PDA

View Full Version : 10 yr. old gets a tattoo ! OK ?

cj's dad
01-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Tattoo honors (?) dead brother- Mom arrested !

http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/national/10-year-old-gets-tattoo-mom-gets-arrested

mostpost
01-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Tattoo honors (?) dead brother- Mom arrested !

http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/national/10-year-old-gets-tattoo-mom-gets-arrested
"What do I say to a child that wants to remember his brother?"
You say "No." You tell the kid when he is of legal age he can do what he wants.
You suggest other ways to remember his brother. A memorial service, a fund in his honor, service to the community. You do not allow a ten year old to go into a tattoo parlor.

Kids have no sense. Adults are supposed to have some.

PhantomOnTour
01-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Ummm...hello...
It's called 'representing'...duh :D

HUSKER55
01-19-2012, 11:24 AM
IT IS a tattoo and obviously it is not infected so who ever did it knew what they were doing.

It was his brother and not a gang affiliation.

it is harmless

cj's dad
01-19-2012, 11:57 AM
I was waiting for a few responses before posting. I think 10 is too young plus in Ga. it is illegal. However, as one who did the same thing when my wife passed away, I can understand the thought process. Wife wore a claddagh ring (bought in Ireland) religiously, and after her death, I had the image tattooed on my right bicep.

I'm still conflicted about the 10 yr. old however.

Actor
01-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Tattoo Artist: How old are you, kid?

Bart Simpson: 21, Sir.

Tattoo Artist: Get in the chair.

sandpit
01-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Tattoo Artist: How old are you, kid?

Bart Simpson: 21, Sir.

Tattoo Artist: Get in the chair.

http://paceadvantage.com/forum/images/smilies/47.gif

BlinkersOn
01-19-2012, 08:06 PM
When people are dealing with grief they don't always choose the right way to go about things. The mother wanted to honor the child's request (which really wasn't good judgment on her part), yet it was up to the tattoo artist to refuse and explain the reasoning. Just my thoughts.

highnote
01-19-2012, 11:59 PM
... yet it was up to the tattoo artist to refuse and explain the reasoning.

Ask a tattoo artist to refuse to give a tattoo is like asking a cow to not eat grass. There's probably a better metaphor for this. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattoo

Tattooing among females of the Koita people of Papua New Guinea traditionally began at age five and was added to each year, with the V-shaped tattoo on the chest indicating that she had reached marriageable age...

Should all the adult Koita parents be arrested for giving their 5 year olds tattoos? If not, then why are American parents arrested?

Tattoos are so ubiquitous now that it is really no big deal to have one.

That said, I probably wouldn't want my kids to get one until they are adults, but if one of them really wanted one in honor of a deceased relative, family member or classmate then I would probably allow it. I know it would cause a lot controversy in the town, but I would explain to my kids why it would be controversial and hopefully they would hold off until a later time.

TJDave
01-20-2012, 12:15 AM
Tattoos are so ubiquitous now that it is really no big deal to have one.

Not true, as most mainstream companies require they be hidden from view. I'd venture a guess that most employers discreetly discriminate against potential candidates with tattoos. I know if I were hiring they wouldn't get past the door. I wouldn't tell them why, they just wouldn't get the job.

JustRalph
01-20-2012, 01:07 AM
Not true, as most mainstream companies require they be hidden from view. I'd venture a guess that most employers discreetly discriminate against potential candidates with tattoos. I know if I were hiring they wouldn't get past the door. I wouldn't tell them why, they just wouldn't get the job.

Ding !

highnote
01-20-2012, 01:29 AM

Not true. If my main employer (jointly owned by 2 fortune 500 companies) discriminated against people wearing tattoos there would be almost no employees and the same goes with a lot of my other fortune 500 clients -- especially in Manhattan. But the east and west coasts tend to be more on the front of the fashion curve -- which is what tattoos in the U.S. generally are, as far as I can tell.

Did you know that Great Britain's name was derived from its tattooed inhabitants?

Britons translating as 'people of the designs' and the Picts, who originally inhabited the northern part of Britain, literally meaning 'the painted people'.

British people remain the most tattooed in Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattoo

"The people of the forms" is believed to be a reference to the practice by the inhabitants of painting or tattooing their skin.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_did_Britain_get_its_name#ixzz1jycrpDyd

Now, I would venture a guess that British companies hire British people despite their tattoos.

PhantomOnTour
01-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Mom was arrested.
Now everyone has gone too far:

mom
the tattoo artist
the police

BlueShoe
01-20-2012, 10:55 AM
In my opinion 50 is too young to get a tattoo, let alone 10.:rolleyes: Have always been revolted by tattoos and consider them a form of self multilation. Rarely do I agree with Mosty on anything, but his remarks in post #2 are right on target. :ThmbUp:

highnote
01-20-2012, 01:48 PM
In my opinion 50 is too young to get a tattoo, let alone 10.:rolleyes: Have always been revolted by tattoos and consider them a form of self multilation. Rarely do I agree with Mosty on anything, but his remarks in post #2 are right on target. :ThmbUp:

In your culture and in your belief system they are self-mutalation.

In many cultures the tattoo designates rank.

And as I wrote a couple of posts earlier, Great Britain literally got its name from tattooing and Brits are the most tattooed people in Europe.

Just because you have a set of beliefs does not mean that everyone should have the same beliefs as you.

If this mother believed she was doing an honorable thing and her child felt he or she was doing an honorable thing then I don't see that there was enough harm done to warrant her arrest.

God knows there are more important things for the police to be doing than arresting mothers who allow their kids to get a tattoo to honor someone.

PhantomOnTour
01-20-2012, 01:52 PM
I am willing to bet that big companies do discriminate aginst folks with a tattoo that is VISIBLE while wearing business attire.

Sorry...you may be qualified as all hell but you ain't gonna get hired with a neck tattoo or some Mike Tyson facial design...NO WAY.
What if your doctor hand hand tats and pierced eyebrows and a huge plug in his ear? Still feel comfortable about him opening you up?
How bout if the pilot of an airline you are flying happens to show up tattoed like Kid Rock...feeling safe?
Not me.

highnote
01-20-2012, 11:57 PM
I am willing to bet that big companies do discriminate aginst folks with a tattoo that is VISIBLE while wearing business attire.

I am sure that some people who do the hiring would discriminate against people with tattoos -- especially if the tattoos are outside the norm. However, there was a time when any visible tattoo was outside the norm.

However, if you lived in ancient Britain and you did NOT have a tattoo you would be considered outside the norm.

To paraphrase Joseph Campbell -- at any particular time in history what is considered a vice would be a virtue in another period of history and vice-versa.

Sorry...you may be qualified as all hell but you ain't gonna get hired with a neck tattoo or some Mike Tyson facial design...NO WAY.

I've seen Mike Tyson get parts in movies. He got hired.

What if your doctor hand hand tats and pierced eyebrows and a huge plug in his ear? Still feel comfortable about him opening you up?

If I had hand tattoos, pierced eyebrows and a huge plug in my ear, yes, I would feel comfortable going to a doctor who looked like me.

How bout if the pilot of an airline you are flying happens to show up tattoed like Kid Rock...feeling safe?
Not me.

I'd definitely feel safe. Doesn't bother me at all.

A lot of women I work in the corporate world with have tattoos nowadays. Female school teachers and female corporate executives oftentimes have tattoes on their ankles or even a pierced nose. I hire a woman who has tattoos and a tongue piercing and send her on jobs with my fortune 500 clients at the company headquarters to work with the CEOs.

I work with a guy who wears shorts to work and has big tattoo on his calf. Another guy at work has tattoes covering most of both of his arms. No one cares. They do their job and are good at it.

I don't know where you live, but your experience seems much different than mine.

Ironically, I don't have a single tattoo. I can't decide between a large tattoo on my back or nipple rings. What the hell... maybe I'll get both. :D