PDA

View Full Version : Miserable failure

ceejay
12-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Purely for amusement.....

Go to google, type in "miserable failure" and click "I'm feeling lucky"

PaceAdvantage
12-12-2003, 12:12 PM
You don't even need to hit the "I'm feeling lucky" optiont....just type in miserable failure and the White House website with a biography of GWB is first in the resultant link list. How interesting.....

Makes me want to go and find a more politically NEUTRAL search engine....

You can't go ANYWHERE these days to escape this petty little political BS....

BillW
12-12-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
You don't even need to hit the "I'm feeling lucky" optiont....just type in miserable failure and the White House website with a biography of GWB is first in the resultant link list. How interesting.....

Makes me want to go and find a more politically NEUTRAL search engine....

You can't go ANYWHERE these days to escape this petty little political BS....

PA,

I think the function of the "I'm feeling Lucky" button is to take you directly to the top item rather than presenting the list of hits.

Bill

BillW
12-12-2003, 01:12 PM
PA,

On the search issue, pages are ranked by views and the pages they are viewed from. Since "Miserable failure" seems to be a DNC campaign slogan and this site seems to be linked from a lot of DNC sites and viewed a lot, it is entirely feasable that this is an honest (as far as Google is concerned) ranking. Possibly the DNC is paying people to sit at a computer and constantly click on this site to boost the ranking.

Google tries to avoid bogus ranking, by taking into account the credibility of the linking site, but their system is not perfect. Legitimate sites can be used to fake the system.

Google, in my experience has appeared fairly honest. Do a search on "Google ranking" and you can read a little about the process.

Bill

JustRalph
12-12-2003, 04:43 PM
A few years back, I wonder where " Blow Job! " would have linked you too........... or maybe

Perjury?
stained dress?
impreachment?

it is all relative.....................

hurrikane
01-15-2004, 03:22 PM
If you go to the link for the newday article you can see it was a 'google bomb' and not google doing the rating.

VetScratch
01-15-2004, 04:08 PM
If you don't accept the notion that we are just one fish in the global ocean, search Google with "misérable échec" and you also get Bush links. Supposedly works in many languages!

The French language explanation of this Google Bombing incident, tracing back to David Velleman at University of Michigan, is at: http://actu.abondance.com/2003-50/miserable-failure.html

Other explanations for this phenomenom have suggested that Velleman is actually a White House poltical operative who has spoofed everyone... the idea is to take Bush criticism to it's peak early in the 2004 campaign year... then ride the backlash pure-pity vote to re-election. :) :) :) :)