PDA

View Full Version : Where is announcer Gus Johnson???

ponyplayerdotca
12-25-2011, 03:18 PM
At the beginning of the NFL season, Gus Johnson announced that he had left CBS for FOX. He did his first game for FOX earlier this season in Kansas City when Minnesota came to town.

Since then, however, he has not appeared on any more FOX NFL broadcasts.

Why? Wasn't his big move supposed to allow him MORE opportunity?

He was rapidly becoming very notable for his excited calls (sometimes too excited calls) on NFL games on CBS.

Anyway, if anyone knows what happened or why he hasn't been used by FOX this season, etc., please post any information. I appreciate it. Cheers.

Striker
12-26-2011, 01:04 AM
At the beginning of the NFL season, Gus Johnson announced that he had left CBS for FOX. He did his first game for FOX earlier this season in Kansas City when Minnesota came to town.

Since then, however, he has not appeared on any more FOX NFL broadcasts.

Why? Wasn't his big move supposed to allow him MORE opportunity?

He was rapidly becoming very notable for his excited calls (sometimes too excited calls) on NFL games on CBS.

Anyway, if anyone knows what happened or why he hasn't been used by FOX this season, etc., please post any information. I appreciate it. Cheers.
His main duty from what I read about him joining Fox was as the lead play by play caller for the saturday spotlight game for college football on FX. I know he is calling the Cotton Bowl. He also still does some mens bball on the Big Ten network. He called both the Big 10 and Pac 12 championship football games on Fox. Gus Johnson and Charles Davis are FOX's #1 College broadcast team but are listed as the #8 team for FOX's NFL announcing teams. They are considered to be part-time and only slotted for a few select NFL games.

sandpit
12-26-2011, 12:10 PM
He was calling the Patriots-Dolphins game on my son's NFL Madden 12 this morning :D

slew101
12-26-2011, 01:00 PM
FOX had said he would do NFL games in December once the college regular season ended, but I guess they changed their mind. Not sure if it's an issue, but they had to move Davis to work with Ron Pitts after Jim Mora took the UCLA job.

I watch as much college football as anyone, and I haven't heard Gus Johnson once this season. Just must be the games he's doing didn't interest me.

rastajenk
12-26-2011, 03:05 PM
One week he did a Nebraska@Wyoming game, so I'd guess your last sentence is pretty accurate.

Fox always got the Big 12 crumbs after ESPN/ABC scarfed up the more important games; it was easy to forget to include them in Saturday night surfing.

cj
12-26-2011, 03:07 PM
My ears don't miss his over dramatic screaming.

ElKabong
12-26-2011, 10:41 PM
He did a few games I saw on F/X. I like his style, myself