PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita: Anyone else notice the final times (so far)?

Bruiser1
12-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Three races in the books, all at very fast times. Just watched 2 year old maidens run 3/4 in 1:08:02. If the clock is accurate, either SA has carded a bunch of super horses or the track is like a freeway.

andymays
12-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Three races in the books, all at very fast times. Just watched 2 year old maidens run 3/4 in 1:08:02. If the clock is accurate, either SA has carded a bunch of super horses or the track is like a freeway.

It's faaasstttt. It looks like you can close on it. It usually develops a bias after a good rain. Horse that get to the rail in the stretch have an edge when that happens. Many can get passed and re-rally to win. I'd be happy if it stays like this as long as it doesn't cause a bunch of injuries.

pandy
12-26-2011, 10:53 PM
I agree that if there isn't an above average amount of injuries the fast times will be okay. However, generally speaking I've always felt that fewer horses seem to break down over the the slower surfaces (Aqueduct inner track being a good example) than the very fast surfaces.

I know that in Harness Racing the races are much faster in the steel sulkies they use now (as opposed to the wood sulkies which were about 7 seconds slower) and owners and trainers complain about horses being sore, going lame more often.

Time will tell. Last winter the Santa Anita track was unsafe, in my opinion.

redshift1
12-26-2011, 11:48 PM

Blazing, may see a world record equate to a 80 Beyer.