PDA

View Full Version : $2.50 For The New York Times.

BlueShoe
01-04-2012, 10:47 PM
In spite of sharply declining circulation, reduced ad revenue, and sagging profitability, the Times is increasing it's daily newstand price from $2.00 to $2.50. The Times, long considered the High Holy Journal of Liberalism and a poster child for leftist bias in the printed media, has apparently blundered into the typical liberal mindthink of reacting to a declining business model by raising prices. Two bucks for a daily paper is outrageous, now they want two and a half? Six bucks for the Sunday edition? Eastern liberals must really be hooked on leftist spin to put up that much to be fed a steady stream of far left nonsense.
www.mediapost.com/publications/article/165083/nyt-raises-newstand-price-shores-up-declining.html (http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/165083/nyt-raises-newstand-price-shores-up-declining.html)

Tom
01-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Nothing improves circulation like a price hike!

All the news that's fit to gouge!

PhantomOnTour
01-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Pathetic, you.

lsbets
01-04-2012, 11:15 PM
If you overlook the opinion page, the NY Times is without question the finest newspaper around, and well worth the price, which is why I get it delivered in Texas. Yeah I can read it online, but I like opening the paper with a cup of coffee in my hand.

Tom
01-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Pathetic, you.

You think this will increase circulation????

PhantomOnTour
01-04-2012, 11:20 PM
You think this will increase circulation????
No.

Complaining about the price is one thing, but going all soccer mom politico over it is another.
Some people have it and they have it bad.

redshift1
01-04-2012, 11:24 PM
In spite of sharply declining circulation, reduced ad revenue, and sagging profitability, the Times is increasing it's daily newstand price from $2.00 to $2.50. The Times, long considered the High Holy Journal of Liberalism and a poster child for leftist bias in the printed media, has apparently blundered into the typical liberal mindthink of reacting to a declining business model by raising prices. Two bucks for a daily paper is outrageous, now they want two and a half? Six bucks for the Sunday edition? Eastern liberals must really be hooked on leftist spin to put up that much to be fed a steady stream of far left nonsense.
www.mediapost.com/publications/article/165083/nyt-raises-newstand-price-shores-up-declining.html (http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/165083/nyt-raises-newstand-price-shores-up-declining.html)

Six line paragraph with left/liberal used exactly six times, nice symmetry sorta like a sestet stanza. . .bravo !

Cardus
01-04-2012, 11:36 PM
If you overlook the opinion page, the NY Times is without question the finest newspaper around, and well worth the price, which is why I get it delivered in Texas. Yeah I can read it online, but I like opening the paper with a cup of coffee in my hand.

Tough to overlook a newspaper's front page, no?

The Wall Street Journal's writing is better than that of the New York Times.

Robert Goren
01-04-2012, 11:37 PM
If you don't read it because of you think it has a liberal bias, why do you care what the price is? A typical conservative bitching about something that doesn't concern him. Get a life! Now you want bitch about the price of DRF if you can even find one, I will gladly join in.

bigmack
01-04-2012, 11:38 PM
The Wall Street Journal's writing is better than that of the New York Times.
Holy Underwear, I agree with ONE opinion of yours but I'm not happy about it.

The Journal runs rings around The Grey Lady.

BlueShoe
01-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Six line paragraph with left/liberal used exactly six times, nice symmetry sorta like a sestet stanza. . .bravo !.
You like? Actually, much stronger more sarcastic things could have been said, for example, like this one; the New York Times political slant and positions taken on their OpEd page is like reading a pre 1991 edition of Pravda. :rolleyes: Better?

boxcar
01-04-2012, 11:49 PM
You like? Actually, much stronger more sarcastic things could have been said, for example, like this one; the New York Times political slant and positions taken on their OpEd page is like reading a pre 1991 edition of Pravda. :rolleyes: Better?

You're hot tonight, Bluey. :D

Boxcar

Robert Goren
01-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Tough to overlook a newspaper's front page, no?

The Wall Street Journal's writing is better than that of the New York Times.Apples to Oranges for the most part. The WSJ is for people who play the stock market, not for the general public. I used to subscribe to it before I retired. Not a bad paper if you don't read the editorial page. It was a much more useful paper before Murdock took it over. He cut out some of the useful features that I read it for. So it goes.
The NYT is basically useless unless you live in NY or into the art scene. Besides the print is too small.

JustRalph
01-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Get the post on the iPad.........

Lots of fun

redshift1
01-05-2012, 12:21 AM

More a fan of your ornamentation than function, who cares about content.

BlueShoe
01-05-2012, 12:44 AM
What is the newstand price of your favorite newspaper? How does it compare to the price of the NYT? My local paper, the Orange County Register, is 75 cents daily and $1.50 Sunday. Not long ago they went up from 50 cents to 75 and raised their subsription rate, and it caused some growling. Now compare those prices, and the price of your paper, against the price of the Times. They may have a very good sports section and a fine weekend travel section, but $2.50 a copy and six bucks on Sunday? Their notorious political bias has alienated many readers, and their shrinking base reflects this. So now the already overpriced paper is raised even more? Not a very good way to do business, do you not agree?

jelly
01-05-2012, 12:51 AM
This story always brings a smile to my face :)

The liberal NYT's purchased The liberal Boston Globe in 1993 for $1.1 billion.

2009 story from the Times.

I asked six people involved in the industry with track records in valuing media properties to assess The Globe. Their answers were surprising, both in their breadth — everything from $250 million to “we pay you to take this off our hands.

Reed Phillips, media analyst at DeSilva & Phillips:

“A year ago, no one would have been saying that The Boston Globe has no value. But the media world has changed dramatically since then,” he wrote. “I think the range of values that the New York Times Company is likely to get for The Boston Globe are, at the high end, not more than $50 million and, at the low end, a requirement to help fund the buyer’s acquisition with as much as $25 million contributed by The New York Times (yes, you read that right!).”

Ken Doctor, newspaper analyst at OutSell Inc.: “The best guesstimate of the real price: a buck. :lol:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/15/business/media/15carr.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&sq=carr&st=cse&scp=2

NJ Stinks
01-05-2012, 03:09 AM
People spend $2.50 for a cup of coffee. A great newspaper isn't worth that?

Tom
01-05-2012, 07:39 AM
No.

Complaining about the price is one thing, but going all soccer mom politico over it is another.
Some people have it and they have it bad.

RIF....I referenced only the price. Both lines. Maybe you are paranoid and read things that are not there?

Tom
01-05-2012, 07:40 AM
NJ - NO!
And neither is the coffee.

Turfway Ed
01-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Yeah it is. But, we're discussing the NY Times.

People spend $2.50 for a cup of coffee. A great newspaper isn't worth that?

Actor
01-05-2012, 09:16 AM
It's an optimization problem.

No matter what your product there's an optimum price that will maximize your profit. Give the product away and you have a large circulation but no profit. Charge to much and you have no circulation and no profit. Somewhere in the middle is the optimum price for maximum profit. Finding that price is a hit or miss, trial and error, gut feeling process. The NYT people apparently believe that a higher price is closer to that optimum that the current price. Time will tell.