PDA

View Full Version : GPS: Avoid that Ghetto feature

JustRalph
01-06-2012, 06:14 PM
http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2012/01/06/microsoft-patents-avoid-ghetto-feature-for-gps-devices/

What will they think of next............ :lol:

I tried it and Detroit has completely disappeared ? :lol:

chickenhead
01-06-2012, 10:20 PM
I really want to have different voices for the GPS on my phone....And I'd like the ability to choose for more abuse and tension like the old co-pilot with a map days, things are too easy nowadays, boring.

I'm tired of hearing "At the next available junction please perform a legal U-Turn."

I want to hear someone scream at me "Jesus Christ, I said left. LEFT! Turn around you idiot, you're heading to Sacramento!"

Instead of "Calculating Route" I want to hear "Gimme a second, a-hole, lemme figure out where we are. Which way is West again?"

I'd like some bad directions thrown in, I wanna hear "Oh, WHOOPS, remember I said turn left, I meant right. LOCK THE DOORS!, the cops aren't even brave enough to cruise this neighborhood. Do not stop, do not make eye contact."

newtothegame
01-06-2012, 11:30 PM
I really want to have different voices for the GPS on my phone....And I'd like the ability to choose for more abuse and tension like the old co-pilot with a map days, things are too easy nowadays, boring.

I'm tired of hearing "At the next available junction please perform a legal U-Turn."

I want to hear someone scream at me "Jesus Christ, I said left. LEFT! Turn around you idiot, you're heading to Sacramento!"

Instead of "Calculating Route" I want to hear "Gimme a second, a-hole, lemme figure out where we are. Which way is West again?"

I'd like some bad directions thrown in, I wanna hear "Oh, WHOOPS, remember I said turn left, I meant right. LOCK THE DOORS!, the cops aren't even brave enough to cruise this neighborhood. Do not stop, do not make eye contact."

Priceless !!! Thanks for the laugh chicken. Even though in some instances I have to agree with ya...! I would much prefer the NON politically correct versions in a lot of things!

Grits
01-06-2012, 11:54 PM
:lol::lol::lol: Good one, Chickie. Sounds like you have the same person in outer space leading you around that I have. When I don't wanna go her way, she irritates me with that, calculating route. I'm in the car, alone, telling her to "shut the hell up. I don't wanna go your way."

HUSKER55
01-07-2012, 05:13 AM
hey chick...good one!:lol: :lol:

Actor
01-07-2012, 05:39 AM

I'd like some bad directions thrown in, I wanna hear "Oh, WHOOPS, remember I said turn left, I meant right. LOCK THE DOORS!, the cops aren't even brave enough to cruise this neighborhood. Do not stop, do not make eye contact."Be careful what you wish for. :lol:

JustRalph
01-18-2012, 11:16 PM
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/01/17/app-that-would-guide-users-away-from-high-crime-areas-proves-controversial/

Here comes the opponents

Recently the wife and I were trying to find the nearest Home Depot. We were in an unfamiliar area near Baltimore. We plugged Home Depot into the GPS and approx 5 miles later got off the Freeway. I was forced to do a U-Turn and flee the area back to the freeway.....all I could think about was this app. I would use it in a heartbeat............

BlueShoe
01-18-2012, 11:38 PM
As the forum Luddite, I will never experience any of the feelings mentioned above. Do not posses a GPS device and have no intention of ever doing so. Do things the old fashioned way; I have excellent hard copy maps and read them carefully before departing if required. If I ever get another automobile that has a built in GPS system I am really going to have a problem deciding what to do.

newtothegame
01-18-2012, 11:48 PM
As the forum Luddite, I will never experience any of the feelings mentioned above. Do not posses a GPS device and have no intention of ever doing so. Do things the old fashioned way; I have excellent hard copy maps and read them carefully before departing if required. If I ever get another automobile that has a built in GPS system I am really going to have a problem deciding what to do.
Blue, I recently bought a new truck that has it as standard equipment.
Because of work and grandaughters dancing, we travle quite a bit and I can tell you I was at first like you. Over the last three months though, I have used the truck and its on board navigation systems with great appreciation for it.
being able to find a resturaunt, or any other business with just a voice command has not only saved time but a lot of frustration listening to the wife tell me how i should of gotten directions lol....:lol:

johnhannibalsmith
01-19-2012, 12:32 AM

I'm the same way. Maps work just fine so why do I need this?

Of course, I got stuck out of state working this summer and had no idea where anything was and a friend gave me his GPS so I could find a bank to cash a check. I didn't want to give it back once I figured out how to stop the lady from barking at me about a left turn every other second. :lol: Kinda neat in all honesty, but I still haven't run off to buy one for myself.

BlueShoe
01-19-2012, 12:58 AM
Can only think of one situation in which I will admit that a GPS would be helpful, and it is one that I have experienced. When arriving in a strange town, alone, and after dark, it can be very dicey in trying to find a particular place, say like a hotel at which you intend to stay. Because of the unfamiliarity and darkness you must pay attention to your driving, for obvious safety reasons. Finding a place is tough under those conditions. Other than that, the maps work fine. I actually enjoy poring over maps when planning a trip, it adds to the anticipation. Using a teckie toy would take that away. One concesstion to the computer age; will sometimes use an online map for a basic check, but often as not will deviate from it and use the hardcopy map. Have heard many funny, and not so funny, stories about a GPS or online map leading a motorist into a cornfield, dead end street, river, etc.

bigmack
01-19-2012, 01:06 AM
I'm surrounded by xenophobes!

Mackenbaum rolls with a varied crowd.

Word to the wise. If you feel unable to 'handle yourself' in a certain part of town, 'blend in' or grow a pair.

Pow pow. Bang bang./

rastajenk
01-19-2012, 08:29 AM
As the forum Luddite...Hey, that's my title! :D

I can't ever even imagine being out and about and needing a TomTom. No offense, Tom. :cool:

maddog42
01-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Nichols Hills cops here in OKC have been known to pull over older or Junker type
cars. The rich don't want to mingle with, poor people, blacks or white trash. Since I qualify on 2 of 3, I need to avoid these places.

DJofSD
01-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Do Boy Scouts get merit badges for GPS navigation?