PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Player works, when Windows Media Player won't.

trying2win
12-14-2003, 06:02 PM
Lately, I haven't been able to get the Windows Media Player 7.1 to work on my computer. I have a Windows 98 operating system. No matter what I try, I keep getting error messages like
"NETWORK CONNECTION HAS FAILED", or "DATA FILE IS INVALID etc." Then when I click on details, it claims my cable connection is loose, or lists other possible reasons why it's not working.. If these above-mentioned reasons are true, how come if you have the option of using the REAL ONE PLAYER and click on the media file, it works fine? I think the problem is with the Windows Media Player, and not with my cable connection, or the data file!

--Anyways, I just did a GOOGLE search for media players, and found a site for a dandy free, new one named the ULTRA PLAYER. It says it will play Windows Media Player video files. I downloaded the ULTRA PLAYER, and by golly it does play these video files!

--Although I've successfully played video files (live streaming and archived), the ULTRA PLAYER hasn't worked 100% on every media file I've tried to play so far. It's still been a big improvement in my opinion, versus using the Windows Media Player. The ULTRA PLAYER streamed the live video from HAWTHORNE PARK just fine. I've also been able to play back archived race replays from Hawthorne and Cal Expo. I even tried clicking on an old time radio show file...worked super on that as well. The one place it didn't work was the live streaming video from Golden Gate racetrack. Don't know why.

--Oh well, at least I can play some media files at various websites now,that previously didn't give you an option other than using the Windows Media Player. So, if you're having trouble playing media files with your Windows Media Player, you might give the ULTRA PLAYER a try. Here's a link to their website to get more info on the specfications your computer must have, to use the ULTRA PLAYER etc:

http://www.ultraplayer.com/

Trying2win

Dave Schwartz
12-14-2003, 08:29 PM
T2W,

Not trying to bail MS out here, but it could still be the connection - not the physical connection but the connection to THAT server. And, since RealPlayer uses a different file it is POSSIBLE that the server vening the WMP file was overloaded while the RP server was not.

After having seen so many great, high-tech posts from Ralph I'd be interested in hearing HIS opinion on this.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

...Who has given up on the catchy taglines thingy.

trying2win
12-14-2003, 09:02 PM
DAVE,

--Thanks for your comments. Yes, anything's possible. I still have my doubts about different servers being overloaded though. In the past, whenever I've tried to access some racetracks' live video and if the server was overloaded, I would usually get an error message like: "THE SERVER HAS REACHED IT'S CAPACITY, PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER."

--Like I mentioned before, if the Windows Media Player isn't working, it's nice to have the option of using another media player as a substitute.

--I don't see any other PA member mentioning that they're having problems with the Windows Media Player lately. It's possible that I have a technical glitch of one sort or another in my computer, that's interferring with the proper operation of the Windows Media Player. Whatever, I'm happy to able to use the Ultra Player instead.

Trying2win

JustRalph
12-14-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
After having seen so many great, high-tech posts from Ralph I'd be interested in hearing HIS opinion on this. Regards,
Dave Schwartz...Who has given up on the catchy taglines thingy.

Media player problems are often related to the host system and the connnection to the net........

Trying: what kind of connection........? cable-dsl etc

what are your buffer settings ? under the performance or network tab.....(can't remember where in version 7 off top of my head) check and see how many seconds you are buffering. If you double it or triple it, and it improves...it is probably your connection....make sure you reboot after changing the settings. ....if it doesn't help........it is Media player itself or your system. Now describe the system.....how much ram etc?
and how many programs are open when you try to run mPlayer

cj
12-14-2003, 10:30 PM
Out of the blue a few months ago, I started having Windows Media Player problems on my 98 machine. I was using Windows MP 9.0 fine for months, and then it just stopped one day. Nothing worked. I even went back to version 7 from 9, still no dice. I could not get anything that was live video to work. Its not a big deal as I have 5 networked computers in my house, and the others work fine. One has 2000, 2 have XP Home, and my laptop has XP Pro. It was definitely not a hardware or connection problem, I checked all that out thoroughly. Still baffled, I'd love to hear if anyone figures this out.

JustRalph
12-14-2003, 11:37 PM
I have seen these two links fix Media Player problems...just some info. The bottom link is one that works with Bris-Winticket etc. They push it on their website. FYI

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320280&Product=wmp

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307650&Product=wmp

trying2win
12-14-2003, 11:46 PM
JUST RALPH,

--I tried a lot of your suggestions...i.e. increasing buffer speed, shut down some unnecessary programs running. Most of it was to no avail. Only occasionally does the Windows Media Player work. I still get the same error message most of the time...i.e. "THE NETWORK CONNECTION HAS FAILED."

--I just checked my computer system...it reads that I have 56 MB of RAM. That may be laughable for today's requirements... Maybe you or someone else can enlighten me, if I should get more RAM added.

CJ,

--It was interesting that you mentioned you had been using Windows Media Player version 9.0 on your Windows 98 operation system for awhile. Everytime I've tried downloading WMP 9.0, I've gotten an error message that read I would require Windows XP (or whatever it said) in order to download v 9.0.

--Oh well, I'm getting by with the new ULTRA PLAYER for playing Windows Media Player audio and video files. This new media player has been a welcome addition, in order to watch the live videos from various racetracks again.

--I wonder if there's any PA members with success stories using WMP version 7.1? Would be interesting to read about them.

Thanks,

Trying2win