PDA

View Full Version : Stocking stuffer...

DJofSD
12-11-2003, 10:20 PM
Seabiscuit on DVD to be released 12/16/2003.

DJofSD

BillW
12-11-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by DJofSD
Seabiscuit on DVD to be released 12/16/2003.

DJofSD

Saw that today and forgot to mention it. Had a big display (really stood out) at the front door at the local Walmart.

Bill

so.cal.fan
12-11-2003, 10:37 PM
Cool, thanks for the reminder.
Not only was most of this movie filmed near my home.....Santa Anita and Fairplex Park, but several friends were extras in it!
I am getting the DVD for sure.
Great idea for a stocking stuffer.

Zaf
12-11-2003, 10:55 PM
Can't wait to see it again !

ZAFONIC

superfecta
12-13-2003, 03:04 AM
Saw on Amazon there are more than two versions,besides Widescreen and Standard version ,there is a Deluxe edition that has more on the story and the book on an additional disc.But it is twice the price.I am having a Seabiscuit Party that following weekend,a friend is loaning me his projector,so I can screen it almost the same as in a theatre.

DJofSD
12-16-2003, 06:09 PM
Just purchased the deluxe edition. I plan on watching it this evening.

I'll post back with info about the extra material for those that might want to know if the extra $'s are warrented.

DJofSD

Tom
12-16-2003, 08:27 PM
With all the extra stuff they are putting on DVDs nowadays, you certainly get your money's worth.
I am going to buy the trilogy set of Lord of the Rings soon - I am 52 now and want to get it all in before my time is up <G>

Seabiscuit, though, is going to be my Christmas present to me this year..that an the new Equisim ROI V4....out just in time for some time off.
Boy, I am good to me.:D

superfecta
12-17-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Tom
With all the extra stuff they are putting on DVDs nowadays, you certainly get your money's worth.
I am going to buy the trilogy set of Lord of the Rings soon - I am 52 now and want to get it all in before my time is up <G>

Seabiscuit, though, is going to be my Christmas present to me this year..that an the new Equisim ROI V4....out just in time for some time off.
Boy, I am good to me.:D Dang Tom if you get that stuff for Christmas,you might get lucky with yourself that night!

DJofSD
12-17-2003, 11:15 AM
So far I've only viewed the 1st DVD disc. Hopefully I'll be able to watch the 2nd in the next few days.

The directors commentary of the movie was good to excellent. One thing about the commentary I've not experienced before was spots where they actually paused the movie while some detailed discussion took place. In the interim various still photos were shown as a slide show. There were about 5 or 6 times in the movie they did this.

What interested me was slowly viewing the credits at the end of the movie. Along with Corey and Kenny Black there were a number of other jockies that participated. Chris McCarron not only had some camio (sp?) seens but was the race co ordinator. His wife Judy also had a behind the scenes roll in the making of the movie.

More soon.

DJofSD

December 17, 2003 celebrating 100 years of powered flight.

DJofSD
12-19-2003, 12:55 AM
Having viewed the additonal material on the 2nd DVD, I'd say it was worth the additional bucks.

What I found most worthwhile was the A & E Extra, "The True Story of Seabiscuit." In it there are some very surprising statements, history and connections I was not aware of previously.

It contains the footage of the match race. Boy, oh boy, even an average race caller now is better than whomever it was that called that contest!

Minor complaint: some of the material is recycled a number of times between various selections of the bonus material.

On a slightly different note, I heard on the radio this AM that 'Biscuit has been nominated for Best Picture for the Golden Globe Awards.

Merry Christmas to all!

DJofSD

P. S. I'm considering driving to Arcadia for opening day. Any one willing to guarentee there won't be any rain?