PDA

View Full Version : P.A.I.H.L Contest Calculator

iCoder
01-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Hi All,

I was also having difficulty wrapping my head around the scoring for the P.A.I.H.L. Contest. So to help myself out I made a calculator. If you want to use it, it's free to download at this link

http://www.ihandicapraces.com/PAIHL/

Using the Calculator:

Adding your WPS and Alternates:

Click the drop down list for one of the WPS or alternate entries and select the horse number that is your selection for that position. While you're working the calculator will format your forum post in the left hand corner so you can copy and paste it into your forum entry.

Removing Scratches:

Click the little square button on the left to open the scratches editor. Select the horse to be scratched on the left and click the Scratch -----> button to move it to the scratched horses list on the right. If you want to put it back for some reason, select it on the right side and click the <----- Un-Scratch to move it back to the left side. You can just play with it to see what I mean.

Entering results:

Entering WPS results is very similar to entering your picks. Same drop down lists.

Entering Payouts:

Click the little square button on the left of the event WPS results to open the payouts editor. Enter the WPS and Exacta payouts. I included an option to do the divide by 2 for exactas in the event that they are reported as $2 exactas. Just be sure it's set right when you click done. Of course you can edit it at any time.

Export and Import:

I added an Export feature to export the results to a comma delimited text file. If you save your files with a .csv extension you should be able to load them right into Excel or Open Office calc.

The import feature allows you to recall an event card. There is an option to only load the scratches and results so your selections are preserved. That way a participant can send you their completed file and you can calculate using the results and scratches they've entered previously.

The calculator keeps track of your work as you go, so Import/Export is optional. No need to save, it's done automatically when you exit the program.

Clearing the Calculator:

To start a new event card press the Clear button to set everything to the defaults. This zeros out the payout so that as you enter results during the day you can click the calculate button and get a correct answer. If you do not clear, even though you've entered your new selections, the payouts for the entire card will still be affecting the results.

Installing:

Download the zip file from the link above. Sorry it's a little large, about 80Meg. I wrote it in LabVIEW a programming language for scientists and engineers. The installers are large because of a runtime engine that is included and will be installed on your computer. It's completely free and comes with the obligatory license agreement you must agree too.

Unzip the file in a directory of your choosing and run the setup file. After, you should have a desktop icon and one in your program files menu.

I compiled it to run on Windows XP or later so most forum members should be able to use it. It won't install on MAC or Linux.

I tested the calculator with the Event 8 corrected results and got the same answers.

It should be good for tracking day to day WPS/Exacta handicapping as well. So hopefully you find it useful.

Let me know if you have questions or just want me to leave you alone. :)

Jay Trotter
01-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks iCoder. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. :ThmbUp:

cdax
01-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Thanks iCoder,

Neat little program but my totals don't match up with Jay's. I hope yours are correct 'cuz that would put us in first place (for the exhibition).

Team 29 pens pens rdss.

I exported the data.
Chris

iCoder
01-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Thanks I'll look into it.

iCoder
01-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Chris,

I just did it all by hand and came up with $713.60. Is that what you're getting? I also loaded your export file and calculated. Got the same number. I then imported my file, "scratches and results only" checked. Calculated, same answer. I think it may be the weighted exacta in event 5. Here's how I interpreted and implemented the scoring.

The way the scoring reads for a weighted exacta:

Team would receive (4x) $3.00 payouts for 3-7 Exacta ($12.00)
and (2x) $3.00 payouts for 7-3 Exacta ($6.00) (Total = $18.00)

in your case it was 4 4 8 with a result of 4 8 9 (awesome pick by the way seeing that your first alternate was the 9) you should receive 15x the $1 payout of $16.80 equalling $252.00. 12x for 12 $1 exacta tickets and 1 $3 box tickets. Is this not correct? If not I'll fix it and post an update.

Actually I think the scoring rule has a typo for the exacta box unless it's just for contest purposes because you can't cash both of the exacta box tickets. Only one. So (1x) $3.00 payouts. Regardless you are getting the big payout for the weighted exacta.

I think that's the problem. I didn't notice, did anyone else hit a weighted exacta? If they have the same issue it would confirm it.

When I posted earlier that I checked the output and it matched the corrected results I should have clarified that it was a spot check.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

cdax
01-03-2012, 10:15 AM
That was my initial mistake also. Reading the rules, I took it to mean that the exactas are boxed, but not for the weighted.

I do receive 12 times the 4-8, but nothing for the 8-4 (this is not boxed and did not come in this way).

I was confused initially until Jay straightened me out.

My official total should be $663.20. The exacta payout for that event should come to $201.60.

Chris

iCoder
01-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Ok, I need to clarify so I can make the change.

What I'm hearing is that if you pick it in order 4-4-8 with results of 4-8 you get the 12x. if you pick it 4-4-8 with results of 8-4 you get the box portion. Does the box pay 2x $3 exacta payout then?

Is this correct?

Jay Trotter
01-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Ok, I need to clarify so I can make the change.

What I'm hearing is that if you pick it in order 4-4-8 with results of 4-8 you get the 12x. if you pick it 4-4-8 with results of 8-4 you get the box portion. Does the box pay 2x $3 exacta payout then?

Is this correct?

If you bet 1-2-3 you get 1 x $3.00 ticket each combo ($18.00 Box)
If you bet 1-1-2 you get 4 x $3.00 ticket (1-2) and 2 x $3.00 ticket (2-1) ($18.00 Box)

cdax
01-03-2012, 05:11 PM
$2 exacta = 33.60 x 1.5 (to make $3) = $50.40

$50.40 x 4 = $201.60
$50.40 x 2 = 100.80

Total for exacta = 302.40

If that's what I should have then my initial calcs were right and I am now short $100.80.

I guess I'm still confused. Go with what Jay says, he's the man. Your software just may be correct and I will use it to check our teams totals.

Thanks to everyone checking in on this.

Chris :bang:

Jay Trotter
01-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Go with what Jay says, he's the man.
Chris :bang:
That's what my wife used to say........................20 years ago!!! :lol:
Now she feeds me tapioca pudding and pats my head!

iCoder
01-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Hello All,

I posted an update to the calculator to fix the weighted exacta calculation. If you have not yet installed the calculator please download the full installer for v1.1 - PAIHL Calculator 2012 v1.1.zip. If you already have the calculator installed you can download a much smaller patch to the exe - PAIHL Calculator 2012 Executable Patch to v1.1.zip. To install the patch, unzip the file and copy it to your original installation directory. If you installed in the default directory it should be c:\P.A.I.H.L 2012 Calculator on your root drive.

The update is located on our website at the same location as the original post.

Let me know if there are any other issues.

cdax
01-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks Jeff

Red Knave
01-04-2012, 11:11 AM
$2 exacta = 33.60 x 1.5 (to make $3) = $50.40

$50.40 x 4 = $201.60
$50.40 x 2 = 100.80

You didn't have this exacta.
These are not boxes they are straight bets. $12 one way and $6 the other.

iCoder
01-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Thanks Jeff

You are very welcome.

Rock on P.A.I.H.L Challenge!

cdax
01-04-2012, 09:14 PM
That was my initial mistake also. Reading the rules, I took it to mean that the exactas are boxed, but not for the weighted.

I do receive 12 times the 4-8, but nothing for the 8-4 (this is not boxed and did not come in this way).

I was confused initially until Jay straightened me out.

My official total should be $663.20. The exacta payout for that event should come to $201.60.

Chris

Got it Red,

Initially I was correct.

iCoder
01-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Sorry for causing all of the confusion. The new update should have it right.

TBred17Roan
01-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Thanks iCoder....your program is great and much appreciated.

iCoder
01-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks iCoder....your program is great and much appreciated.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

mudcat
01-14-2012, 06:58 PM
I downloaded it but when it comes up on my screen the win place show are on top of the other stuff, like there isn't enough room for it .all the dropdown say scratch, can't get to the box to put the horses in.
any suggestions?

iCoder
01-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Hi mudcat,

That's an interesting problem. Did you install the latest installer or just the executable patch?

Would it be possible to post a screenshot? Also some info on your computer,

Windows version, memory, display card etc.

You could try copying the file I have attached to the installation directory. It's my config file. It's not complete for today but some of the info is entered. This is a low level config file not the import/export csv version.

Possibly one of the edit buttons is depressed. If you can't get the WPS edit box out of the way you may need to restart. Or close the program with "Task Manager".

If you can click on the calculator buttons I would suggest restarting after clicking on the "Clear Values" button.

If that doesn't work, uninstall and use the full install of the latest version PAIHL Calculator 2012 v1.1.zip.

Hope this helps. Keep me informed.

Thanks,
iCoder

mudcat
01-14-2012, 07:37 PM
I went in and adjusted my display on the screen and that corrected the problem. thanks i'm really going to love this, thanks for putting this on here

iCoder
01-14-2012, 08:01 PM
I went in and adjusted my display on the screen and that corrected the problem. thanks i'm really going to love this, thanks for putting this on here

No problem, glad you got it to work. I am enjoying it as well. Wish we were doing better in the contest but our day will come.

I'm working on some more contest code. I will leverage some of that and add the ability to the calculator to retrive the scratches and results with a single click for each. I'll try to release that version later this week or, if I'm really lucky, tomorrow.

Good luck at the Track!
iCoder