PDA

View Full Version : Zilladog - parental supervised email

DJofSD
01-18-2012, 02:47 PM
My son is asking for his own email account. And, he actually needs to have one for some club and associations related to junior golf.

While Gmail can be used, there is not any way to prevent the password from being changed and locking out a parent from being able to monitor/supervise the email.

I found Zilladog. From a quick look at the information on their site and reading some 3rd party reviews, it appears to be just the kind of service I am looking for.

Any one have any real world experience with Zilladog or any other email facility that allows parents to monitor activity?

wilderness
01-19-2012, 09:45 AM
DJ,
I don't have any personal experience with monitoring my grown sons
emails ;)

A simple and viable solution is to just configure your computer for multiple users.
As the administrator of the computer, you'd have access to all users data.
I showed this to my niece at one point when the family had a single computer, and the kids loved it that they were allowed to create their own personal look for their desktop, and without effecting moms look.

There are multiple "content filters" that are intended for youngsters, even specific age groups.
These content filters allow you eliminate the possibility of specific websites, however even most decent web browsers offer the same site restrictions for adding.

DJofSD
01-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Don, thanks for the feedback.

What I did not metion that makes it a bit more complicated is a divorce. So, my son lives in two households. The only way I could envision setting up an email account for him which could be used in both households is a web based service.

Otherwise, yes, I could have set up a new user on one of my PCs and installed a keyboard logger along with making sure I could monitor the email he receives.

wilderness
01-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Don, thanks for the feedback.

What I did not metion that makes it a bit more complicated is a divorce. So, my son lives in two households. The only way I could envision setting up an email account for him which could be used in both households is a web based service.

DJ,
Website hosting is really cheap these days. Reliable "shared hosting (http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=shared+hosting&btnK=Google+Search)" with nearly unlimited data (many even allowing multiple domains) in the $4-8 monthly range (when paid for by a one-year minimum).
Many hosts even give a free domain name registration.

There's is wide variety of sellers and prices, however once you become aware of what your looking for, than most hosts even provide email accounts as part of the hosting service. (This would allow the big-brother your looking for).

Just make sure you look at the bandwidth limits and the email options, which is your current focus. Pay close attention to they "User Agreement" as well.

The shared hosting control panel email accounts may either be accessed via the web or using an email software.
In any event as a the administrator/owner, you'll have access to the data.