make the felon take responsibility might be a challenge.

I can almost hear the parade, "he has issues", "he is misguided", "he is estranged". When you get to "he is responsible", let us know.:D
You made me think of this...
pq28qCklEHc

HUSKER55
01-20-2012, 10:18 PM
that wass a great clip!:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: thanks:D

Greyfox
01-21-2012, 04:11 PM
If it can be demonstrated that his ashes indeed started the fire, then he should be charged with criminal negligence. Certainly he had no intent for what happened to take place, but he is guilty of criminal neglect.

bigmack
01-21-2012, 09:09 PM
I hear on the raditio that he was EXTREMELY remorseful for improperly disposing.

That's good enough for me. Some chump I played tennis with set me up with some flake who had a floral print dress on when I picked her up. (Always a sign of a flake) We go to dinner with a couple she knows. She had the gall to haul out a three page interview about what I was looking for in life, those types of questions. After about 3 questions I told her either she puts the q's away or some fur was gonna fly.

I was EXTREMELY remorseful for the thoughts about killing her, complete with dismemberment, the whole enchilada, on the drive home.

In other words, I can relate to this old geezer on the remorse thing.

(Even though she had it comin')

JustRalph
01-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Intent is everything in these cases.

Reckless and negligent are legal definitions that need to be applied to this case
And then let the state law take its course

Dave Schwartz
01-22-2012, 12:43 AM
After only 9 votes, I find it interesting how we are split: 4-0-1-4.

Two definite extremes and a guy in the middle (which was my vote).

Although, truth be told, I have no idea how any average guy makes (say) $6-$7m in restitution.

It just seems logical to me that he should lose whatever he has.

There was a big fire here a few years ago, the Belli Ranch fire, I believe, that was started by two kids playing with matches. The parents said that they were sorry and volunteered to pay the freight... until they saw the bill. It was like $700,000 for the Fire Department alone, not counting damaged homes.

As I recall, they skated. I mean, what would be the point in doing more?

Robert Goren
01-22-2012, 01:14 AM
Does this guy have a lot of money? You can't get blood out of a turnip.

Dave Schwartz
01-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Washoe City is not a place where people with much money live. It is a small place, although I believe there is a gated community there but it is an old one.

In answer to your question, I am sure that he does not.

DJofSD
01-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Let the district attorney do his job. And, if need be, a grand jury and the court system.

This is one part of government I will not protest my taxes supporting.