PDA

View Full Version : Social Statement

Cholly
01-06-2012, 10:12 AM
This filly running in today's A8 (sn2x/OC). On January 2nd, she was claimed by Winning Move away from Vincent Scuderi. The old trainer was R. Dutrow; the new trainer?...R. Dutrow...what a coincidence! And today running back on 4 days rest!!

Do I detect a whiff in the air?

I guess it's legal, but I'll bet with my feet on NYRA allowing this move.

p.s. Oh, I forgot to include that in the race Jan 2, Social Statement absolutely tanked (5th of 7) at 4-5 odds.

cj
01-06-2012, 11:02 AM
This filly running in today's A8 (sn2x/OC). On January 2nd, she was claimed by Winning Move away from Vincent Scuderi. The old trainer was R. Dutrow; the new trainer?...R. Dutrow...what a coincidence! And today running back on 4 days rest!!

p.s. Oh, I forgot to include that in the race Jan 2, Social Statement absolutely tanked (5th of 7) at 4-5 odds.

Before getting all wound up for nothing, the horse is scratched. Had you thought it through rather than jumping to conclusions, you would have realized this horse was entered for today's race BEFORE she was claimed from her last. Dutrow entered the horse, doesn't have her any longer, thus she isn't allowed to run.

Cholly
01-06-2012, 11:10 AM
I stand corrected.

cj
01-06-2012, 11:11 AM
I stand corrected.

I re-read my post and it sounds a bit harsh, my apologies.

Brogan
01-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Before getting all wound up for nothing, the horse is scratched. Had you thought it through rather than jumping to conclusions, you would have realized this horse was entered for today's race BEFORE she was claimed from her last. Dutrow entered the horse, doesn't have her any longer, thus she isn't allowed to run.
(Emphasis added)

Technically, I don't think this is correct. Prior engagements are valid for a claimed horse (of course, the horse would run under the names of the new owner and trainer). However running back in 4 days is generally pretty extreme and the new connections most likely asked out.

cj
01-06-2012, 02:12 PM
(Emphasis added)

Technically, I don't think this is correct. Prior engagements are valid for a claimed horse (of course, the horse would run under the names of the new owner and trainer). However running back in 4 days is generally pretty extreme and the new connections most likely asked out.

I asked, and that is what I was told. Perhaps you are right as well. The point was that nothing shady was happening here. It is certainly possible the people that claimed the horse saw she was entered right back and assumed she was in top form.

Striker
01-06-2012, 02:24 PM

The trainer listed when the horse was claimed (on the chart) a few days ago was Dominic Galluscio for Winning Move. If this horse is with Dutrow as the horse was listed with him as the trainer in the pps today, then is there some sort of rule in NY about changing trainers after a claim like this, especially with a case like this one?

cj
01-06-2012, 02:29 PM
The trainer listed when the horse was claimed (on the chart) a few days ago was Dominic Galluscio for Winning Move. If this horse is with Dutrow as the horse was listed with him as the trainer in the pps today, then is there some sort of rule in NY about changing trainers after a claim like this, especially with a case like this one?

Dutrow isn't the trainer now which is probably what led to the confusion.

Striker
01-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Makes sense now.

Rise Over Run
01-06-2012, 07:54 PM
The same thing happened on December 9th. Dutrow lost Chickatari to a claim at Parx on December 4th but he had also entered her at AQU on the 9th, which resulted in an early scratch.

postpicker
01-07-2012, 09:51 AM
In NY, once a horse is entered in a race for a trainer, he must run for that trainer, there is no change allowed. So when Social Statement was claimed by Galluscio, the horse became an automatic scratch. In past performances, the trainer change is not shown because the PP's have already been generated when the overnight was made and entries sent from the track to Equibase and then to the DRF. When the horse is entered next time, the trainer change will be made then. If you check Equibase right now, you will see Social Statement still listed as Dutrow and Scuderi.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-07-2012, 10:07 AM
There are also cases of buy backs, as well as voided claims which don't appear in the pps, but might look similar to this case.

postpicker
01-07-2012, 10:29 AM
rules state once a horse is claimed he cannot be sold or have a transfer of ownership for 30 days after the claim. If a claim is voided it usually happens right away or there is a situation like a medication positive and that takes a few days to come out which would have been past the date Social Statement would have run.