PDA

View Full Version : Zappos Hacked

Tom
01-16-2012, 10:29 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/248244/zappos_hacked_what_you_need_to_know.html

In a letter to Zappos customers, CEO Tony Hsieh explains that the site was hacked, and that information including names, email addresses, billing and shipping addresses, phone numbers, the last four digits of credit card numbers, and encrypted passwords may have been exposed.

Grits
01-16-2012, 11:29 PM
I got an email from Zappos earlier tonight. I've not ever ordered from them via online--so therefore I don't have an online account. I always order by phone, so I don't have a password that I can change at this point. I don't like ordering online, if there's an 800 number available instead, I use it. My only exception is Amazon.

I hope I'm safe since it was their online accounts that were hacked, though, I'm not sure as they do have my account information--which I hope was in a different area as opposed to online accounts.

I'm waiting to hear back after my forwarding an email to them indicating, "I have no password that I can change." ;-)

DJofSD
01-17-2012, 08:06 AM
Grits, even though you do not have an account to do online ordering, nonetheless, there is information in a computer data base about you and your credit card.

Play it safe and do whatever actions they recommend. Granted, without an account you can not change a password. But, if they offer something like a years worth of free credit checking, sign up for it.

And do not open an online account now thinking they've fixed the problem. Whatever the cause of the problem that allowed security to be breached, it will take a while to completely correct the oversight. It might be a week, a month or a year. In general, they never give enough details as to what was wrong and they certainly won't be advertising things are all better now, it is safe.

Grits
01-17-2012, 09:28 AM
When I hear from them in answer to my email, Dj, of course, I'll take whatever means are necessary. But you can be sure, for now, I won't be ordering, even by phone, any more shoes from Zappos. Though, I have to say, it is convenient, when no one ever has a size 5 1/2 in their stores. (This was the reason I began to call and order years ago. No one ever has my size.)

Grits, even though you do not have an account to do online ordering, nonetheless, there is information in a computer data base about you and your credit card.

Play it safe and do whatever actions they recommend. Granted, without an account you can not change a password. But, if they offer something like a years worth of free credit checking, sign up for it.

And do not open an online account now thinking they've fixed the problem. Whatever the cause of the problem that allowed security to be breached, it will take a while to completely correct the oversight. It might be a week, a month or a year. In general, they never give enough details as to what was wrong and they certainly won't be advertising things are all better now, it is safe.

cj
01-17-2012, 02:14 PM
When I hear from them in answer to my email, Dj, of course, I'll take whatever means are necessary. But you can be sure, for now, I won't be ordering, even by phone, any more shoes from Zappos. Though, I have to say, it is convenient, when no one ever has a size 5 1/2 in their stores. (This was the reason I began to call and order years ago. No one ever has my size.)

Don't you love when you ask for your size, and they offer something different?

My favorite is needing a 12, and they tell me we have a 10 1/2 and a 13. I always tell them I'll go cut my toes off and be right back.

bigmack
01-17-2012, 06:52 PM
no one ever has a size 5 1/2 in their stores.
5 1/2? How tall are you, 4'2"?

1NvgLkuEtkA

DJofSD
01-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Come on mac, be nice. Pick her up and say 'hello!'

But do it quickly, otherwise, you might get kicked in the cajonies.

Grits
01-17-2012, 09:44 PM
No, Mack. I'm 5' 5". And I ain't in the mood for cute. DJ's right, you don't wanna play tonight, bud. Its a bad time.

I love Randy Newman, though, go listen to Harps and Angels and Louisiana, 1927. Come back and tell if you like 'em.

I got another email from Zappos tonight telling me to change my password. DAMN. I told them to go back and read the message I answered their previous email with, and not to send me another cover email that they've sent to the thousands of customers who DO order via their site instead of by phone. I DO NOT have a password to change.

This morning I changed Amazon and TwinSpires' passwords right away. Some others followed, then I had errands to run, and dinner. I'll change this one, shortly.

Guys, COMPUTERS ARE REALLY STARTING TO SUCK. They will completely suck the life out of you. I'm finding they are not a great deal more than a vehicle for liars, braggarts, thieves, hucksters, hackers, and those like myself, right now, who have an attitude problem.

Also tonight, I'm putting HitManPro on my laptop and my desktop. My computer guy ain't handing me anymore BS about only needing AVG. He kept my computer for 4 days, and said there was not a thing wrong with it. "Maybe I was hitting the control and shift keys, highlighting without realizing it". Sonofabitch. Don't hand me this crap! Funny to me, the thing's working fine now, cursor isn't hanging, nothing's highlighting out of nowhere. All is fine with it.

Be nice tonight, guys. Its just one of those nights. Being a lady hasn't gotten it today, not at all. So, let's have a Crown & water, or a Tia Maria.

Have a good night, gentlemen.

Red Knave
01-17-2012, 11:44 PM
5 1/2? How tall are you, 4'2"?

When I was growing up (and I'm way older than Grits) we called it petite.

Grits
01-18-2012, 08:31 AM
When I was growing up (and I'm way older than Grits) we called it petite.

RK, after my ugly rant above, you're so kind. No matter what age, your blue eyes and your gentle manner is still the finest. Its a joy to see you at Saratoga.;)

lamboguy
01-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Don't you love when you ask for your size, and they offer something different?

My favorite is needing a 12, and they tell me we have a 10 1/2 and a 13. I always tell them I'll go cut my toes off and be right back.that one's pretty funny this morning!

Grits
01-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Zappos, this morning, has now accepted a password from me--one that is more complicated with upper case, lower case, numbers, odd signs thrown in from my keyboard. I've had to write the thing down, still, I've never ordered their shoes except by phone. But, all the data base is probably combined--online and phone. Its easier to keep up with annual sales this way! And Lord have mercy, they're the largest shoe and accessory retailer in the world. Wish I owned them!!!

They only thing that can surpass Zappos in HUGE is Amazon. If they get hacked, I'm giving it all up. I'll throw these things, ie, both computers, my tablet and my phone, the length of my backyard, and then take a hammer to them.

I have a terrible fear, and always have had, of identity theft, etc. If someone can get my personal accounts, I figure they can, therefore, get into my business accounts. And those are my livelihood--I ain't liking internet security, guys. Its making me terribly upset, I come completely undone.

Cash is king. I'm going to start burying it. ;)

I apologize to all of you gentlemen for my ugliness.:(

Grits
01-18-2012, 08:48 AM
that one's pretty funny this morning!

It was a good one--if he had to buy shoes by "leather required", he'd be in the poor house.

DJofSD
01-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Good job creating a password with more than 4, 5, or 6 characters and with all of the upper and lower case letters along with the national characters. This is typically referred to as a strong password.

DJofSD
01-18-2012, 08:58 AM
... go here (http://www.shopnewbalance.com/custom/style/US574W1?&CZ01B010101&CZ02B020301&CZ03B030201&CZ04B040201&CZ05B050201&CZ06B060201&CZ07B070501&CZ08B080201&CZ09B090201&CZ10B100409&CZ11B110601&CZ12B120710&CZ13L130809&CZ14R130809&CZ15B140809) (New Balance online store). This should be the womens custom US574 page which will basically allow you to create your very own shoe with different colors. Just follow the steps starting with 1. and 2. along the right side.

Enjoy!

Robert Goren
01-18-2012, 09:11 AM
I hate break it to you, unless you pay cash, the store will have your name and credit card info even if you buy it in a store. Maybe some mom and pops don't keep that info, but any store of any size does. Use a credit card or debt card or write a check once and you are in their system. It is the age we live in.

Grits
01-18-2012, 08:07 PM
I hate break it to you, unless you pay cash, the store will have your name and credit card info even if you buy it in a store. Maybe some mom and pops don't keep that info, but any store of any size does. Use a credit card or debt card or write a check once and you are in their system. It is the age we live in.

I'm well aware of this, RG. But I'll give you a little tidbit on my shopping experiences of late. Polite but unmoved.

Don't keep asking me, as a major department store did during Christmas for my telephone number, when I'm paying with CASH. I'll surprise you on the second purchase, if not the first.

Clerk: We need your telephone # beginning with your area code.

Grits: Miss, I'm paying with cash. I'm not writing you a check. I'm not giving you a debit card. I'm not giving you a credit card. For what reason do you need my home telephone number?

Clerk: Its for our system. Our management requires us to include customer's telephone numbers for all transactions.

Grits: Miss, I'm sure I'm in your system. You're the second clerk in the store to tell me this in the last hour.

Clerk: I'm sorry, but I'll still have to have your telephone number.

Grits: Keep it.

Clerk: Excuse me? Its store policy.

Grits: "Miss, I said--keep it--I will not give you my telephone # for a cash purchase. Its unnecessary; its an invasion of my privacy. You all need to rethink your policy." I walked out of the department store.

The day paying cash requires my telephone number is the day I no longer shop at that particular store. I'm tired of this "GOT TO HAVE ALL INFO" mindset and I'm not tolerating it anymore. It was Christmas, the store lost a $355 sale while I left the clerk with her mouth hanging open. Sure, it wasn't her fault, it was her management's fault. ..... I hate it for 'em.

By the way, I'll tell you another tidbit. Hotel chains keep your credit card on file, along with all info on you, as well.

Red Knave
01-18-2012, 11:27 PM
RK, after my ugly rant above, you're so kind. No matter what age, your blue eyes and your gentle manner is still the finest. Its a joy to see you at Saratoga.;)

Is it warm in here or is it just me?

:)

Grits (and PA), I realize this is thread drift but I couldn't resist

Grits
01-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Honey, there's nothing wrong with a little drift, just so it ain't off the coast of Italy. :lol:

cj
01-20-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm well aware of this, RG. But I'll give you a little tidbit on my shopping experiences of late. Polite but unmoved.

Don't keep asking me, as a major department store did during Christmas for my telephone number, when I'm paying with CASH. I'll surprise you on the second purchase, if not the first.

Grits: Miss, I'm paying with cash. I'm not writing you a check. I'm not giving you a debit card. I'm not giving you a credit card. For what reason do you need my home telephone number?

Clerk: Its for our system. Our management requires us to include customer's telephone numbers for all transactions.

Grits: Miss, I'm sure I'm in your system. You're the second clerk in the store to tell me this in the last hour.

Grits: "Miss, I said--keep it--I will not give you my telephone # for a cash purchase. Its unnecessary; its an invasion of my privacy. You all need to rethink your policy." I walked out of the department store.

The day paying cash requires my telephone number is the day I no longer shop at that particular store. I'm tired of this "GOT TO HAVE ALL INFO" mindset and I'm not tolerating it anymore. It was Christmas, the store lost a $355 sale while I left the clerk with her mouth hanging open. Sure, it wasn't her fault, it was her management's fault. ..... I hate it for 'em.

By the way, I'll tell you another tidbit. Hotel chains keep your credit card on file, along with all info on you, as well.

I like it. I just give them a fake one, from when I lived here a decade ago the first time. Your idea is better.

DJofSD
01-20-2012, 03:31 PM
You could have tried the Jedi mind control trick: a wave of the hand while uttering 'you don't need my personal information.'

johnhannibalsmith
01-20-2012, 04:15 PM

Halelujah, Amen, Etc...

I do the same thing. Even at grocery stores that want my "club card" or now even hardware stores or anyplace. I tell them to buzz off, I don't own a phone and don't want any cards.

I had to make a deposit at a bank for some older folks I help out. I walked up and told the teller/clerk/cashier exactly that. She swung some device at me and told me to "go ahead and swipe your card."

What? What card?

I'm making a deposit for someone else. I don't have a card, don't want one, and sure as hell don't need one to make a deposit. She got sideways until she saw the amount of the deposit and the fact that the customer in question had been with the bank since the 1950's.

What is it with people and businesses today? Does everyone but you, me, and cj think it is just fine to run around and give out information to complete strangers about ourselves for no reason at all simply because they asked?

Anyway, I'm thrilled to read your rant. I'm almost to the point where I have some sort of psychosis about this and barely want to leave the house as I seem to wind up in some giant brouhaha because it just isn't enough anymore to go somewhere and buy something without getting harassed every step of the way by flaming maniacs that think it is good business to overcomplicate every basic transaction.

I have no cards for you, no phone number for you, and no time for your irrelevant questions. I got cash and a minimal desire to own this crap on your counter. If that isn't good enough for you, I don't need your crap.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Grits
01-20-2012, 08:48 PM
See, JohnHannibal, one's never, ever alone in their neurosis.:lol:

Bet I was more polite than you though! LOLOLOL

Cj, I kid you not. To lie to her--it never crossed my mind. I swear it didn't. Man, am I dense.

Y'all know that saying we have 'round here, "you can't make this $h** up."

From now on, store clerks beware. I'm gonna lie like a dog, or just cold as ice, tell 'em again, "keep it."

Red Knave
01-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Radio Shack used to ask your name etc. at the register, maybe they still do. I always told them my name was Cash Sale and my address was 123 Main St., whatever town I was in at the time. They usually just smiled but once in a while you would get a look and another question like "Cash wuuut?".
As for a phone number I usually said 1-800 PAY-CASH.

If ever anyone doubted me I'd say "Are you questioning my veracity?" and that usually ended it. Once in a while, though, you'd have to go into a rant like "If you insinuate that I shall tolerate such insolence from such a mere pimple if insignificance then you are suffering from a colossal misapprehension and furthermore may receive a tremendous buffet upon the sensory portion of your nasal organ." That always worked. I got that from a classmate in the10th grade and have always remembered it. We were talking about one of our teachers. :)

And, you have to remember that it's computers that are dumb, not necessarily the people that operate them.

Grits
01-21-2012, 12:49 AM
"cash wuuut?":lol:

I've never seen what spelled in such fine fashion. I'm laughing so hard. LOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLL

Then, too, I've been laughing for about an hour looking at past PA gatherings at Saratoga going back as far as 2003. Some of the photos are absolutely hilarious.

DRIFT, ......... again.:faint:

raybo
01-21-2012, 10:10 AM

This is certainly aggravating! I just tell them "I don't have a phone". It works every time, they shut their mouth, and maybe form a little smirk with their mouth, but they take my cash and give me a receipt and I'm out the door.

BTW, if they ask for your address: "I'm homeless" usually works quite well.

Tom
01-21-2012, 05:15 PM
I look it up before I go in...and give them their store's phone number.
Most never get it.

Or, give them this one..... :D
axLRUszuu9I

highnote
01-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Personal information is valuable.

If someone wants my info they are going to have to pay me for it -- otherwise they are not getting my "real" info.

I was surprised how much personal info Apple wanted from me when I wanted to download a free app for my iPad. It really wasn't free. Free means free -- free doesn't mean "we need something from you before we give you something".

I think it is time to create a new email address for when I need "free" apps or when I register for "free" newsletters and blogs, etc. Then I would never check that email address.

It's getting to the point where I need to create a ficticious identity in order to protect my true identity. :faint:

Grits
01-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Tom, I remember this one. Had no idea who recorded it, but do remember it.

NEVER, EVER like giving my phone number to anyone, unless I know them well. Don't care who is asking. And I'm amazed at the women, on FaceBook, particularly women, who will mindlessly give out their cellphone numbers, their email addresses, you name it. AMAZED that people can be this dumb.

I can see it now. It would be my luck. Pull into one of the travel centers on the way to NYC or to Saratoga. Jersey Turnpike or the Thruway, doesn't matter which.

FOR A GOOD TIME, :lol: or worse :lol: CALL GRITS AT 555-123-1234.

I can feel the humiliation, right now! Me on the wall of a men's room, my name right beside SNOOKIE'S?

Lord, have mercy, I'd die a natural death. :lol:

Tom
01-23-2012, 10:06 AM
I will think of you next time I am in a Thruway stall! :eek::lol:

Toga....it's more than horse racing!