PDA

View Full Version : Getting picture from computer to big screen tv?

Goofyscott
12-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Anybody know how to get video from my computer to my big screen tv? Apprecciate any responses, thanks

bigmack
12-28-2011, 07:28 PM
What model is the TV and do you have HDMI out of your computer?

Zydeco
12-28-2011, 08:25 PM
hdmi out from computer to hdmi input on tv works great for me.

Goofyscott
12-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Great, thanks I will try that.

hdmi out from computer to hdmi input on tv works great for me.

PaceAdvantage
12-28-2011, 11:43 PM
I bought one of these a few years ago (older model) and absolutely love it:

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=catalog&mainItemId=45

It's not all that easy to get (ships from Japan), but it plays on your TV almost any kind of video file you can conjure up on your PC.

OverlayHunter
02-03-2012, 09:29 AM
I've got a new Panasonic 32" LCD (I think) TV and a Sony laptop that's a few months old, both with HDMI.

When used for TV, the Panasonic screen is very bright. The Sony laptop screen is also very bright.

When I play a DVD movie (haven't tried BluRay yet) using the Sony laptop, the Sony screen is bright but the TV screen (connected HDMI to HDMI) is significantly dimmed. I'd like to get the same brightness on the TV for movies as I get for TV shows.

Based on another thread in this Computers sub-forum, I've at last temporarily ruled out the HDMI cable as the source of the problem.

The laptop has function keys to brighten and dim the laptop screen. It also has function keys to increase and decrease sound volume. The computer sound volume keys affect the TV volume but the computer brightness/dimness function keys do not change the TV brightness.

I've looked for a setting in the Control Panel but nothing strikes a chord (but I really don't know what I'm looking for). I'm hoping there is some switch or (rheostat-like) control somewhere in the computer that will fix this problem.

I think there's a way to totally turn off the laptop screen but I don't know if that will help and I'm afraid to try it because if I can't get it back on quickly I'm screwed - I need the laptop for business. So I don't know if turning off the computer screen will make a difference.

Any ideas?

DJofSD
02-03-2012, 09:46 AM
If the problem is the TV is not as bright when using the Sony laptop as the source then likely there is a problem with the Panasonic TV. See if there is a setting on the TV which will allow you to adjust the brightness for either the display for all inputs, or, for each different input.

How are you providing a signal to the TV for your other sources like cable TV or DVR or DVD/BR player? Is everything connected directly to the TV via different inputs or are you feeding everything through an A/V unit first?

bigmack
02-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Any ideas?
Go into your TV’s image settings and look for any settings which are intended to “Enhance” the picture, and turn them off.

Any adjustment should be with the TV, not the computer.

Dave Schwartz
02-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Occam's Razor application, here.

To help rule out the HDMI cable, switch the two inputs on the TV. If you still get the problem on the new input, it is either the cable, laptop or software.

If you get the problem on the old input, then you know it is the input jack on the tv.

Pace Cap'n
02-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Select the proper picture mode on your TV.

With the Panasonic TV remote...

menu > picture > advanced > picture mode

You can select from the choices presented or customize your own.

ps: "advanced" is waaayyy down to the bottom of the screen.

OverlayHunter
02-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks for all the ideas. Lots to try. I'll report back after trying them.