PDA

View Full Version : Question about track announcer saftey

toussaud
12-27-2011, 09:33 AM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/richard-grunder-back-in-announcer-s-booth-at-tampa-bay/

Now, this may seem like an odd question, hell it probably is but I just have to ask.

John Dooley had this exact same before the Arlington Park meet last year.

This is, at least I don't think it is, a very common surgery. I don't know too many people that have detached retinas. Is it something about being a track announcer that makes this more commonplace?

DJofSD
12-27-2011, 09:44 AM
As in an occupational risk? I don't think so. There are probably some common factors between the two announcers that would explain the shared ailment.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinal_detachment

LottaKash
12-27-2011, 10:50 AM
As in an occupational risk? I don't think so. There are probably some common factors between the two announcers that would explain the shared ailment.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinal_detachment

From that same above thread:

......"ophthalmologists generally advise patients with high degrees of myopia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myopia#Degree) to try to avoid exposure to activities that have the potential for trauma, increase pressure on or within the eye itself, or include rapid acceleration and deceleration."

......"In this study, obesity also appeared to increase the risk of retinal detachment."

Imo, while using binioculars many times thruout my life, I have often had the experience of feeling some pressure on the eyeball itself, while doing so....Since these guys have that experience on an ongoing basis thruout their daily viewing and calling careers, it suggests to me at least, that this/these, may have played a role or some sort, pertaining to their predicaments... What with the constant banging up to the viewing pieces on and off thruout the racing day, it wouldn't surprise me a bit....I wonder if other racecallers share some of the same complaints in their chosen field....Never thought about it before....

best,

toussaud
12-27-2011, 11:01 AM
From that same above thread:

......"ophthalmologists generally advise patients with high degrees of myopia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myopia#Degree) to try to avoid exposure to activities that have the potential for trauma, increase pressure on or within the eye itself, or include rapid acceleration and deceleration."

......"In this study, obesity also appeared to increase the risk of retinal detachment."

Imo, while using binioculars many times thruout my life, I have often had the experience of feeling some pressure on the eyeball itself, while doing so....Since these guys have that experience on an ongoing basis thruout their daily viewing and calling careers, it suggests to me at least, that this/these, may have played a role or some sort, pertaining to their predicaments... What with the constant banging up to the viewing pieces on and off thruout the racing day, it wouldn't surprise me a bit....I wonder if other racecallers share some of the same complaints in their chosen field....Never thought about it before....

best,

very interesting.

I don't' think either Grunder or Dooley are what you would classify as obese.

craigbraddick
12-27-2011, 11:06 AM
I think its coincidence and nothing else.

Despite using some very good quality Zeiss binoculars, I found this year for the first time, it was taking half a second or so every time I looked through them for my eyes to fully focus on the picture. Once they did, it was crystal clear but I think that is just a factor in getting old!!

Craig

DJofSD
12-27-2011, 11:15 AM
If they are pressing the eye piece of the binoculars up against their eyes to the point it causes an increase in pressure in the eye ball then they're doing it wrong.

Vic, how do you use your field glasses?

Greyfox
12-27-2011, 11:20 AM

Vic? He undoubedly uses them for watching the fine array of Hollywood "birds" (and not the ones in trees.);)

v j stauffer
12-27-2011, 01:33 PM
I use glasses called Nikon Superior E. 12 x 50. They are very light which allows me to hold them while making the call. Briefly tried Zeiss 15 x 60 too powerful and therefore jumpy to hold. Tried mounting them on a stand and could never get used to that.

I love my Superior E's. Allows in alot of light. The field is plenty wide enough. Rubber cushion keeps my eyes well away from the lens. Heard they might consider discontinuing making them serveral years back. Bought 4 pairs. Still using 2nd set now.

LottaKash
12-27-2011, 02:58 PM
I think its coincidence and nothing else.

Despite using some very good quality Zeiss binoculars, I found this year for the first time, it was taking half a second or so every time I looked through them for my eyes to fully focus on the picture. Once they did, it was crystal clear but I think that is just a factor in getting old!!

Craig

Craig, it is so true, as we age, the re-focusing from one depth of field/focus to another, be it short or longer, takes a little more longer than when we were younger.....

In this regard I have looked to a supplement that was believed to enhance the "transition time", by shortening it, when switching from one depth of field to another....I can tell you how it is with me, and this supplement....It works well for me....I cherish good photography, graphics, and precision optics, so I must say that, this supplement has greatly enhanced my vision in this way...I haven't lost a step in "transition time"...

The product is called "Astaxanthin" (pronounced astazanthin)...The best souce and quality of it can be purchased from a company called Nutrex Hawaii, and the trademark for their form of it and their processing, is named "Bio-Astin"..... There is another grower located in Israel, but the name at the moment escapes me, that is also of the "highest quality" (not all astaxanthins are created and proceessed equally)

It is an algae that occurs naturally in nature...It is what gives many sea and land animals their pink color and great power, ie; Salmon, Flamingoes, Shrimp....It is also kinown for it's skin protection from the sun, and for it's great power in healing after injury, as well as maintaining good metabolic equilibrium to the body.....Also when I take an additional amount later in the day, it gives me the alertness and staying power that I need for my perpetual "night-racing" soires'....

The "4mg" size does nicely for my age (67), but if you are younger the "10-mg" is better....It is a food, not a drug, so overdosing is not an issue...Amazing stuff tho, really....:ThmbUp: ...Still, be patient, it takes about a week for the it's power to be released, but once it floods the body, you will see.....In fact, it is one of the only types of beneficial "anti-oxidants" that can cross the blood barrier of both the "EYE and BRAIN"....It has a higher Orac-Value than Vitamin-E.....

I believe that all "racecallers" should have this on their short list of good things to do for themselves...

Hey, the way I see it, (no pun intended), calling and charting of a race, is just like driving a car, so in that regard, .........
" seeing is everything"....

best,
-----------------------------------------------------

I buy mine from this purveyor....

http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ntk=products&ss=1&Ntt=astaxanthin

best,

Ocala Mike
12-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Does that astaxanthin have any effect on night vision problems? I am 70 years old, and still need to drive at night; I have noticed a slight, but perceptible, decrease in my night vision lately.

Ocala Mike

thaskalos
12-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Who is track announcer saftey?

I never heard of him...

LottaKash
12-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Does that astaxanthin have any effect on night vision problems? I am 70 years old, and still need to drive at night; I have noticed a slight, but perceptible, decrease in my night vision lately.

Ocala Mike

Mike, of course all things don't necessarily work as well or equally for all people, so I can only relate my own experience supplementing with Astaxanthin.....

It is well known that, as we age, our once good or at least adequate "night vision" seems to go downhill a little or even quite a lot.....For me tho, having to do a lot of night driving for many years, I had always seemed to be blessed with a good deal of tolerance to the night-side of driving....But later on, when I didn't or hadn't had to do it all that much for a good while, I too experienced the downhill in that regard.....All I can say is, nowadays, since on the Astaxanthin regimen, even tho I don't drive all "that" much at nite as in the past, I just don't seem to have the problems or disdain for night driving that seemed to be worsening with the aging process before Astaxanthin.....Will it work for others, who knows ?....For me tho, I feel that it has helped in that regard....

best,

Ocala Mike
12-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks, Johnny; I'm going to look into it.

Ocala Mike

Cardus
12-28-2011, 02:09 PM
If they are pressing the eye piece of the binoculars up against their eyes to the point it causes an increase in pressure in the eye ball then they're doing it wrong.

This was a softball toss on which I will pass.

Golf and Horses
12-29-2011, 11:47 PM
I have similar issues to the "Colonel"

http://images.piccsy.com/cache/images/rip-harry-morgan-aka-colonel-sherman-potter-187047-375-281.jpg

v j stauffer
12-30-2011, 02:45 AM
This was a softball toss on which I will pass.

Go ahead Card. No one would blame you. Too easy!