PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Fields a joke??

sq764
12-13-2003, 11:02 AM
I was watching the Delaware Park replay show last night and watched the Hollywood replay of their card. Are you kidding me??

The first trifecta payout I saw wasn't until the 4th race!!

It's kind of embarrassing I would think to continue to card these 5 horse races..

I mean when it comes down to it, if I choose to wager on a 10 horse field at Mountaineer, a 12 horse field at Sam Houston or a 5 horse field at Hollywood, guess where I am going..

(This almost reminds me of the last year of the Garden St meet, where they had to race like 5 races to even fill fields of 7 or 8)

Whirlaway
12-13-2003, 11:39 AM
It's very, very sad and frustrating. The 8% purse cut seems to have been a tipping point that has sent things from bad to awful. Trainers seem to be holding out for what they anticipate will be larger purses at Santa Anita.

The first few weeks at SA should be decent, but after that it will be more of same. I find it wierd that any reasonably decent horse entered will get claimed, often in a multi-way shake, but no one will claim a horse out of state and ship it in.

kingfin66
12-13-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by sq764
It's kind of embarrassing I would think to continue to card these 5 horse races..

Today they have a race with a 5 horse field with, get this, an entry! A four horse field. That said, I really like the 8th race.

cj
12-13-2003, 12:54 PM
More and more of these SoCal horses are starting to show up in unusual places...ie NY, Del, FG, DeD, etc. Probably just too expensive to run there when other places offer comparable purses.

blind squirrel
12-13-2003, 01:04 PM
The people in SOCAL have this provincial attitude
that racing in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA is superior
to the rest of AMERICA.

like a faded HOLLYWOOD starlet,with too much
make up and too much plastic surgery,SOUTHERN
CALIFORNIA racing your time has come and gone.

now we know why the pick 6 is so popular!
pretty easy to handicap a 5 horse field.

cj
12-13-2003, 03:35 PM
This place is pathetic...a horse scratches in the gate for the 1st race forcing the track to cancel show wagering! What a pathetic meet they are running. I've never heard that one before, cancelling of show wagering at post time. Its not like they were down to 3 betting interests, there were still 4. Truly pathetic as I said earlier.

kingfin66
12-13-2003, 03:49 PM
Pathetic, but I still like the 8th race.

Tom
12-13-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
This place is pathetic...a horse scratches in the gate for the 1st race forcing the track to cancel show wagering! What a pathetic meet they are running. I've never heard that one before, cancelling of show wagering at post time. Its not like they were down to 3 betting interests, there were still 4. Truly pathetic as I said earlier.

So....Ken got a refund?:D

JustRalph
12-13-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski

You can thank Gray Davis and the Ca legislature.

$95 for the rider
$95 workmans comp that covers the race for the rider (just the one race)
$37 Dollars per $100 in payroll for Workers comp on your backstretch types. That is a 37% percent tax.

Gas was $2 bucks a gallon all summer (not sure what it is now) so when you haul any horses around, it cost you big time.

Why would any trainer want to run in Ca anymore?

They can't all be Shuman/Gill money burners..........

There are tons of businesses that won't even consider expansion to California for these reasons. So, they made their own bed. If you don't have tons of money they don't want you there. 9.75% percent sales tax in some counties was on the horizon when I was living there last summer. There is an incredible divide between the have's and have nots. There is no middle class in California.

Observer
12-13-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by blind squirrel
The people in SOCAL have this provincial attitude
that racing in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA is superior
to the rest of AMERICA. ...

The problem is not just isolated to Southern California ... Golden Gate is suffering with small fields as well .. as did Bay Meadows.