Rapid Grey
01-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Aqueduct inner track
Louisiana QH
Turf Paradise

:sleeping:

dansan
01-07-2012, 05:35 PM
you forgot los alamitos they should change the name of the show to Chalk Pickers

Shemp Howard
01-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Can't wait until they add barrell racing to the line-up.

Striker
01-07-2012, 05:50 PM
They need Oaklawn to start ASAP.

toussaud
01-07-2012, 05:53 PM
And what makes it even worse is Aqueduct is done like at 3pm CST so they are just basically there twiddling their thumbs for the rest of the day

Rapid Grey
01-07-2012, 06:45 PM
They need Oaklawn to start ASAP.

Yep, and they should have worked out a deal with Tampa Bay. They think they are a lot more important than they are.

They had 3 guys on for their coast to coast coverage too! I can't bear to listen to Schrupp and Carrothers when they do have decent racing, i'm sure that was some entertaining downtime. Oh, but you get 3 months of race replays if you sign up now! :D

Beachbabe
01-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Ken must have seen the handwriting on the wall.

dansan
01-07-2012, 10:58 PM
He's on TV up in my neck of the woods

Big Russ
01-08-2012, 09:07 AM
To think it was just a few years ago that I was thrilled to be able to watch TVG and HRTV at home. Of course, I never thought I would replace the DRF either, and that was 15 years ago.

Really, with video for any track I play right at my fingertips on my laptop, including replays, I've already got exactly what I need for my style of play. I wish TVG and HRTV success, as I would like to see the sport promoted as much as possible in a positive way. But I have no interest in either at this point.

PhantomOnTour
01-08-2012, 09:14 AM
TVG is airing a Racing Roundtable on Jan 20 where the topic will be TVG Programming. You can email questions beforehand that you wish to be addressed.
Check their site for correct email address....wait, here it is:
roundtable@tvg.com. Airs at 5pm Pacific time.

JimG
01-08-2012, 09:15 AM
To think it was just a few years ago that I was thrilled to be able to watch TVG and HRTV at home. Of course, I never thought I would replace the DRF either, and that was 15 years ago.

Really, with video for any track I play right at my fingertips on my laptop, including replays, I've already got exactly what I need for my style of play. I wish TVG and HRTV success, as I would like to see the sport promoted as much as possible in a positive way. But I have no interest in either at this point.

Ditto. The streaming to my tv of multiple in house horse racing signals is all I ever wanted and now what I have. The quality is more than acceptable.

Jim

davew
01-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Many tracks have their own show between races which I guess has been going on for years - but now the show at some tracks is better than TVG or HRTV.

Was it TVG that got bought out by Betfair a couple of years ago? How was this supposed to increase their business/profitability?

usedtolovetvg
01-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Betfair bought TVG to get a business in the U.S. so they could introduce Exchange Wagering, plain and simple. If they get to run EB in the U.S. the 50 million plus will be marketing money well spent. If they don't get it, really chump change for these big time operators.

Not4Love
01-08-2012, 10:34 AM
I got r t n through dish network . Eliminate the insanity!!!!!! Tvg is a joke!!!!

macguy
01-08-2012, 11:51 AM
I got r t n through dish network . Eliminate the insanity!!!!!! Tvg is a joke!!!!

Not available up here in Canada (legally), but if I was down in the states that's certainly what I would be subscribing too. Why watch TVG or HRTV when you could be flipping back and forth between the actual feeds of your favorite tracks.

Al Gobbi
01-08-2012, 02:28 PM
The kicker is they aren't showing the full card from Parx this Tuesday instead showing QH's from Sunland and Louisiana.

Marshall Bennett
01-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Rich Perloff will love that. More times than not it's a contractual issue as to what gets priority. Obviously they don't always have their viewer's best interest in mind by those contracts. Same old shit.

BlueShoe
01-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Sunday afternoon and TVG is down to Sunland Park with three hosts trying to fill air time. In the meantime, Gulfstream, Fair Grounds, Santa Anita, and Golden Gate are going. Is this any way to run a business? Oh well, back to the football game.

Tom
01-08-2012, 05:41 PM
TVG is airing a Racing Roundtable on Jan 20 where the topic will be TVG Programming. You can email questions beforehand that you wish to be addressed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If they have do this, then they are not close to being smart enough to take any sound advice to begin with.

Best chuckel of 2012 so far...... :lol:

toussaud
01-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Sunday afternoon and TVG is down to Sunland Park with three hosts trying to fill air time. In the meantime, Gulfstream, Fair Grounds, Santa Anita, and Golden Gate are going. Is this any way to run a business? Oh well, back to the football game.
I mean I am not a TVG fan for the most part but this has nothing to do with TVG

Santa Anita, Golden GAte and Gulfstream are all owned by Magna which owns half of HRTV. Hell HRTV was formed originally just to be able to broadcast santa anita and gulfstream so there is no way in hell that TVG is getting those.

CDI, in 2007 signed a deal that sold them the toher half of HTV, and CDI owns Fair Grounds, Churchill, Arlington

so those are all HRTV tracks. they aren't going anywhere.

My gripe... IMHO is really with HRTV in this sense, that you know you have all these tracks, why are you messing around with Aqueduct winter racing? NOt craping on the racing at all but you have too much programming.

Oaklawn was very smart to go back to TVG. HrTV would have to fit oaklawn in there too last year. which they never did live

NTamm1215
01-08-2012, 07:15 PM
I mean I am not a TVG fan for the most part but this has nothing to do with TVG

Santa Anita, Golden GAte and Gulfstream are all owned by Magna which owns half of HRTV. Hell HRTV was formed originally just to be able to broadcast santa anita and gulfstream so there is no way in hell that TVG is getting those.

CDI, in 2007 signed a deal that sold them the toher half of HTV, and CDI owns Fair Grounds, Churchill, Arlington

so those are all HRTV tracks. they aren't going anywhere.

My gripe... IMHO is really with HRTV in this sense, that you know you have all these tracks, why are you messing around with Aqueduct winter racing? NOt craping on the racing at all but you have too much programming.

Oaklawn was very smart to go back to TVG. HrTV would have to fit oaklawn in there too last year. which they never did live

Is HRTV covering Aqueduct keeping them from giving Gulfstream, Fair Grounds, or Santa Anita their due? I definitely think it does not. Oaklawn was a totally different issue as they rarely showed an Oaklawn race live.

They also show Aqueduct because their ADW (Xpressbet) surely handles a lot of money on NY racing.

Tom
01-08-2012, 07:29 PM
All they need to do is shut up the hosts.
Send them all out for nice hot cup of Westrock.
Voila! Live races.

duh.

toussaud
01-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Is HRTV covering Aqueduct keeping them from giving Gulfstream, Fair Grounds, or Santa Anita their due? I definitely think it does not. Oaklawn was a totally different issue as they rarely showed an Oaklawn race live.

actually.. yeah.. lit kinda does. from someone who watches HRTV from 11 to 7 everyday, it's just too much racing at once Thursday- sunday

has nothing to do with how good or how bad AQU is, i didn't mean it that way. all I meant was TVG already covers that track. and Xpressbet takes plenty tracks that are TVG exclusive tracks like hollywood park, del mar, etc

on a thursday at 3pm CST you got santa anita, aqueduct, gulfstream, golden gate, fair grounds and laurel /pimlico . that's 6 tracks, and that would be hard to cover if they ran on a coordinated schedule and well all know they don 't. by 3pm half the tracks as it is are all on tape delay.

throw int he fact that, they are going to show santa anita live come hell or high water regardless of what else is going on, and you have a cluster#### waiting to happen every racing day. And when I say Live, I don't mean at the gate, they are going to go to the track 2-3 minutes before post and let the commentators talk about the race to try to drum up wagering.

Just saying that in the 2007 track snatch up that went down, HrTV over reached. Just too much content in the winter. that's why all the people complain about not showing live races. they can't.

NTamm1215
01-08-2012, 08:09 PM
actually.. yeah.. lit kinda does. from someone who watches HRTV from 11 to 7 everyday, it's just too much racing at once Thursday- sunday

has nothing to do with how good or how bad AQU is, i didn't mean it that way. all I meant was TVG already covers that track. and Xpressbet takes plenty tracks that are TVG exclusive tracks like hollywood park, del mar, etc

on a thursday at 3pm CST you got santa anita, aqueduct, gulfstream, golden gate, fair grounds and laurel /pimlico . that's 6 tracks, and that would be hard to cover if they ran on a coordinated schedule and well all know they don 't. by 3pm half the tracks as it is are all on tape delay.

throw int he fact that, they are going to show santa anita live come hell or high water regardless of what else is going on, and you have a cluster#### waiting to happen every racing day. And when I say Live, I don't mean at the gate, they are going to go to the track 2-3 minutes before post and let the commentators talk about the race to try to drum up wagering.

Just saying that in the 2007 track snatch up that went down, HrTV over reached. Just too much content in the winter. that's why all the people complain about not showing live races. they can't.

It's kind of funny, the thread is about TVG having no racing and you're talking about HRTV having too much. They do a pretty good job getting live races shown from those four tracks during the day.

In your hypothetical scenario they are not showing Laurel live and Aqueduct is about 10 minutes away from being over. Not showing Aqueduct would make no sense for HRTV, you at least understand that, right? It is a major handle producer and they are, like TVG, in the business of generating handle for their ADW. They are just not as forthright about trying to force you to their site to make wagers.

I really don't think there's such a thing as overreaching in this sense. HRTV manages their schedule well in my opinion, and would be foolish in discarding Aqueduct so that Golden Gate and Fair Grounds get more attention.

BlueShoe
01-09-2012, 08:39 AM
For the first time ever have been able to view, on a brief restricted basis, HRTV. On saturday and sunday one of the local cable stations, KVMD, is airing the signal in SoCal weekends between 2:30 and 5:00 Pacific time. KVMD is located in 29 Palms and usually broadcasts foreign language programs and infomercials. Just how a horse racing program ended up on a station like this have no idea, but will enjoy it while I can. By 2:30 we are down to SA, GG, and the end of Gulfstream and the Fairgrounds, everything that TVG does not handle. Scheduling aside, have been impressed with the overall professionalism. Have only been exposed to part of their staff, but their people seem to be more polished and composed, not as much chatter or the endless urging to bet, bet, bet that we get on TVG.

OTM Al
01-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Every year it's the same thing, so let's sum up

1) TVG has a poor selection of tracks in the winter time. They have a very good selection in the summer. HRTV has a good selection in the winter and not so great in the summer.

2) Did you like it better when no races were broadcast?

3) HRTV is associated with tracks. TVG is not. Thus their individual approaches are going to be different.

4) Would you rather not be able to see any tracks on TV at home?

5) Neither show is selling handicapping, they are trying to get people to bet their money.

6) I really hated it when all I could see were NY races when they were running, so would you REALLY like it if no one was showing the races?

7) I think it would be nice if cable companies offered both of these channels as I and many others would get both.

8) There is this thing called a mute button on your TV remote. If you don't have a remote, there is this thing called the volume control. Barring both of those, there is this thing called a channel selector.

Let us welcome in the first "I hate TVG" thread of the New Year. Some things never change....

Shelby
01-09-2012, 10:10 AM
I've said it before. I'm thankful and grateful that I can get TVG. Sure, it's slow right now, but it'll pick back up.

I figure it's saving me some money lol.

kid sapphire
01-09-2012, 10:55 AM
I've said it before. I'm thankful and grateful that I can get TVG. Sure, it's slow right now, but it'll pick back up.

I figure it's saving me some money lol.

I bet it sounds like you are shrewd player

Tom
01-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Let us welcome in the first "I hate TVG" thread of the New Year. Some things never change....

That is why we have these threads.
They frown when I start them on the NFL Forum. :rolleyes::D

David-LV
01-09-2012, 11:37 AM
I am glad that TVG is slow during this time of year as we are now getting excellent coverage of Meadowlands harness racing.
At least the commentators during the running of the Meadowlands have excellent knowledge of the sport and make it a pleasure to listen to them.

Marshall Bennett
01-09-2012, 12:08 PM
I don't watch as much of either network as I once did. Still enjoy Mondays and Tuesdays when Perloff is on. May not be the best handicapper, but he's interesting to listen to.
Yeah, I'd be pissed if the networks quit broadcasting, and I bitch about issues in these threads occasionally. Whether it's TVG or politics or whatever, isn't bitching a common theme in at least half the threads on this board?

BIG49010
01-09-2012, 12:38 PM
They screwed up when they wouldn't pay Tampa, now Tampa gets a little coverage on HRTV when they have time.

I know horse racing doesn't rate like the NFL, but we have a fan base that get's abused more than any other sport going!

Al Gobbi
01-09-2012, 01:02 PM
They screwed up when they wouldn't pay Tampa, now Tampa gets a little coverage on HRTV when they have time.

I think it is TVG that wants Tampa to pay for airtime.

redshift1
01-09-2012, 01:29 PM

TVG threads wax and wane on a lunar cycle, today is the Full Wolf Moon, probably worth an extra 10 posts.

Here's the TVG thread schedule for 2012.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45911225/ns/technology_and_science-space/#.Twsw4ph6M8M

Rapid Grey
01-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Every year it's the same thing, so let's sum up

1) TVG has a poor selection of tracks in the winter time. They have a very good selection in the summer. HRTV has a good selection in the winter and not so great in the summer.

2) Did you like it better when no races were broadcast?

3) HRTV is associated with tracks. TVG is not. Thus their individual approaches are going to be different.

4) Would you rather not be able to see any tracks on TV at home?

5) Neither show is selling handicapping, they are trying to get people to bet their money.

6) I really hated it when all I could see were NY races when they were running, so would you REALLY like it if no one was showing the races?

7) I think it would be nice if cable companies offered both of these channels as I and many others would get both.

8) There is this thing called a mute button on your TV remote. If you don't have a remote, there is this thing called the volume control. Barring both of those, there is this thing called a channel selector.

9) If you don't enjoy reading comments about TVG....
A) don't open the thread.
B) don't reply to it.

BlueShoe
01-09-2012, 04:29 PM
We should also welcome the first "I do not like (or do like) this track announcer because" thread of the New Year, recently posted. These two topics just might be the most popular ones on the racing forums, they always seem to pop up on a regular basis. :D

OTM Al
01-09-2012, 07:26 PM
9) If you don't enjoy reading comments about TVG....
A) don't open the thread.
B) don't reply to it.

Oh I enjoy them. I guess you were also angry this weekend because only one of the playoff games was aired on Fox?

NJ Stinks
01-09-2012, 10:13 PM
He's on TV up in my neck of the woods

How's Ken doing up there, Dansan? Do you ever see the show he's on?

Personally, I enjoyed the man - especially his sense of humor.

NJ Stinks
01-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Scheduling aside, have been impressed with the overall professionalism. Have only been exposed to part of their staff, but their people seem to be more polished and composed, not as much chatter or the endless urging to bet, bet, bet that we get on TVG.

I agree with you 100%, BlueShoe. I get both stations and prefer HRTV.

While I'm waiting for LSU to score, here's a few reasons why:

1. Todd Schrupp - usually I check to make sure my wallet is still in my back pocket when I hear his voice

2. Greg Wolf - brings less than nothing to the table on a daily basis

No use adding I hate the please bet early an often pleas - as if 98% of their viewers have forgotten we can bet. :rolleyes:

Still, the positives are undeniable IMO:

1. I can turn on racing all day long!

2. Guys like Carothers, Bray, Amoss, Lyons, and Paul Lo Duca can provide excellent reasons to back a horse

3. I just enjoy the work done by Perloff and Olivares. Nick Hines too. I used to enjoy Weaver and Joyce together on The Quarters too.

cj
01-09-2012, 11:00 PM

You could make your list a lot longer, plenty of time.

dansan
01-09-2012, 11:14 PM
he's on sacramento news station don't know exactly what he covers seen him only a couple of times one of the times was during the BC he was at CAL EXPO doing a segment on racing

BombsAway Bob
01-09-2012, 11:54 PM
here is my pitch, for a New show that could be packaged for
weekend Late-Nite repeats on GSN, like they do with Poker now.
---------
TELEVISION GAMES NETWORK & GAME SHOW NETWORK proudly present-

a brand NEW Game Show pitting Horse Racing Experts versus Bettors & Contestants

Are YOU "LUCKY or GOOD?"

This One-Hour show, airing LIVE on TVG & repeated weekends Late-Nite on GSN , features

TVG Expert Handicappers making selections versus regular horseplayers, AND

contestants with little or no knowledge of horse race handicapping, who can make

picks solely based on numbers, names, or any other hunches... WHO Will Triumph?!

There will be Five races per hour, & 5 people making selections.
(one from TVG, two horse bettors, two 'game show'contestants).

To keep scoring & following the leaders simple,
ALL wagers will be vertical(No DD/P345), w/Four choices of bet.
Every player gets a $120 Bankroll, & must make Five $24 Bets.

Each $24 Bet must be either:
($24 to Win)

($1 Four-Horse Trifecta Box, 4x3x2@$1=$24)

($2 Four-Horse Exacta Box, 4x3@$2=$24)

($.20 Five-Horse Superfecta Box, 5x4x3x2@$.20=$24)

After every race the leaderboard can be posted to create game show format.

TVG could use the simple "Live Chat" format used in "Night School" or "NYRA" chats.

Each contestant has photo avatar for TV interest.
TVG Moderator reviews edits posts made.

Each contestant posts selection, along with their reasons for it. i.e.,

"i want to make a $1 Trifecta Box, 1-9-8-5, since that's the year i was born"- Novice contestant.

chat screen can take up left half of screen some of the time, with Live track shot & TVG Studio host

splitting the other half of the screen. On-Air TVG host can comment on posts made by players.

Fast Paced, with one race every ten minutes or so. Great cross-promotion between

two networks focused on viewers playing along.

GSN Motto: "The World Needs More Winners"

GSN currently airs Late-Night Poker on weekends, with no viewer interaction.

TVG puts up the $600 (5 bets x $24 each=$120, times 5 Players) wagered,

so it's a Real-Money Event!
Players Keeps their Share of winnings,
so do they play Favorites, or Longshots?!

Top Finisher gets to Play again the Next week,
creating potential of Viewers Following a "Hot" Player over time

olddaddy
01-10-2012, 12:07 AM
I like to watch live thoroughbred racing and dont care who is in the studio or what they talk about or the paper wagers they put out. The thing that amazes me is how anyone would use TVG as their ADW. I see absolutely no advantage now in using them. I have an account with them because they used to be the only one that took Japan bets so I used them only for that but now it appears twinspires is taking japan bets so I probably will never use TVG again.

Tom
01-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Xpressbet has a thing called Beat the Host.

I would love to see that at TVG!

:lol:

toussaud
01-10-2012, 11:27 PM
I agree with you 100%, BlueShoe. I get both stations and prefer HRTV.

1. Todd Schrupp - usually I check to make sure my wallet is still in my back pocket when I hear his voice

2. Greg Wolf - brings less than nothing to the table on a daily basis

No use adding I hate the please bet early an often pleas - as if 98% of their viewers have forgotten we can bet. :rolleyes:

Still, the positives are undeniable IMO:

1. I can turn on racing all day long!

2. Guys like Carothers, Bray, Amoss, Lyons, and Paul Lo Duca can provide excellent reasons to back a horse

3. I just enjoy the work done by Perloff and Olivares. Nick Hines too. I used to enjoy Weaver and Joyce together on The Quarters too. the quarters is like the waffle house of horse racing.

you go out to the club or go out to a bar, you don't get lucky, you are half drunk, but you want some late night action.. screw it this looks good. ain't like i'm getting any real action anyway.