PDA

View Full Version : Scam Email

Dave Schwartz
01-14-2012, 03:35 PM
I am interested in specifically how this scam works, as it surely is a scam.

My sister-in-law put a couch up for sale on Craig's List for $250. In response she received the following:

Hello,
Payment for your couch (Money Orders) has been sent to you. As soon as you receive the package in your mail, pls follow processing instructions carefully so we can set up a pick up date asap and wrap up the sale. The package contains a total payment of $1,867 (2 pieces of $933.5 M/O).

===HOW TO FILL THE MONEY ORDERS===
The Money Orders has 2 sections
The 1st section {writes pay to}.....in this space you are to fill in your full names and address.
The 2nd section {writes from}.....in this space you are to fill in my name and address:

Name: {{{Purchaser's name was here}}}
Addy: {{{Purchaser's address was here}}}

Once you receive the package in your mail, you take them to your bank and cash or make a next day deposit. You then deduct the exact amount for your couch, plus $50 inconvenience fee for holding the couch, you then go to the closest Money Gram outlet and send the remaining funds to the Truck Driver via Money Gram wire transfer. The driver would be coming to your location or any public place for the pick up of the couch after receiving the funds.

In summary, you deduct the amount for your couch + $50 + Money Gram wire transfer charges and send the rest to the Driver. Here are the details of the Truck Driver who you will be sending the funds to:

Name: {{{Truck Driver's Name}}}
Addy:
City:
State:
Zip:

I am assuming that the money orders are bogus or will be deemed lost or stolen later.

Dave

JustRalph
01-14-2012, 04:58 PM
I am assuming that the money orders are bogus or will be deemed lost or stolen later.

Dave

Ding ding! Do a google search for "craigslist money order scam" Lots of people still get taken in

HUSKER55
01-14-2012, 10:51 PM
I am haveing one of those days. How do you get a bad money order when they have to be paid for up front.

wisconsin
01-14-2012, 11:07 PM
I am haveing one of those days. How do you get a bad money order when they have to be paid for up front.

counterfeit

TJDave
01-15-2012, 01:22 AM
The banks are being lazy and greedy. It's not difficult to determine if a money order or cashier's check is counterfeit. They'd rather hold you accountable and collect the added fees.

Bastards. :mad:

delayjf
01-15-2012, 02:01 AM
I believe you can also stop payment on a money order.

Robert Goren
01-15-2012, 06:22 AM
Why would anyone not think this is a scam from the git go?

Dave Schwartz
01-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Robert,

I love my SIL but she's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

She's still trying to figure out a way to score the $1,800. LOL

Dave

fast4522
01-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Three keys fit all.

Tom
01-15-2012, 10:16 AM
The eMob.....:lol:

HUSKER55
01-15-2012, 02:18 PM
:lol: