PDA

View Full Version : E readers

Robert Goren
01-09-2012, 07:34 AM
I am think about buying one of these things. Is there one that allows you to print out a page or a chart from a book?

pandy
01-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Good question. I just got the Kindle Touch as a Christmas gift and it's cool. You can print (see below for some ideas).

http://blogkindle.com/kindle-faq/#print

Boris
01-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Kindle was the surprise seller of the Christmas season. I couldn't keep them stock in Dec. They have the best technology of them all, and the Amazon infrastructure is very mature. Beats Nook hands down. Stay away from the $79 one. Interface is clunky. Kindle Touch if you want to read books and not looking for a tablet. If you are a reader, you will find that you will read more when you can adjust the font to your liking, and have the next book 2 minutes after you finish the book you are reading. In my area you can check out many library books on your Kindle. Great product.

badcompany
01-10-2012, 12:49 AM
The biggest problem with my Kindle is that I download so much stuff that I'm hopelessly behind on the books I want to read.

I've had one for about two years, and, and this point, unless it's unavailable on Kindle, I can't see any circumstances where I will ever buy another hard copy of a book.

Dave Schwartz
01-10-2012, 01:10 AM
I got an iPad for my birthday. I am hooked. It was that easy.

I just moved my Kindle stuff to the iPad Kindle app and was in business right away.

Originally I purchased it because we're developing for web/iPad/phones. I never really expected to use it much. But I can see how powerful it is. This is the future.

Dave

redshift1
01-12-2012, 04:17 AM
The biggest problem with my Kindle is that I download so much stuff that I'm hopelessly behind on the books I want to read.

I've had one for about two years, and, and this point, unless it's unavailable on Kindle, I can't see any circumstances where I will ever buy another hard copy of a book.

Stay away from Audible.com it only gets worse, soon you'll be years behind.

badcompany
01-12-2012, 02:58 PM
I've found that if you want to eliminate paper, you need both a Kindle and a Tablet.

The former is good for documents containing only words; the latter for charts, graphs and illustrations.

Also, I've found Tablets have two shortcomings as e-readers. First, the backlighting is hard on the eyes if you read for long periods. Second, they're virtually useless outdoors because of glare. On a sunny day, they basically become mirrors.

Tom
01-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Boris, I was considering the $79 version. I want to read PDF and text files - period. I don't want a book, no downloads, no nothing, just carry around a bunch of charts, PP, printouts, etc. What do you think of them for the limited scope?

badcompany
01-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Boris, I was considering the $79 version. I want to read PDF and text files - period. I don't want a book, no downloads, no nothing, just carry around a bunch of charts, PP, printouts, etc. What do you think of them for the limited scope?

Unless the newest versions are different, to read PDF files, you have to first covert them to Kindle files by sending the file as an attachment to your Kindle email address and type "convert" in the subject box.

It sounds like a pain but it's pretty easy once you do it a few times.

Dick Schmidt
01-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Tom,

Kindle will read PDF files without any conversion. However like on a PC you don't have much control over the look and feel. You can't change font sizes or do anything much with charts. PDF is a publishing format and just like a book, all you get to work with is what the publisher provides. I've read a couple of PDFs on my Kindle and find that in Landscape mode they were OK.

Dick

Evening news is where they begin with 'Good Evening,' and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.

HUSKER55
01-12-2012, 10:32 PM
just curious, is it possible to get a non glare glass on a tablet so you could read outside?

badcompany
01-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Tom,

Kindle will read PDF files without any conversion. However like on a PC you don't have much control over the look and feel. You can't change font sizes or do anything much with charts. PDF is a publishing format and just like a book, all you get to work with is what the publisher provides. I've read a couple of PDFs on my Kindle and find that in Landscape mode they were OK.

Dick

Evening news is where they begin with 'Good Evening,' and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.

I've found that if I don't convert the font ends up the same size as the bottom line of your post and can't be made larger.

badcompany
01-12-2012, 11:53 PM
just curious, is it possible to get a non glare glass on a tablet so you could read outside?

This summer, I'll probably give one of these a shot:

http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-iPad-ShieldView-SPK-A0326/dp/B004SGSHKC/ref=pd_sim_e_2

HUSKER55
01-13-2012, 06:07 AM
THANKS FOR THE INFO!

Tom
02-24-2012, 07:51 AM
Do I need a "service" with the Kindle? Or does it access through my existing IPO through my computer?

I will probably never download a book, but the idea of using it as an mp3 and a reader is interesting.

badcompany
02-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Do I need a "service" with the Kindle? Or does it access through my existing IPO through my computer?

I will probably never download a book, but the idea of using it as an mp3 and a reader is interesting.

Other than an Amazon account, you're good to go. With your Kindle, you also get a dedicated email account which allows you to email files to your Kindle from another device.

Tom
02-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks.
I'm looking at the Kindle Keyboard 3G for $139.

fast4522
03-16-2012, 07:34 PM
As a means of not printing and saving toner the thought might be doubling amount spent for the Samsung or Asus and taking advantage of the recliner and remote desktop feature then you can have Excel on the tablet as well if you are home.