PDA

View Full Version : WTC Survivors..

sq764
12-13-2003, 04:28 PM
I don't say this to be insensitive at all about the WTC deaths, but I was reading an article today about the survivors and was shocked a bout a few things:

1) The average payout to each family was $1.7 million

2) There was an actual survivor that was hurt who received almost $8 million.

3) Most of the remaining families are not collecting their share because they are planning to sue. If they collect, they will give up their right to sue.

I know this money was earmarked for WTC survivors and has to be paid out, but isn't it ironic that WTC survivors get 7 or 8 times what military personal that lose their lives get?

JustRalph
12-13-2003, 06:30 PM
there is a thread in here on it already ......it does suck!

JustRalph
12-13-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by sq764
I know this money was earmarked for WTC survivors and has to be paid out, but isn't it ironic that WTC survivors get 7 or 8 times what military personal that lose their lives get?

7 or 8 times? How much do you think a military widow gets?

A Generals wife might get more (it used to be based on rank and salary) but how many Generals get killed on duty? Not many. The lowly private or whatever makes a crappy salary and his wife will only get a portion of it. I found one example online.

see the article below: http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/special_packages/iraq/archive/pioneer_press/7315442.htm

Posted on Fri, Nov. 21, 2003

War widows seek to remarry without losing benefits
Associated Press

PONTIAC, Mich. - Widows of military men who died in the line of duty say it is unfair that they must choose between remarrying and retaining their survivor's benefits.

Yronna Johnson, a 57-year-old state worker, lost her husband in 1996 to liver cancer linked to his military duty in Vietnam. She said she wants to date and, eventually, remarry.

But Johnson does not want to sacrifice her military benefits.

Men and women whose spouses died due to duty-related injury or illness get an average of $980 a month, but currently lose it if they remarry.

"It's time to get remarried," Johnson told The Detroit News for a story Friday. "I have a house and it's human nature and natural to have a mate. People live longer when they have a mate."

A representative of the Veterans Administration "told me to 'stay away from men' ... those were the words from his mouth," said Johnson. "He said, 'You can't remarry and get your money.'"

A bill before Congress would allow military widows age 57 and older to remarry and retain their benefits. The bill has passed both houses of Congress, but House approval is needed for a Senate amendment.

There are an estimated 300,000 war widows in the United States, according to John Brennan of Gold Star Wives. About 2,500 to 5,000 would be immediately affected by the bill.

lsbets
12-13-2003, 07:18 PM
When it comes to military, don't forget the SGLI life insurance. It can be waived but I have never seen a soldier turn it down. Most opt for the max $250,000 coverage. I still think that it too little, but I have a personal stake in how much my wife would get - LOL.

sq764
12-14-2003, 10:21 AM
That was what I heard, $200K-$250K is about the norm for soldiers.. So that is where my 8 times came from..