PDA

View Full Version : Drug Positives

Observer
12-13-2003, 11:41 PM
Why is it that when a trainer has a horse test positive .. most people are always so quick to judge that the trainer is a cheat .. that it couldn't possibly have happened by way of some type of mistake???

And why is it that no one ever stops to think that it's the veterinarians who are working on these horses .. could there ever possibly be a time when maybe a vet turns into a cheat and intentionally gives the wrong thing, or gives the wrong dose, or treats the "wrong" horse?? Afterall .. other than the vets, who's gonna know for sure what's being administered or how much has been administered?? Hopefully the barn help would know which horses are the ones who are supposed to be treated .. but sometimes even that I could understand where mistakes happen .. not that that's okay .. just that I could understand how it could possibly happen.

Or why couldn't it ever possibly happen that a vet makes an honest mistake????? Do people really not believe anymore in such things as honest mistakes???

Figman
12-13-2003, 11:55 PM
Whether the trainer is the cheat or it's an honest mistake this is why the trainer pays for the medication positive at least in NY:

4043.4. Trainer's responsibility.

A trainer shall be responsible at all times for the condition of all horses trained by him. No trainer shall start or permit a horse in his custody, care or control to be started if he knows, or he might have known or have cause to believe, that the horse has received any drug or other restricted substance that could result in a positive test. The trainer shall be held responsible for any positive test unless he can show by substantial evidence that neither he nor any employee nor agent was responsible for the administration of the drug or other restricted substance. Every trainer must guard each horse trained by him in such manner and for such period of time prior to racing the horse so as to prevent any person, whether or not employed by or connected with the owner or trainer, from administering any drug or other restricted substance to such horse contrary to this Part.

Observer
12-14-2003, 12:00 AM
I'm not questioning the Trainer Responsibility rule.

I'm questioning people's perceptions.

I am fully aware of the rule .. and understand it .. and don't really argue with it .. eventhough I tend to find it an unfortunate necessity.

BillW
12-14-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Observer
I'm not questioning the Trainer Responsibility rule.

I'm questioning people's perceptions.

I am fully aware of the rule .. and understand it .. and don't really argue with it .. eventhough I tend to find it an unfortunate necessity.

Observer,

We are trained that way. Probably because the media always leans toward conspiracy to make a good story. The result is a population that expects major wrong doing everytime something happens.

Bill