PDA

View Full Version : Common Sense, Timely Decision Making & a Culture of Excellence

andymays
01-11-2012, 10:00 AM
http://pullthepocket.blogspot.com/2012/01/common-sense-timely-decision-making-not.html

Excerpt:

In racing last month a horse raced as a first time gelding, and won, paying $56. That's fair enough, these things happen, as gelding a horse can change his attitude and make him race better.

But no one told anyone. The trainer didn't tell the program sellers, the track, the commission, the fans - no one in power to report it properly.

It supposedly has happened 50 some odd times since 2007. There's been a few meetings now about this in California and it appears to be quite a difficult question to answer.

How hard is this? How could it happen 50 or more times before someone makes a common sense decision that a horse can't run that day? How has this practice gone on for so long?

We have almost no culture of excellence in racing, because we tend to not care what the end user (the fans) go through. The trainers train, and reporting something like this seems cumbersome, or not needed. The commissions are herding cats, and appear not to think it much of an issue, too.

It's the culture of racing that's the problem, and it always has been.

Tom
01-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Anyone that tells you this is difficult to control is a liars or an incompetent.
There is ZERO excuse for this other that to screw the betting public.

Racing needs to - seriously - hire some people who know more about racing than how to get shit off your boots,which is the competence level they are at right now.......most of them, but still not all! :rolleyes:

Tracks are run by people who are mostly worthless.
All tracks.

DJofSD
01-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Basically, what Tom said.

How stupid are the current crop of officals? Do they even know where to look to find out if they're looking at a whole horse or a gelding?

andymays
01-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Believe it or not California is the most proactive when it comes to first time geldings. The fine right now is $1000. In 2010 they have 43 or 48 unreported/late first time geldings and in 2011 that number went down to 18 because of the fine. I am for scratching if the first time gelding isn't announced at least 30 minutes prior to the first race of the day.

Maybe someone who plays in another jurisdiction can find out how they handle the ultimate equipment change.

Tom
01-11-2012, 11:18 AM
If a trainer fails to report his horse was gelded, they should geld HIM! :eek:
That might fix it! :D

FenceBored
01-11-2012, 12:13 PM
If a trainer fails to report his horse was gelded, they should geld HIM! :eek:
That might fix it! :D

Yeah, but after that first time the policy has no hold on the trainer, he's got nothing to lose.

andymays
01-11-2012, 12:17 PM
it looks like what they're going to do out here is continue the fine and keep the same rule for a few months. The Trainers believe that they can get the number way down this year with some help from the Vets and a little more work on their part.

I'm still for scratching.

LottaKash
01-11-2012, 12:20 PM
it looks like what they're going to do out here is continue the fine and keep the same rule for a few months. The Trainers believe that they can get the number way down this year with some help from the Vets and a little more work on their part.

I always thought the Vets should be the ones to do the reporting when Gelding a Racehorse....

best,

jelly
01-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Scratching the horse seems fair to the Bettor.

andymays
01-11-2012, 12:23 PM
I always thought the Vets should be the ones to do the reporting when Gelding a Racehorse....

best,

I agree with you. The Vet that does the gelding should be responsible for reporting it and so should the Trainers.

LottaKash
01-11-2012, 12:28 PM
I agree with you. The Vet that does the gelding should be responsible for reporting it and so should the Trainers.

Andy, perhaps they do, and it gets wayleighed along the way...I wouldn't know, tho....Then it would be the tracks fault, unless of course, it was done on the QT out of the jurisidiction of the track where the 1st-time Gelding would race next out...

best,

Tom
01-11-2012, 12:29 PM

So, in the paddock, the judge lifts the horse's lip to see the tattoo, then lifts its rear leg to see...........

andymays
01-11-2012, 12:54 PM
So, in the paddock, the judge lifts the horse's lip to see the tattoo, then lifts its rear leg to see...........

They are all given a pre race inspection but the Vet doesn't know if it's a first time gelding he only knows that it's a gelding. The problem occurs when a first time gelding is shipped in from another state and it also occurs when the gelding is done on the farm. Sometimes the Racing Office screws up as well.

The scratch is the best way to go in my opinion.

andymays
01-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Andy, perhaps they do, and it gets wayleighed along the way...I wouldn't know, tho....Then it would be the tracks fault, unless of course, it was done on the QT out of the jurisidiction of the track where the 1st-time Gelding would race next out...

best,

You're right that does happen. In California, of the last 18 violations there were no repeat violations. 18 different Trainers were fined according to the information I heard.

Linny
01-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Yeah, but after that first time the policy has no hold on the trainer, he's got nothing to lose.

But plenty to gain...

LottaKash
01-11-2012, 02:22 PM
You're right that does happen. In California, of the last 18 violations there were no repeat violations. 18 different Trainers were fined according to the information I heard.

I can readily understand why....:D

best,

Tom
01-11-2012, 02:59 PM
I've heard of second time lasix, but second time gelding???? Ouch!
This isn't going to be like blinkers is it? On, off........

FenceBored
01-11-2012, 03:07 PM
I've heard of second time lasix, but second time gelding???? Ouch!
This isn't going to be like blinkers is it? On, off........

I think there might be a few trainers who would be happy if you could detach them and reattach them later if the animal was good enough to warrant a stud career.

tbwinner
01-11-2012, 08:12 PM
They are all given a pre race inspection but the Vet doesn't know if it's a first time gelding he only knows that it's a gelding. The problem occurs when a first time gelding is shipped in from another state and it also occurs when the gelding is done on the farm. Sometimes the Racing Office screws up as well.

BUT...wouldn't the program or starter list show the horse as a "colt" knowing if it looks to be a gelding its a first time gelding?