PDA

View Full Version : Simulcasting and purses

highnote
01-08-2012, 01:13 AM
I was watching a videotape of Jack Van Berg about training thoroughbreds. It was produced around 1988. One quote caught my attention so I transcribed it:

Nowadays you have much more chance to make money in the horse business... in racing... on account of the purse structure... with simulcasting... everything has made the purse structure so big. If you look around on a weekend, you might have four or five races for $500,000 races. You might have ten races of $200,000 or more throughout the United States. About seven or eight years ago, you had to look around on a weekend for a $100,000 race. So the times have changed... the purses are bigger.

andymays
01-08-2012, 04:37 PM
I was watching a videotape of Jack Van Berg about training thoroughbreds. It was produced around 1988. One quote caught my attention so I transcribed it:

That kind of makes the point I was trying to make in this thread.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1214893#post1214893

raybo
01-23-2012, 09:14 AM

So, are you saying that he totally ignored the effect internet wagering has had on purses? Does he think that simulcast wagering outranks internet wagering and slots/racinos regarding the increases in purses? If he does then isn't he just another of those in the industry who really don't get it.

I seem to remember somewhere that internet wagering was the only growth segment in the whole industry. Maybe I'm mistaken?

highnote
01-23-2012, 12:24 PM
So, are you saying that he totally ignored the effect internet wagering has had on purses? Does he think that simulcast wagering outranks internet wagering and slots/racinos regarding the increases in purses? If he does then isn't he just another of those in the industry who really don't get it.

I seem to remember somewhere that internet wagering was the only growth segment in the whole industry. Maybe I'm mistaken?

I am pretty sure he ignored the effect of internet wagering since the quote I used came from 1988.

raybo
01-23-2012, 07:22 PM
I am pretty sure he ignored the effect of internet wagering since the quote I used came from 1988.

Ahhhh! Ok, that makes some sense.