PDA

View Full Version : BRIS PP data files...help please

Delta Cone
01-18-2012, 06:33 PM
As a long-time user of only the standard PDF files from DRF and/or BRIS, I need some help.

What is the difference between the PP data files (single) and PP data files (multi)?

On its site, BRIS says "If you are unsure of which type of file to download, you should probably down the “DRF Data File (Single.)” Well, count me as one who is very unsure.

Is the "DRF data file" different than the "PP data file?"

I am contemplating using the BRIS free PP generator... apparently I can strip out some of the data I don't care about and thus clean up the BRIS PPs so that they aren't so "busy."

Or maybe I should just stick to the good, but expensive, DRF? My usual approach has been to download the DRF PPs, then get the BRIS and pencil in some info from them onto my DRF... this hybrid approach fits my handicapping well, but is very time consuming.

I don't mind spending the extra couple of bucks for the DRF, because I find that the Beyer figs help my handicapping... BRIS speed figures are pretty poor, IMO. But BRIS does provide some other info that I find useful.

Thanks for any help and/or advice you experts on the board can provide.

speed
01-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Cone use the single.

aratrace
01-18-2012, 08:42 PM
I've been using the BRIS files for 20 years and my recollection is "use the single" file format.

If you download their free PP Generator you can arrange, add, delete the fields you don't want.

On the drop down menu "files", select "edit" a file. You can experiment with spacing, position of the fields, etc. Just remember that the field numbers on the right side of the menu display the fields in the order your place them. They are spaced by 10.....you can change position of any field by editing the field number value....just renumber it with any number after the field you wish to position it, and before the next field....you can use single spacing.....ie) 1, 2, 3,

To activate or deactivate a field type (click in an empty box) you can change the screen of print spacing by changing the values in the Scr Sp or Prt Sp columns.

Remember to save it with a new name after getting it the way you want.

If you have your own program, you can write different values (your own) to any field that is dsplayed in the PP Generator.

Have fun.
Ed De'Ath

bob60566
01-18-2012, 08:59 PM
I've been using the BRIS files for 20 years and my recollection is "use the single" file format.

If you download their free PP Generator you can arrange, add, delete the fields you don't want.

On the drop down menu "files", select "edit" a file. You can experiment with spacing, position of the fields, etc. Just remember that the field numbers on the right side of the menu display the fields in the order your place them. They are spaced by 10.....you can change position of any field by editing the field number value....just renumber it with any number after the field you wish to position it, and before the next field....you can use single spacing.....ie) 1, 2, 3,

To activate or deactivate a field type (click in an empty box) you can change the screen of print spacing by changing the values in the Scr Sp or Prt Sp columns.

If you have your own program, you can write different values (your own) to any field that is dsplayed in the PP Generator.

Have fun.
Ed De'Ath

There you go and this is what i do

Mac:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :)

PhantomOnTour
01-18-2012, 11:15 PM

Have fun.
Ed De'Ath
Instead of FILE don't you mean STYLE ?
And EDIT STYLE?

I know of no EDIT FILE option in PP Gen, only EDIT STYLE.

aratrace
01-19-2012, 02:00 AM
PhantomOnTour

Thanks for doing my proof reading......you are absolutely correct.

Don't know how the heck I got Styles and Files mixed up......maybe just a long day on the threads.

Thanks,
Ed De'Ath

raybo
01-21-2012, 11:47 AM
As a long-time user of only the standard PDF files from DRF and/or BRIS, I need some help.

What is the difference between the PP data files (single) and PP data files (multi)?

The difference between "single" and "multi" is as it suggests, "single" is all the data in a "single" comma-delimited data file, "multi" is the same data organized into several separate "single" comma-delimited data files (6 files I believe).

So, with the "single" you only have to work with one file, with "multi" you must work with multiple files, for the same race card.

The "multi" file was introduced because many spreadsheet and database applications were limited to 256 or so fields/columns so the "single" file format could not be directly imported into those applications. So, they divided the "single", 1500+ field/column file, into 6 separate files of less than 256 fields/columns each, to ease the importation of the data.

Some of us used data parsing utilities to rearrange and limit the fields we wanted to import. Over the years, this method evolved to a point where some of us were able to import all 1500+ fields at one time, into our 256+- field applications. Today, some of us don't have to use the data parsing utilities anymore, but can import all 1500+ fields with the click of a single button.

Technology and some really savvy people have evolved the use of the "single" file dramatically. The "multi" file and data parsers, IMO, are old technology and will undoubtedly disappear, eventually.

ranchwest
01-21-2012, 12:04 PM
The difference between "single" and "multi" is as it suggests, "single" is all the data in a "single" comma-delimited data file, "multi" is the same data organized into several separate "single" comma-delimited data files (6 files I believe).

So, with the "single" you only have to work with one file, with "multi" you must work with multiple files, for the same race card.

The "multi" file was introduced because many spreadsheet and database applications were limited to 256 or so fields/columns so the "single" file format could not be directly imported into those applications. So, they divided the "single", 1500+ field/column file, into 6 separate files of less than 256 fields/columns each, to ease the importation of the data.

Some of us used data parsing utilities to rearrange and limit the fields we wanted to import. Over the years, this method evolved to a point where some of us were able to import all 1500+ fields at one time, into our 256+- field applications. Today, some of us don't have to use the data parsing utilities anymore, but can import all 1500+ fields with the click of a single button.

Technology and some really savvy people have evolved the use of the "single" file dramatically. The "multi" file and data parsers, IMO, are old technology and will undoubtedly disappear, eventually.

You make some good points, but I'd like to expand on the multi files.

While I'm sure you know this, you didn't address that the multi file data isn't just split randomly to arrive at smaller files. It is organized into categories of data.

So, the multi files are not old technology. They are actually more advanced technology if you have a tool that can properly utilize the multiple files.

raybo
01-21-2012, 12:40 PM
You make some good points, but I'd like to expand on the multi files.

While I'm sure you know this, you didn't address that the multi file data isn't just split randomly to arrive at smaller files. It is organized into categories of data.

So, the multi files are not old technology. They are actually more advanced technology if you have a tool that can properly utilize the multiple files.

Point taken, I did not mention the categorization of the data in the "multi" files, which of course, is the case. However, the use of data parsers, allows the same categorizations from the "single" files, and you only have to work with a single file. If you have ever looked at my original "AllData.brs" parser control file, you will see that that is exactly what was done, making the referencing of the individual data fields much easier, so basically you end up with 6 categories of data, similar to the "multi" file format. Of course using a parser control file allows you to "categorize" that data in any manner you wish, and you are able to import that categorized data the same way each time you import a data file. If you want to rearrange the data later, just edit the control file.

I know that there are "multi" users, like you, who use the multis very well. But, a new user would have to have the tools you speak of, in order to use them without doing 6 importations for a single race card.

Delta Cone
01-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Thanks Raybo (and others) for your help and clarification.

ranchwest
01-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Point taken, I did not mention the categorization of the data in the "multi" files, which of course, is the case. However, the use of data parsers, allows the same categorizations from the "single" files, and you only have to work with a single file. If you have ever looked at my original "AllData.brs" parser control file, you will see that that is exactly what was done, making the referencing of the individual data fields much easier, so basically you end up with 6 categories of data, similar to the "multi" file format. Of course using a parser control file allows you to "categorize" that data in any manner you wish, and you are able to import that categorized data the same way each time you import a data file. If you want to rearrange the data later, just edit the control file.

I know that there are "multi" users, like you, who use the multis very well. But, a new user would have to have the tools you speak of, in order to use them without doing 6 importations for a single race card.

Depends. Once you have the single file mapping done, it doesn't make much difference. The multi files are sort of pre-mapped.

BIG49010
01-21-2012, 11:01 PM
They split into 4 files, us old timers remember the days when you only had 255 fields to work with in Excel. The first 3 were the original split, the 4th was added quite a few years later.

All in all it beat the hell out of entering the data by hand, which I did in the stone age.

Tom
01-22-2012, 12:04 AM
They split into 4 files, us old timers remember the days when you only had 255 fields to work with in Excel. The first 3 were the original split, the 4th was added quite a few years later.

Yes, those days were last Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...... :bang: :D

raybo
01-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Yes, those days were last Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...... :bang: :D

Yeah, and Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Oh yeah, today too! :bang:

raybo
01-22-2012, 08:02 AM
I just noticed that, according to the file formats on the Bris site, the multis don't have Prime Power, I wonder which other data they don't contain that the single does.

Here are the links to both file formats:

Multi File (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=drfmff)

Single File (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=drfsff)

jk3521
01-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Most of my handicapping software uses single file format.

BIG49010
01-22-2012, 08:50 AM
I just noticed that, according to the file formats on the Bris site, the multis don't have Prime Power, I wonder which other data they don't contain that the single does.

I still use them and they have Prime Power, I believe the field is in the 4th file.

raybo
01-22-2012, 11:22 AM
I still use them and they have Prime Power, I believe the field is in the 4th file.

Ok, I found it, it's field 5 in file 4. The file format updates schedule, on the Bris site, obviously hasn't been updated to include it, Prime Power was added to the single file in 2001, according to the file format updates schedule for that file.

The MultiCaps file format still doesn't list Prime Power in the updates schedule, even though it's listed in the file format itself, and it's been in that file for at least as long as it's been in the PPs Single file.