PDA

View Full Version : Good ObamaCare Article

Dave Schwartz
12-28-2011, 06:38 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-27/job-creation-is-price-for-new-u-s-health-law-commentary-by-andrew-puzder.html

Job Creation Is Price for New U.S. Health Law

I am not an expert on health-care policy, but I do know something about job creation. So when a House Oversight and Government Reform subcommittee asked me to testify about the effect on employers of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, sometimes known as Obamacare, I thought I could offer some insights.

Our company, CKE Restaurants Inc., employs about 21,000 people (our franchisees employ 49,000 more) in Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s restaurants. For months, we have been working with Mercer Health & Benefits LLC, our health-care consultant, to identify Obamacare’s potential financial impact on CKE. Mercer estimated that when the law is fully implemented our health-care costs will increase about $18 million a year. That would put our total health-care costs at $29.8 million, a 150 percent increase from the roughly $12 million we spent last year.

To reduce the financial impact of Obamacare, many businesses, including ours, will have to consider increasing the number of part-time employees (those who work less than 30 hours a week as defined under the health-care law) and reducing the number of full-time employees. So, some individuals seeking full-time work will need to find two jobs.

More at the link...

TJDave
12-28-2011, 07:08 PM
some individuals seeking full-time work will need to find two jobs.

Anyone working full time at Burger King would need a second job just to pay the rent.

The U.S. has become the minimum wage, fast-food-employing pig sty capital of the world.

bigmack
12-28-2011, 07:21 PM
The U.S. has become the minimum wage, fast-food-employing pig sty capital of the world.
If we're the capital of Pigsty what does that make MexEco?

Dave Schwartz
12-28-2011, 07:21 PM
I totally agree but, nevertheless the article is right: this will make things harder rather than easier on such people as work there.

JustRalph
12-28-2011, 08:32 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89709

Related

chickenhead
12-28-2011, 11:43 PM
without any sort of judgement, just curious about what it worked out to -- 21,000 employees, $18 million increase in costs is $0.40c per hour per employee, assuming they work 40 hours. At minimum wage, equivalent to a 5% across the board pay raise.

TJDave
12-29-2011, 01:49 AM
If we're the capital of Pigsty what does that make MexEco?

It makes us first cousins... when we used to be distant relatives.

The idea that Carl's Jr. would even call what they offer JOBS is insulting. When I was a teenager we flipped hamburgers for gas or to save for college.

WTF has this country become?

PaceAdvantage
12-29-2011, 01:55 AM
WTF has this country become?More liberal by the hour...

Tom
12-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Two sides of the coin - minimum wage jobs vs minimum skills jobs.
Some people flipping burgers are being all they can be.

If you want to bemoan the loss of real jobs here, talk to Obama. He hardly cause most of them, but he has failed to address the issue. No excuses for that.

boxcar
12-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Two sides of the coin - minimum wage jobs vs minimum skills jobs.
Some people flipping burgers are being all they can be.

If you want to bemoan the loss of real jobs here, talk to Obama. He hardly cause most of them, but he has failed to address the issue. No excuses for that.

And what about bemoaning the lack of creation of real jobs like laying pipeline?

Boxcar

LottaKash
12-29-2011, 01:10 PM
WTF has this country become?

Or where we are headed ?.....Not a good place, I fear....

For some tho, they honestly believe that all is OK and will get better...Funny about those thinkers, thinking that way...I wonder why about that, often these days...

best,

TJDave
12-29-2011, 01:42 PM
More liberal by the hour...

Germany is a very liberal country and is doing pretty well. The difference? Germany doesn't allow its multinational corporations to run roughshod over its own citizens. The U.S. cares more for the standard of living of the Chinese or whomever than our own citizens.

General Electric builds jet engines in Brazil... In BRAZIL. WTF?