PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see/hear about the Beulah Race 4 yesterday?

camourous
01-19-2012, 07:46 AM
In the 4th at Beulah the #2 Sterling Emblem a 23-1 shot had about a 5 length lead in the stretch when Alberto Pusac stopped riding between the 1/8 pole and 1/16 pole. Apparently he misjudged the finish line, which to me is hard to believe since he's a veteran jock and he stopped riding between poles, i could maybe see it if he stopped riding at the 1/16 pole, but he clearly eases up between the poles.. Any one else have opinions here?

netbet
01-19-2012, 08:39 AM
That was weird. Horse looked home free at 23-1.

You can watch the replay here.

http://www.beulahpark.com/New07/video/replays.php

thaskalos
01-19-2012, 08:40 AM
In the 4th at Beulah the #2 Sterling Emblem a 23-1 shot had about a 5 length lead in the stretch when Alberto Pusac stopped riding between the 1/8 pole and 1/16 pole. Apparently he misjudged the finish line, which to me is hard to believe since he's a veteran jock and he stopped riding between poles, i could maybe see it if he stopped riding at the 1/16 pole, but he clearly eases up between the poles.. Any one else have opinions here?
I can't accept that a veteran rider can misjudge the finish line by that much.

Very suspicious looking ride, IMO.

bushwick
01-19-2012, 08:52 AM
That was my observation also. Between the poles seemed odd.

cj
01-19-2012, 08:57 AM

Especially considering the purses are so small. It is one of the few tracks where you might make more money betting than you can winning a race.

jerry-g
01-19-2012, 09:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17fQXPnWQ1c&feature=related

Could you feel sorry for this jock?

johnhannibalsmith
01-19-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm glad that others have a hard time with the official theory that he misjudged the wire. I can't wait to hear what he says. I'm not too familiar with Beulah, but I watched it a few times and I'd be willing to believe a few variations on what was happening there, but misjudging the finish seems like a peculiar explanation.

It really doesn't look in any way throughout the race like he's trying to get the horse beat, but something went through the guy's head and nothing really makes a lot of sense.

cosmicway
01-19-2012, 10:35 AM
In UK I saw one who took the wrong course and ran towards the village nearby. Obstacle race, he was leading the group and looked like a sure winner, last fance I think it was.

Midnight Cruiser
01-19-2012, 10:45 AM

Even though it appeared the jockey stood up for whatever reason and slowed the horse down, if he stays down he would have probably been caught in the last couple of jumps at the wire imho mc

BlueShoe
01-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Interesting race from more than one angle. The official chart states that the rider misjudged the finish and started riding again later. That said, the mare appeared to be done and stopping badly. She very likely would have lost even under a vigorous ride. Contrary to what most fans believe, many runners do not do any better under strong urging and whipping, they are already doing their best without the punishment. Something else caught my eye watching the rerun; a late odds plunge runner that lost. Note that the #3 was 9-5 in the early running and then dropped to 4-5 down the backside. These types do not always win, and these late drops are not always so called "smart money."

ponyplayerdotca
01-19-2012, 11:29 AM
It looks like he purposely waited for the others to catch his horse because he wasn't SUPPOSED to win the race, if you know what I mean.

Suspicious how he is whipping the horse, then realizing the others weren't getting close to him as he thought they would he immediately ceased the stickwork. Then, when the top 2 finally caught him and started going by, he resumed his whipping like he had never stopped.

Gotta love small track shenanigans, eh?

thaskalos
01-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Interesting race from more than one angle. The official chart states that the rider misjudged the finish and started riding again later. That said, the mare appeared to be done and stopping badly. She very likely would have lost even under a vigorous ride. Contrary to what most fans believe, many runners do not do any better under strong urging and whipping, they are already doing their best without the punishment. Something else caught my eye watching the rerun; a late odds plunge runner that lost. Note that the #3 was 9-5 in the early running and then dropped to 4-5 down the backside. These types do not always win, and these late drops are not always so called "smart money."
Really? Horses don't do any better down the stretch when they are "strongly urged"?

I wonder why vigorous hand rides are so popular then.

BlueShoe
01-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Really? Horses don't do any better down the stretch when they are "strongly urged"?
Some do, some do not. There are a few that will sulk and quit when hit. Countless interviews with jocks have quoted them as commenting that all the horse needed was to show them the stick or shake it at them, or some such similar remark. Some horses are like lazy people, they require strong urging and need to be gotten after in order to put out an effort. Others do their best without any urging. There have been proposals to ban whips altogether at racetracks. Have never gone anywhere, and personally am against such bans, but some think that it is a good idea.

Dahoss2002
01-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Just watched it. Love the announcer's call, "Ohh what a change of scenery here in the final furlong"

Cardus
01-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Just watched it. Love the announcer's call, "Ohh what a change of scenery here in the final furlong"

What a difference 4-6 years make.

Futchie
01-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Did anyone catch the last race there...the second plaec horse cleraly gets impeded by the winner...after a long lengthy reveiw...no change. Whole place is sketchy if you ask me

Cardus
01-19-2012, 03:50 PM
In the late 80s/early 90s, Beulah had large fields and boxcar payoffs.

therussmeister
01-19-2012, 07:46 PM

It looks like he purposely waited for the others to catch his horse because he wasn't SUPPOSED to win the race, if you know what I mean.

Suspicious how he is whipping the horse, then realizing the others weren't getting close to him as he thought they would he immediately ceased the stickwork. Then, when the top 2 finally caught him and started going by, he resumed his whipping like he had never stopped.

Gotta love small track shenanigans, eh?

So you don't think he could find a less obvious way to lose? He just remembered at the 1/16 pole he's not supposed to win.

FiveWide
01-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Wow, epic fail!

-Five

davew
01-19-2012, 10:12 PM
guy needs an eye exam / antifog goggles

that big pole, should be smaller than the finish line pole

Dave Schwartz
01-19-2012, 11:23 PM
What happens in a case like the Beulah race? Will there be a serious suspension? There should be. I mean, a mistake like that should cost him a month or two IMHO. It damages the integrity of the game.

ranchwest
01-19-2012, 11:34 PM
I was anticipating viewing a mistake. It didn't look like a mistake to me.

maddog42
01-19-2012, 11:57 PM
So you don't think he could find a less obvious way to lose? He just remembered at the 1/16 pole he's not supposed to win.

That would be the stupidest way to cheat I have ever heard of. More likely a brainfart or confusion.

JustRalph
01-20-2012, 01:05 AM
What happens in a case like the Beulah race? Will there be a serious suspension? There should be. I mean, a mistake like that should cost him a month or two IMHO. It damages the integrity of the game.

Don't worry, they will get to him. The bar in Cleveland where the racing inspector drinks closes in about another hour and he will start heading south. There are only 2 or 3 places to eat on the way down 71 so he should be there by 9am easy.

RXB
01-20-2012, 01:11 AM
Don't worry, they will get to him. The bar in Cleveland where the racing inspector drinks closes in about another hour and he will start heading south. There are only 2 or 3 places to eat on the way down 71 so he should be there by 9am easy.

LOL LOL LOL

NY BRED
01-20-2012, 05:40 AM
What do you expect after a blistering 117 and change # for

6 fg?

:eek: :lol: :confused:

thaskalos
01-20-2012, 08:27 AM
Well...that's the REAL problem, right there!

These things wouldn't even happen if they received the suspensions they deserve...and the game's reputation would be a lot better as a result.

There are laws in the books which would go a long way towards eliminating some of the "garbage" that we see out there...but these laws are ignored by the stewards.

When a horse shows a remarkable form reversal, which is anticipated by suspicious tote board action, the trainer is supposed to pay a visit to the stewards to explain things.

Is this ever done...and when have we ever heard of a trainer penalized for that sort of thing?

Years ago...I met a well known trainer at the Mud Bug OTB in Chicago, and asked him this very question.

"Trainers have ready-made answers for situations like these"...he told me.

"If they ever do get called in to see the stewards for something like a suspicious form reversal, all they have to say is something like this:

'You wouldn't believe it. The horse had been surly for weeks now, but a few days ago, a little goat walks into my barn. Horse perks up right away...and is back to his former self. Eats everything in sight, and his whole demeanor is different.

They've been inseparable ever since...'

You'd be surprised how effective things like these are..." he told me.

precocity
01-20-2012, 08:46 AM
wtf if i had many on that :2: i would be extremely pissed! jockey error B.S. he threw that race!

thaskalos
01-20-2012, 09:02 AM
You only have to be subtle when you have respect for the intelligence of your competition.

If you think that they are fools...you can be as obvious as you wanna be.

jdhanover
01-20-2012, 09:33 AM
It looked like an honest mistake to me. But he should be suspended.

maddog42
01-20-2012, 09:59 AM
I am a little more suspicious of what might have caused the jockey to make such an obvious mistake. Drunk last night and hungover? Pills to get "up" for riding? I don't know. A suspension is in order. Inebriation is more likely than
cheating.

FantasticDan
01-20-2012, 05:31 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/beulah-park-jockey-pusac-suspended-three-days-letting-mount

johnhannibalsmith
01-20-2012, 05:44 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/beulah-park-jockey-pusac-suspended-three-days-letting-mount

Thanks. :ThmbUp:

chico9166
01-20-2012, 05:49 PM
As per the article--first of all, Pusac could never explain in English what really happened. He's only been in the states since 1991.

The only thing more funny than listening to those making excuses for this joke of a ride, is how really bad he is at cheating. Incredible.

thaskalos
01-20-2012, 06:25 PM
The punishment was a little stiffer than I had anticipated.

I hope he can afford the fine...

therussmeister
01-20-2012, 08:22 PM

Assuming he has an agent that needs to get paid, the fine is about 3 1/2 winning jockey's fees.

cj
01-20-2012, 08:32 PM

"Joe Deluca, one of the three Beulah Park stewards, said Pusac told them his mount saw the starting gate and tractor in the stretch of the mile and 70-yard event and he thought she was going to prop. "

That has to be one of the lamest excuses I've ever read.

lamboguy
01-20-2012, 10:29 PM
the announcer did say "its a change of scenery"

jeebus1083
01-20-2012, 10:30 PM

I can sum both the excuse and the length of the suspension up in two words:

BULL SHIT

I don't play mind to Beulah, but after this, I'll be sure never to place a dime on the Ohio tracks again.

jeebus1083
01-20-2012, 10:33 PM

Stiff?? The crook got a slap on the wrist. This would have been a 6-month to 1-year ban anywhere else in the world. The Ohio stewards needed to make an example of this dude. 3 days is such a friggin joke. He'll do his time and the band will play on.

PaceAdvantage
01-21-2012, 12:39 AM
I have no clue what happened out there, but there is little logic to the charges of cheating. Why would anyone be looking to stiff a longshot? If he was riding one of the favorites I could understand...

And given the highly unlikely scenario that he was intentionally trying to get this horse beat, why would he ride him like that from the beginning?

Go out to the front and secure a nice easy lead when he could have tried to bury him in traffic? Makes no sense whatsoever...plus he's whipping and driving as they turn for home!!!

I have no clue what really happened out there, but to say he was looking to stiff the horse makes absolutely no sense to me based on the odds and the ride up until mid-stretch...

RXB
01-21-2012, 01:31 AM
I agree totally with what PA said.

AlbertButtry
01-21-2012, 01:55 AM
I have no clue what happened out there, but there is little logic to the charges of cheating. Why would anyone be looking to stiff a longshot? If he was riding one of the favorites I could understand...

And given the highly unlikely scenario that he was intentionally trying to get this horse beat, why would he ride him like that from the beginning?

Go out to the front and secure a nice easy lead when he could have tried to bury him in traffic? Makes no sense whatsoever...plus he's whipping and driving as they turn for home!!!

I have no clue what really happened out there, but to say he was looking to stiff the horse makes absolutely no sense to me based on the odds and the ride up until mid-stretch... I agree with you 100% Pace. If you are going to stiff one you would not make it that obvious. When I first watched I thought she looked like she was going to prop. Looked like the rider got scared to me. I thought he was going to bail.

thaskalos
01-21-2012, 02:56 AM

I have no clue what really happened out there, but to say he was looking to stiff the horse makes absolutely no sense to me based on the odds and the ride up until mid-stretch...
Most of us have been around for a long time, and have seeing practically EVERYTHING take place at the racetrack.

We have seen jockeys misjudge the finish wire...and we have seen them do less than their best during the running of the race.

By the jockey's own admission, this was not a wire misjudging incident. So, what was it?

Are we supposed to believe the lame excuse he provided to the stewards?

I have watched the race many times...and nowhere does the horse appear about to "prop".

In fact, the horse appears to be in complete control of the race...up until she is pulled up.

And Pusac's comment that "after a few jumps the horse seemed okay so he resumed riding"...is equally ridiculous.

The horse did NOTHING to show that she "seemed okay"...and Pusac only resumed riding when it was obvious that the horse was beaten!

You say that the allegations of cheating are unfounded.

I disagree VEHEMENTLY!

Anytime a jockey pulls up on a horse down the stretch, without being obstructed, only to resume whipping the horse a couple of strides later...then this jockey has "cheated" the bettors out of their rightful share of the mutuel pool -- and these bettors deserve an explanation.

It's not the bettors' job to figure out "what really happened out there"; the fact that they didn't get an honest run for their money is enough...

And the fact that Pusac felt it unnecessary to comment on the race shows the high esteem in which the bettors are held in this game.

NJ Stinks
01-21-2012, 03:08 AM
Uh-oh. I agree with both Thaskalos and PA. :confused:

Mr_Ed
01-21-2012, 03:24 AM
Just a brain cramp.

Race time fit the slow track that day (and day before).

Gimmicks looked good. In fact, they were huge, IMHO. 3rd choice won, favorite 2nd. A couple 25-1 shots for 3rd and 4th in a 7 horse field.

Per.......$57 ($2)
tri........$700 ($2)
super....$400 for a dime!

My opinion had he continued riding..........would have won.

Give him the George Bailey to Uncle Billy shakedown after Uncle Billy stuck that 8 grand in a newspaper and handed it to Mr. Potter.

therussmeister
01-21-2012, 12:43 PM
"Joe Deluca, one of the three Beulah Park stewards, said Pusac told them his mount saw the starting gate and tractor in the stretch of the mile and 70-yard event and he thought she was going to prop. "

That has to be one of the lamest excuses I've ever read.
He should have told them he tripped and fell in the life boat.

cj
01-21-2012, 02:54 PM
It does seem pretty silly to stiff a horse so obviously, but didn't this exact thing happen with Fallon in England that led to a big investigation?

JustRalph
01-21-2012, 05:27 PM
It does seem pretty silly to stiff a horse so obviously, but didn't this exact thing happen with Fallon in England that led to a big investigation?

I have discussed this with a few people and for the life of me I cannot figure out why he would do this, but the more I watch the video the more I think he did it on purpose........it looks so obvious :bang:

ranchwest
01-21-2012, 09:37 PM
I have no idea what happened, but here are some possibilities:

1) Jockey shafted the trainer

2) It looked like he waited until he was sure the other two horses passed him and then resumed riding. The jockeys could have been in cahoots.

3) Jockey had a major brain fart

Since we're on the topic of obvious, don't forget about Sylvester "the fog jockey" Carmouche. He parked his horse in the chute until the other horses came back around and then won by a huge margin and set a track record in a bottom rung claimer. Obvious can happen.

5k-claim
01-21-2012, 11:20 PM
As per the article--first of all, Pusac could never explain in English what really happened. He's only been in the states since 1991.

The only thing more funny than listening to those making excuses for this joke of a ride, is how really bad he is at cheating. Incredible.Q1: Why would he have to explain what happened in English?

Q2: How do you feel about people who cannot read English?

menifee
01-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Uh-oh. I agree with both Thaskalos and PA. :confused:

I cannot believe this, but I actually agree with PA as well. If he wanted to stiff the horse, he would not have ridden him in this fashion and made it so obvious.

PaceAdvantage
01-22-2012, 03:10 AM
If you're gonna fix a race, you want the favorite TO LOSE and a longshot TO WIN.

I've never heard of anyone fixing a race so that a nice, fat, juicy priced horse looking every bit the winner is suddenly pulled up so he can't win...it just makes absolutely ZERO sense.

For over 3/4s of the race he just totally FORGOT he wasn't supposed to win, and instead rode the horse like a tremendous machine? I guess anything is possible.

I don't even know who the rider of this race was (too lazy to look it up), or whether he is a journeyman or an apprentice. Maybe he's just a crap rider who mistakenly thought something was going wrong with his horse and panicked for a moment...then invented some stupid story to cover his own massive incompetence.

Whatever the case may be, you will never convince me he purposely wanted to lose that race.

Pace Cap'n
01-22-2012, 07:56 AM

The only thing more funny than listening to those making excuses for this joke of a ride, is how really bad he is at cheating. Incredible.

As per the article--he's only been in the states since 2006. It is possible he's telling the truth (feared a prop). Ever gone flying off a horse at speed? I have, and it ain't fun.

Tom
01-22-2012, 09:50 AM
If you're gonna fix a race, you want the favorite TO LOSE and a longshot TO WIN.

I've never heard of anyone fixing a race so that a nice, fat, juicy priced horse looking every bit the winner is suddenly pulled up so he can't win...it just makes absolutely ZERO sense.

What about big purses for cheap horses we see so often nowadays?
Might be a lot more than you can make off of a bet.

cosmo96
01-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Obviously, there was some funny stuff going on at Beulah. But, why would a jock keep a longshot from winning? What was the advantage? Beulah is not high profile. I would think the mob/bad guys would be more interested in the big tracks and races. Can someone explain this? Unless it was fixed, the paltry purse at Beulah was better than nothing.

JustRalph
01-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Obviously, there was some funny stuff going on at Beulah. But, why would a jock keep a longshot from winning? What was the advantage? Beulah is not high profile. I would think the mob/bad guys would be more interested in the big tracks and races. Can someone explain this? Unless it was fixed, the paltry purse at Beulah was better than nothing.

I don't think the mob is involved, but I can tell you that there is organized crime involved in things in Columbus. They used to be involved in harness racing in the 70's and 80's but the numbers were so low and are even worse now, I can't imagine with the small pools, they would care about racing now.

Don't get in the way of their vending interests though.........that can get you killed

SharpCat
01-22-2012, 11:11 PM
[QUOTE=PaceAdvantage]If you're gonna fix a race, you want the favorite TO LOSE and a longshot TO WIN.

For over 3/4s of the race he just totally FORGOT he wasn't supposed to win, and instead rode the horse like a tremendous machine? I guess anything is possible.

I don't even know who the rider of this race was (too lazy to look it up), or whether he is a journeyman or an apprentice. Maybe he's just a crap rider who mistakenly thought something was going wrong with his horse and panicked for a moment...then invented some stupid story to cover his own massive incompetence.

Whatever the case may be, you will never convince me he purposely wanted to lose that race.[/QUOTE

Agree 100%. I watched the replay several times and it appears to me the horse just hit a brick wall about mid stretch. Definately not the best ride in the stretch but I think that horse was going to finish 3rd regardless.

AlbertButtry
01-23-2012, 01:44 AM

Whatever the case may be, you will never convince me he purposely wanted to lose that race.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Mr_Ed
01-23-2012, 03:49 AM
Stopping short is a great first date tactic.

ranchwest
01-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Keep in mind that the fog episode I mentioned above involved such a small purse that Carmouche couldn't be charged with a felony and therefore wasn't handed a long-term suspension (until he was convicted of a related perjury charge, which was a felony). People do crazy stuff for small money if they figure they can get away with it.

maddog42
01-25-2012, 10:30 PM
The Jockey brain-fart explanation makes the most sense. People (especially horse players) are quick to see machiavellian plots behind every grassy noll. Of course cheating takes place. You cannot find a human endeavour where it doesn't. You guys are a little too hard on the Jockeys. I think the suspension was just about right. It will teach him to keep his head out of his ass. PA is right. Not much else makes sense.

ranchwest
01-25-2012, 11:18 PM
The Jockey brain-fart explanation makes the most sense. People (especially horse players) are quick to see machiavellian plots behind every grassy noll. Of course cheating takes place. You cannot find a human endeavour where it doesn't. You guys are a little too hard on the Jockeys. I think the suspension was just about right. It will teach him to keep his head out of his ass. PA is right. Not much else makes sense.
My former home track was Delta Downs, years ago. I can assure you my concern over jockeys is justified by what I saw there.