PDA

View Full Version : Death of Don Carter

Overlay
01-07-2012, 04:30 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/home/story/Pro-bowling-great-Don-Carter-dies-at-age-85-010612

Legendary pro bowler Don Carter, who was a key figure in popularizing bowling on TV, has passed away at age 85. In 1970, he was voted as the #1 bowler of all time. He was noted for his distinctive bent-arm backswing on his delivery, in contrast to the usual practice of keeping the arm straight.

Here's a clip from the early 1950's:

zDIgzpIKg-Q

Steve 'StatMan'
01-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Not only a great bowler, but a great man. Him and his wife Paula were very generous with their time and money setting up charities and helping abused children.

This version of the article leaves out the mention in the copy that was on ESPN's website. Sadly, you have to type Bowling into the search to find it, and it is the only article on the bowling that comes up - the rest are mostly about the college football bowl games, and perhaps something on cricket, or a sport event offering a bowl prize.

I do love that video clip, found it a few months ago. Love seeing the pinboys and the semi-automatic pin setters. Also the live TV commercial for Brunswick - don't remember if this one, or the one with Marion Ladewig's victory, the person showing the bowling ball tried to put the wrong fingers in the holes.

That longtime venue of the BPAA All-Star was the Chicago Coliseum, on Wabash just south of Roosevelt Rd. It has been gone for decades. It was located about 2-3 blocks south of the offices of the Illinois Sports News, of Green Sheet fame and old-time bookmaking lore, my employer of the last 11 years.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-07-2012, 09:53 AM
I just had to post a link to a video montage of bowlers from Championship Bowling, the famous bowling show from the 50's & 60's. I loved to watch it as a kid in the 60's, spuring my old, not quite fully fulfilled bowling dreams (I'm glad to have found & settled on Horse Racing & Handicapping instead.)

I miss the Golden Age Of Bowling.

melman
01-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Steve Stat Man---Don Carter and Dick Weber are the names I remember best. However there was a lefty with a big hook Johnny Petraglia who was a big time winner also.
Bowling is very much alive and well in Philly. It's just that you would never recognize the game. :) Quaker City Lanes, 8 lanes, $30 a game, you NEED reservations. :) Big time names show up on a regular basis. Jimmy Rollins and his wife are often seen bowling. However the game is done in a party time atmosphere. Lot's of noise, dancing, and side bets. :lol: NOT the game we knew for sure.

Bettowin
01-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Earl Anthony was a calm cool character:)

Marshall Bennett
01-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Don Carter and Dick Weber were bowling legends, but it was Marshall Holman and Pete Weber that brought excitement to the game. The newer equipment has taken over now, skill isn't as important as in year's past and I find pro bowling quite dull once again.
RIP Don.

NJ Stinks
01-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Just wanted to mention another guy who did a lot for pro bowling - Chris Schenkel. :ThmbUp:

PhantomOnTour
01-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Mark Roth was the man.

judd
01-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Don Carter and Dick Weber were bowling legends, but it was Marshall Holman and Pete Weber that brought excitement to the game. The newer equipment has taken over now, skill isn't as important as in year's past and I find pro bowling quite dull once again.
RIP Don.
REMEMBER THEM WHEN GROWING UP :ThmbUp:

lamboguy
01-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Not only a great bowler, but a great man. Him and his wife Paula were very generous with their time and money setting up charities and helping abused children.

This version of the article leaves out the mention in the copy that was on ESPN's website. Sadly, you have to type Bowling into the search to find it, and it is the only article on the bowling that comes up - the rest are mostly about the college football bowl games, and perhaps something on cricket, or a sport event offering a bowl prize.

I do love that video clip, found it a few months ago. Love seeing the pinboys and the semi-automatic pin setters. Also the live TV commercial for Brunswick - don't remember if this one, or the one with Marion Ladewig's victory, the person showing the bowling ball tried to put the wrong fingers in the holes.

That longtime venue of the BPAA All-Star was the Chicago Coliseum, on Wabash just south of Roosevelt Rd. It has been gone for decades. It was located about 2-3 blocks south of the offices of the Illinois Sports News, of Green Sheet fame and old-time bookmaking lore, my employer of the last 11 years.
that man was a true all-star!

we are all fortunate to have lived in the time of a great inspirational man in DON CARTER