PDA

View Full Version : Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Robert Goren
01-13-2012, 05:55 AM
I rarely go to movies anymore, but this one has peaked my interest. I saw the PBS mini series years ago. Is it worth going to or should I wait for it to come out on DVD in a few months? For the record I think the " The spy who came in from the cold" is one of best movies of all time. So anything based on a le Carre' book interest me.

Sinner369
01-13-2012, 06:29 AM
Just saw the movie on DVD........it's about the cold war from the 70's.

Personally, I found it confusing......about a mole in the British secret service.

I would have to see it twice or three times to get the point.

redshift1
01-13-2012, 03:10 PM
I rarely go to movies anymore, but this one has peaked my interest. I saw the PBS mini series years ago. Is it worth going to or should I wait for it to come out on DVD in a few months? For the record I think the " The spy who came in from the cold" is one of best movies of all time. So anything based on a le Carre' book interest me.

One of my favorite spy books of all time. Trying to condense a book with so much complexity and detail into a 2 hour movie makes for a somewhat abbreviated translation if you can live with that, the acting is superb and what's there, is faithful to the book.

I would not recommend seeing TTSS without reading the book as the director relies heavily on flashbacks that are almost imperceptible, making for a sometimes confusing continuity. You really need a primer for this movie.

Also the use of a subdued "La Mer" by Julio Iglesias was perfect for the ending.

Also2 my favorite movie of 2011.

bigmack
01-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Just saw the movie on DVD........it's about the cold war from the 70's.
You saw it on DVD :confused: It just came out in the theater.

I'm wild about Gary O, so I had high expectations. Great performances, too confusing to walk away satisfied.

Don't be surprised if you ever see me recreate the "Everyone" scene in public.

74BzSTQCl_c

Rookies
01-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Saw it with my daughter 3 nights ago. Was the real life link, the life of Sir Roger Hollis ? Interesting to see the old time spy gear with those old tape reels, letter drops, quiet rooms, etc. Waaaaay before the digi HD gear and explosive devices/ deadly bacterium of today. Hints of Profumo & Keeler, which was a sensation when I was growing up.

A window into a seamy biz on both sides, where any trick/ faint was used to get an advantage.

Good performances by the stiff upper lip typecast of Brits & ugly, prole Russkies.

I'd see it, Robert.:ThmbUp:

chickenhead
01-13-2012, 08:59 PM
I love Gary Oldman and that movie in particular, Macky. However. HOWEVER.

Me: "Oh look, the new Gary Oldman."
Me: "Dwarves? Dwarves are awesome."
Me: "Wait a minute....Dwarves AND Kate Beckinsale. Are u kidding me! GREATEST MOVIE EVER territory?"

2 hours later

Me: "I feel dirty. I feel violated. What I've seen and felt cannot be undone, and I am not OK about it. NOT OK."

He is not to be trusted.

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/2122/tiptoes.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/830/tiptoes.jpg/)

bigmack
01-13-2012, 09:18 PM
He is not to be trusted.

:lol:

Still bent over TippyToes, huh?

Dig this CLAssic line from a review of said film:

The plight of ‘little people’ - dwarves for those who need a more technical term - used to be an unspoken predicament in supposedly polite society. Few ventured to guess about the turmoil and troubles of those hampered by diminutive size and their surrounding medical/psychological issues. Instead, they chalked their life up to a ‘sad until the circus comes to town’ mentality and propped them up as punchlines in their own private prejudice. As with any other disability, dwarfism is easily misunderstood and frequently mocked - and it hasn’t helped that cable channels like TLC have used the biological anomaly as the means of exploiting the ratings ripe visual of seeing a tiny chocolatier covered in his own product (it’s even ickier than it sounds). Into this battle between virtuous intention and Verne Troyer comes Tiptoes. Clearly crafted as a wake-up call to all the nasty “normals” out there, it substitutes schmaltz for sincerity to create a heated hate crime all its own. :D

redshift1
01-13-2012, 10:20 PM
1979 Version 5-6 hours long not available in Blu Ray.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DXCO94/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000092WCG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=145BG7CK4G5K1D9S0HKY

NJ Stinks
01-14-2012, 02:31 AM
I would not recommend seeing TTSS without reading the book as the director relies heavily on flashbacks that are almost imperceptible, making for a sometimes confusing continuity. You really need a primer for this movie.

That's great advice, Redshift. Saw it last week and I'm with Sinner.

....Personally, I found it confusing......about a mole in the British secret service.

I would have to see it twice or three times to get the point.

BlueShoe
01-14-2012, 01:13 PM
I rarely go to movies anymore, but this one has peaked my interest.
My sentiments also, but for a different film, "The Iron Lady", a biopic about British PM Margaret Thatcher. Intend to wait a few weeks until the crowds go down, and want to see a few reviews from conservatives. Meryl Streep, the star, is reputed to be a typical Hollywood leftist, and as usual, the director, producer, and writers are said to be liberals. If the film is slanted with the expected bias toward conservatives and paints Thatcher in an unfair light, will skip it. Streep has gotten early rave reviews and is regarded as a cinch Oscar nominee next year, but will take a more cautious view about the film for now, but if it is fair, will tilt and make one of my rare recent trips to the theater.