PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express Problem

LurkingBettor
12-13-2003, 12:53 PM
Problem for the computer gurus. Booted up this morning, double-clicked on Outlook Express and got the following message.

"Outlook Express could not be started. The application was unable to create the Internet Account Manager. Your computer may be out of memory or your disk is full. Contact MicroSoft support for further assistance. (0X8000CDD01)"

Then:

"Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized. Outlook Express may not be installed correctly."

For the record, I don't think I'm out of memory or my disk is full. Will do some research on that after posting here. Everything was working fine last night around 1:00 a.m. I did delete cookies in IE at one point.

TIA for any help!
LB

p.s. - MSPaint is not working either. Got a MFC42.DLL error.

so.cal.fan
12-13-2003, 04:16 PM
I'm sure Ralph or someone else can explain this, I don't have a clue.
However......when I have a problem like this, I always call my ISP and talk to a tech support.......if you get one who doesn't help you try again, they are not all the same......keep calling with the problem, and eventually someone will help you.
Good luck, I know how frustrating this is..........:confused:

LurkingBettor
12-13-2003, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping that Just Ralph or some other equally talented guru will see this after a day of watching the races.

Ironically, I have IE, just no OE.

Should mention that I'm using Windows ME. I have tried a partial install of OE through IE setup but it's not letting me do that.

LB

so.cal.fan
12-13-2003, 04:39 PM
Don't worry, Ralph will figure it out.
Probably just a small problem, if we only knew WHAT TO DO!
Have you tried using another computer to access your mail?
www.mail2web.com

JustRalph
12-13-2003, 05:20 PM
nasty one.......!@ really.......

first of all you didn't say what version of Winders! that would help. How about reading this document below:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=245419

it is pretty involved. If using win98, run scanreg first and pray. If using XP go to a system restore point. If the above link or any of the above are "above" your comfort level.........re-post and we can walk you thru it. Let me know what version of winders.........

P.S. the fact that you got another DLL message with Paint can tell the tail......plain old corruption...............first let me know about the above.........

LurkingBettor
12-13-2003, 05:46 PM
Thanks Ralph,

Realized I had left that out. Added in 2nd post.

Windows ME.

Will go to the link and research shortly. So far, the only 2 things not working are OE and Paint.

Have already made a backup copy of OE folders and address book. Anything else I should consider?

Thanks again.

p.s. - Had already tried the system restore. Went back several days and tried several times. It kept saying that were NO changes to my computer so restore could not be performed.

so.cal.fan
12-13-2003, 05:57 PM
I don't know if Ralph would concur on this, but I have heard Windows ME is the worst one.
You may want to upgrade to Windows XP, Lurking Bettor, and save yourself yet more trouble?

JustRalph
12-13-2003, 06:29 PM
go over to Windows update and try to update your version of Outlook Express.....if there is one available it may take care of the problem. I recommend WinMe to people I hate......or those who forget to pay me on jobs....does that tell you what I think of it?

:cool:

LurkingBettor
12-13-2003, 06:45 PM
SCF,

Thanks, that link allowed me to check current day's email. Unfortunately, no message from TVG saying I was in the top 4 in their tournament. :D

JR,

Will do. Had wondered if that was an option. Quite frankly, the registry stuff is probably over my head. I'm a half ass 'puter nerd apparently using a half ass operating system. :confused:

Will post back later this evening or tomorrow a.m.

Thanks much,
LB

LurkingBettor
12-14-2003, 12:01 PM
JR,

I tried an update of OE and IE....neither of which worked. Any other options?

1) Would copying the MSOE.DLL from another source work?
2) What damage would completely deleting OE and reinstalling do, or, would that not work either?

Thanks,
LB

LurkingBettor
12-14-2003, 12:14 PM
A possible explanation for the probs?

When I go into my IE folder and look around, I've noticed that the IESETUP file has changed to an Easy CD Creator File. I also recall that at one point on Friday an Easy CD program fired up (on it's own?) and stuck an icon on my toolbar. Couldn't get it to go away until I turned off the puter.

Hope this helps.

Suff
12-14-2003, 12:15 PM
can you go into start , control panel, add/remove/ , windows components, and uninstall outlook express. Then restart, go back and repeat the steps above and re-install it. Restart again and it may work,,

A Layman's suggestion.

so.cal.fan
12-14-2003, 01:25 PM
Perhaps we need a new topic section to discuss computer issues?
I personally would like this, we have lots of good advice here, and to be able to go back and check it out would sure be helpful to people like me, and a few others.

Now, I know Ralph is a nice enough chap not to charge us a fee!
LOL

JustRalph
12-14-2003, 05:16 PM
LB

your underlying system files are corrupt. The fat table on your machine may be damaged. This is why your ie.exe is now easy cd. The fat table is like the contents of a book. The ops system goes back to look at it everytime you make a request (at least in win98-95 and prior, it does) to see where the files are located etc. It is passing bad info to the ops system and finding the wrong files etc. Back up anything important and don't reboot too much. Then drop to dos mode ( shutdown, "restart in ms-dos mode", not a dos prompt) and run "scandisk" and record what it finds. Just type scandisk and let it run a surface scan and every other check etc. It will take a while depending on the size of your drive. But it may also repair the fat table. record the findings and post back.

LurkingBettor
12-15-2003, 10:58 AM
JR,

Thanks for your ongoing help. The ScanDisk came back with "Found Errors on this Drive and Fixed Them All." It did not appear to fix my OE problem. I did NOT reboot after the scan.

LMK what you think the next attack should be. I might go ahead and try the registry edit if you deem that the most advisable. Would that be easier than completely deleting OE and trying to reinstall it?

Thanks again,
LB

PaceAdvantage
12-15-2003, 12:28 PM
Not sure about a computer section...I'm still trying to figure out the proposed harness section....LOL

headhawg
12-15-2003, 09:06 PM
Lurking,

Try this. It is a pretty easy registry fix. Hope it helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310894

HH

LurkingBettor
12-16-2003, 12:12 AM
HH,

That error message was the exact one. The instructions looked less foreboding too and appeared to work!

Thanks to you, JustRalph and SCF for the support.

Regards,
LB

JustRalph
12-16-2003, 05:35 AM
Ok...... I sent you the older version of that article.......

I am glad it is working...........

headhawg
12-16-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Ok...... I sent you the older version of that article.......

I am glad it is working...........

Yeah, I guess it was. I didn't check the link.

Glad it worked, though.

HH

LurkingBettor
12-16-2003, 10:59 AM
Yeah, JR,

I think the other one would have worked too. Kept putting off attempting it 'cause the registry changes skeered me away.

Funny how in the most recent instructions, MS gave you instructions on how to backup up OE using the "Tools" function. How's one supposed to get there if OE's not working due to the dll file being out of whack?

Thanks again!