PDA

View Full Version : 3rd at Aqu. Today?

bushwick
01-19-2012, 01:43 PM
How can Marquet Rebel still be trained by D. Jacobson if it was claimed from him last start?

Ocala Mike
01-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Haven't looked into this, but horses are claimed away from owners, not trainers. Did Jacobson have an ownership interest prior to the claim, or was he just training the horse? Does he now have an ownership interest, or is he just training the horse? Maybe the new owner kept him on as trainer, or maybe it's simply an error in the program.

Ocala Mike

Dahoss9698
01-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Jacobson isn't the trainer. The horse was entered for this race today before he ran and was claimed last Sunday. He was scratched today and the new trainer is Juan Serey.

Ocala Mike
01-19-2012, 03:18 PM
maybe it's simply an error in the program.

Ocala Mike
:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

bushwick
01-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Thx, Knew it must be something I was missing.

bushwick
01-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Could the new owner keep him on as trainer? This would seem to open the door for alot of SAFETY claiming. Every horse you didnt want to lose you could just have another one of your owners put in a claim and increase your chances incase of a shake.

Ocala Mike
01-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Trainers are "authorized agents" of the owner/owners when they claim horses; I imagine there are rules in place at different racing jurisdictions to prevent too much manipulation. Then again, we're talking NYRA, so who knows?

Ocala Mike

tbwinner
01-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Then again, we're talking NYRA, so who knows?

Ocala Mike

:lol:

But, seriously now, most jurisdictions have a rule on how many days must pass before a claimed horse can be sold. In Illinois it's 30 days. So if I claim a horse I can't sell that for 30 days. Some trainers have under-the-table agreements to not lose a horse by having another trainer "safety" claim it. They claim it under their name, the horse goes back to the same barn, and paperwork is filed 30 days later changing ownership.