PDA

View Full Version : Important update on the Palm Meadows clocking restrictions

andymays
01-10-2012, 04:01 PM
I got this by email so here it is.

FULL ACCESS TO THE PALM MEADOWS TRAINING FACILITY HAS BEEN GRANTED--EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY

As a result of the previous satirical prediction column, circulated here and elsewhere (in which I took a shot at Gulfstream for their restrictive access to the Palm Meadows Training Facility) and a subsequent column on www.GradeOneRacing.com, plus dozens of comments by horseplayers throughout the country, clear thinking has prevailed at Gulfstream Park.

On Tuesday, Jan 10, General Manager, Tim Ritvo and owner Frank Stronach voluntarily said they support an open door policy and free access by credentialed media to view and report on workouts at one of the most popular training facilities in America. THE PALM MEADOWS TRAINING FACILITY.

This is a major forward step on behalf of the horseplayer.

For the first time since Palm Meadows began to be important to winter racing in South Florida, the betting public will have media access where many of the top trainers in America are based. Todd Pletcher is there, so is Graham Motion, Kiaran McLaughlin and many other prominent horsemen who run their best horses at Gulfstream and other tracks after working exclusively at Palm Meadows. Until now, no works in company, no gallop outs, no signs of early or late speed were reported for all but a few horses each season. This despite the fact that none of these trainers have required privacy from legit clocker services when they came to Southern California.

On behalf of horseplayers I personally applaud the decision by Gulfstream to support legit access and further appreciate the impact the dissemination of my column in this and other forums has had on this issue.

GradeOneRacing thanks all who made their feelings and thoughts known on twitter, Facebook and directly to Gulfstream.

This was one instance where the horseplayer's voice was heard and a bad policy was reversed.

Best of Luck and Good Handicapping/Steve Davidowitz

lamboguy
01-10-2012, 04:23 PM
i can't believe they are actually going to let people in that place to watch horses after the party those guys had the last 3 years.

none the less real good news

i got to give this guy davidowitz a double gold star for getting this one done. i constantly complained for 3 years and this guy got it done in less than a month.

Cardus
01-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Good job, HANA.

jelly
01-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Good Job! :ThmbUp:

I really don't know why they don't have a section open to the public. Couldn't this attract more people to the game?

Isn't santa Anita open to the public?

andymays
01-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Good Job! :ThmbUp:

I really don't know why they don't have a section open to the public. Couldn't this attract more people to the game?

Isn't santa Anita open to the public?

Bruno DeJulio and Steve Davidowitz led the way on this.

rrpic6
01-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Bruno DeJulio and Steve Davidowitz led the way on this.

Modern day Woodward and Bernstein! Two of the best in the business. Don't leave home without Bruno's workouts when playing So. Cal Pick 6's.

RR

andymays
01-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Modern day Woodward and Bernstein! Two of the best in the business. Don't leave home without Bruno's workouts when playing So. Cal Pick 6's.

RR
From what I understand they both put a lot of time into this effort. :ThmbUp:

lamboguy
01-10-2012, 09:19 PM
i certainly respect bruno, every time i have ever asked him to look at a horse for me, he has been spot on and does a great job evaluating the way the horse travels. he keeps great notes too.

Tom
01-10-2012, 11:22 PM
What a sorry-ass game this is when we have to celebrate THIS.
Shame on Palm Meadows for being SCUMBAGS.

This is like tanking Burger King for finally letting cutomers use the bathrooms.

Florida racing can go to hell - I will never support those pricks.

lamboguy
01-11-2012, 09:03 AM
What a sorry-ass game this is when we have to celebrate THIS.
Shame on Palm Meadows for being SCUMBAGS.

This is like tanking Burger King for finally letting cutomers use the bathrooms.

Florida racing can go to hell - I will never support those pricks.i think the thing that you have to celebrate is the tenacity of Davidowitz for taking on this matter.

i tried dealing with it on my own 3 years, i posted on this thread, and even the members here had their doubts that this type of thing even went on.

personally, i am not a number's type of guy, i believe that horses that work bad run bad, and vice versa. since the age of simulcasting i have developed a network of people that are clockers that watch horses the same way i like to watch them. i can go to places like NYRA tracks, new jersey, pennsylvania, fairhill, payson park, bowie and i am allowed to sit with the track clockers and clock my own horses the way it works for me. when you take away that option i am dead in the water.

for gulfstream this is a no lose proposition allowing the private clockers on the grounds. it will only mean more interest and handle for gulfstream.

Tom
01-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Restricting private clockers just underscore the basic problem with racing.
It has no idea who the customers really are. I doubt it ever will.