PDA

View Full Version : Putting his money where his mouth is.

mostpost
01-19-2012, 02:03 AM
I have heard it asked several times here, "If Warren Buffet is so concerned about the deficit, why doesn't he send a check to Treasury?"

Well, Warren is doing just that.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/impressed-delighted-warren-buffett-matches-204656439.html

He is matching any voluntary contributions to pay down the debt that are made by Republican members of Congress. The first such contribution was made by Rep. Scott Rigell, a Republican representing Virginia. ($49,000)

I wonder how long we will have to wait before Warren has to shell out more money? I suspect quite a while.

bigmack
01-19-2012, 02:21 AM
$49,000 by a CON? My hero. :jump:

Hold your breath, MostPost, NJ, Rookies... When a D coughs-up a nickel, let it out.

Who should we contact with your most certain demise?

Tom
01-19-2012, 07:49 AM
That $49 grand paid for 10 minutes of AF1 hauling the first ass around the country.

ArlJim78
01-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Buffett did not put his money where his mouth is, this is merely another political stunt on behalf of his friends in the administration.

Republicans aren't calling for an increase in the capital gains tax, he is.
Republicans aren't saying that their taxes are too low, he is.
So how brave of one of the richest men in the world to match whatever Republicans put up. The only way to put his money where his mouth is would be if he were to write a billion dollar check to the treasury. That would be leadership.

The fact remains that he pays the minimum possible tax and uses and army of lawyers and lobbyists in order to do so.

He's making the claim that voluntary contributions won't reduce the deficit, well neither will an across the board increase in the tax rate.

lsbets
01-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Warren Buffet, the man who has benefited more than anyone on earth from the government bailouts. Real great man - buying influence to enrich himself. He embodies the corruption of our system, and the Obamabots aren't smart enough to figure it out.

cj's dad
01-19-2012, 12:09 PM
I will be writing a check also. It will be for $.03 !

This amount should proportionally match Buffet's check which he hasn't written to this point. He is waiting until April 20th to do so. I will do the same.

Tax purposes you know.

boxcar
01-19-2012, 12:11 PM
I have heard it asked several times here, "If Warren Buffet is so concerned about the deficit, why doesn't he send a check to Treasury?"

Well, Warren is doing just that.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/impressed-delighted-warren-buffett-matches-204656439.html

He is matching any voluntary contributions to pay down the debt that are made by Republican members of Congress. The first such contribution was made by Rep. Scott Rigell, a Republican representing Virginia. ($49,000)

I wonder how long we will have to wait before Warren has to shell out more money? I suspect quite a while.

Why can't he voluntarily do it by himself? Why does he need help? Why is he so insecure? And do you realize how ridiculous an amount 49K is? This is going to pay down the debt? This will pay down the debt about as much as a beleaguered homeowner's 10-cent check to the bank to pay down his mortgage. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

boxcar
01-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Buffett did not put his money where his mouth is, this is merely another political stunt on behalf of his friends in the administration.

Republicans aren't calling for an increase in the capital gains tax, he is.
Republicans aren't saying that their taxes are too low, he is.
So how brave of one of the richest men in the world to match whatever Republicans put up. The only way to put his money where his mouth is would be if he were to write a billion dollar check to the treasury. That would be leadership.

The fact remains that he pays the minimum possible tax and uses and army of lawyers and lobbyists in order to do so.

He's making the claim that voluntary contributions won't reduce the deficit, well neither will an across the board increase in the tax rate.

What would be even more impressive than writing a check to the corrupt government is to write it to a legitimate charity where it would be known to do some actual good. There are a lot of hungry people in the world. Amazing Buffet has no interest in helping them out, but is supposedly all gun-ho to helping out the crooks in our government -- as long as he can do it with fanfare?

Buffet reminds me of the hypocritical Pharisees of Jesus' day who always paraded their religiosity around for all to see because they loved the praises of men. Likewise, Buffet parades his "generosity" around for the whole world to see, instead of giving quietly or even in secret -- not allowing the right hand to know what the left is doing; for he, too, loves the praises of the Mostys of the world.

Boxcar

NJ Stinks
01-19-2012, 12:25 PM
This is going to pay down the debt? This will pay down the debt about as much as a beleaguered homeowner's 10-cent check to the bank to pay down his mortgage. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Of course, it never occurred to righties like you that this will pay down the debt about as much as a 15% tax rate on capital gains.

Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees....:rolleyes:

badcompany
01-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Buy American. I Am.

By WARREN E. BUFFETT

Published: October 16, 2008

THE financial world is a mess, both in the United States and abroad. Its problems, moreover, have been leaking into the general economy, and the leaks are now turning into a gusher. In the near term, unemployment will rise, business activity will falter and headlines will continue to be scary.

So ... I’ve been buying American stocks. This is my personal account I’m talking about,in which I previously owned nothing but United States government bonds. (This description leaves aside my Berkshire Hathaway holdings, which are all committed to philanthropy.) If prices keep looking attractive, my non-Berkshire net worth will soon be 100 percent in United States equities.

Note the part I bolded. Buffet is a slick operator. After the market tanked he runs in like the white knight telling everyone to buy stocks, but the fact that all his money was in gov't bonds, infers that at some point earlier he had sold out all his stocks.

Where was his "Sell American" piece in the Times? It doesn't exist. Funny how no one in the media picked up on this.

Tom
01-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Some reality about the "rich!"

http://www.financialsamurai.com/2011/04/12/how-much-money-do-the-top-income-earners-make-percent/

THE RICH WILL ALWAYS PAY MORE THAN THEIR FAIR SHARE

As the economy continues to recover, it’s likely that the top 1% of income earners will likely pay an even higher percentage share of overall income taxes than 38%. If things were fair, they would only have to pay 20% of total income taxes since 20% is their share of total income. Alas, the rich pay almost double what they owe.

http://www.financialsamurai.com/2011/10/12/who-are-the-top-1-income-earners/

Obama is one of the 1%ers, you know.

Robert Goren
01-19-2012, 02:46 PM
At least we know what Obama pays in Taxes and how much he makes. Romney is the first presidental candidiate that I can remember that hasn't released his tax returns.

bigmack
01-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Of course, it never occurred to righties like you that this will pay down the debt about as much as a 15% tax rate on capital gains.

Hey, Einstein, it's a 'righty' that coughed-up the $49K. Where can I find a 'lefty' that ponied-up a nickel?

Tom
01-19-2012, 03:12 PM
At least we know what Obama pays in Taxes and how much he makes. Romney is the first presidental candidiate that I can remember that hasn't released his tax returns.

He is not the candidate yet.
He is going to....at his timing, not Newt's.
At least we know about Mitt the man.
Why is Obama hiding his college writings? What is he hiding?
Do yo remember a prez candidate that has hidden all his previous live?

boxcar
01-19-2012, 03:30 PM

You're right. The rate should be lowered. And the income tax rates should be lowered. And taxes on corporations should be lowered, and even done away with, since consumers really pay the taxes for corporations. Then, we put a cap on spending. Then watch the debt shrink.

Boxcar

boxcar
01-19-2012, 03:32 PM

Is he required to by law? If I were Mitt, I'd stick by the challenge he gave to Obama about his college records. But I know that gutless wonder won't. A worm has more of a spine than he does.

Boxcar

lsbets
01-21-2012, 01:53 PM
More Warren Buffet crony capitalism news. Now that the pipeline is not happening, oil is going to have to move by rail, and as North Dakota's production increases the demand for rail will increase with no hopes of new pipelines.

What rail company will benefit most from that? Burlington Northern.

What individual will benefit from that?

Yep, good ole Warren. The dude works the system for his profits. He is a shining example of what is wrong with our nation today. But, he spent his money well when he bought Obama.