PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita: The ability to use mobile access to keep onsite visitors engaged......

andymays
12-25-2011, 10:03 AM
http://www.techi.com/2011/12/as-santa-anita-park-opens-smartphones-take-center-stage-with-the-horses/

Excerpt:

Localizing mobile engagement has been a hot topic for the past couple of years as retail stores and other businesses have attempted to take advantage of the growing use of smartphones and tablets. People are carrying their computers in their pockets now, so it has become important to keep them focused with reasons to use them in a positive way rather than comparison shopping or other activities that can take them away from the store.

Santa Anita Park’s system is designed to make lines shorter, wagering easier, and increase the overall simplicity of the betting process. Rather than leaving the grandstands and waiting in line, the mobile site allows those connected via WiFi to research races and place wagers from their seats.

Other industries are watching closely to see what comes of it. The ability to use mobile access to keep onsite visitors engaged with a retail store or entertainment venue is the “golden challis” that has eluded most. If Santa Anita can get enough of their patrons onto their WiFi rather than 3G or 4G connections, the possibilities are endless.

gm10
12-25-2011, 10:19 AM
http://www.techi.com/2011/12/as-santa-anita-park-opens-smartphones-take-center-stage-with-the-horses/

Excerpt:

Localizing mobile engagement has been a hot topic for the past couple of years as retail stores and other businesses have attempted to take advantage of the growing use of smartphones and tablets. People are carrying their computers in their pockets now, so it has become important to keep them focused with reasons to use them in a positive way rather than comparison shopping or other activities that can take them away from the store.

Santa Anita Park’s system is designed to make lines shorter, wagering easier, and increase the overall simplicity of the betting process. Rather than leaving the grandstands and waiting in line, the mobile site allows those connected via WiFi to research races and place wagers from their seats.

Other industries are watching closely to see what comes of it. The ability to use mobile access to keep onsite visitors engaged with a retail store or entertainment venue is the “golden challis” that has eluded most. If Santa Anita can get enough of their patrons onto their WiFi rather than 3G or 4G connections, the possibilities are endless.

Will this platform be available for in-play betting as well? That would definitely give an edge to people who visit the race track. I know it's one of the main reasons why I spend so many cold winter nights near the Kempton Park winning post :cool: .

andymays
12-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Will this platform be available for in-play betting as well? That would definitely give an edge to people who visit the race track. I know it's one of the main reasons why I spend so many cold winter nights near the Kempton Park winning post :cool: .
I don't know much about it. I know it's a problem for Tracks when someone goes to the Track but bets online. This sounds like it has the potential to be a solution to that problem.

cj
12-25-2011, 10:26 AM
A guy betting with a phone through his ADW getting a rebate isn't going to give a crap about Santa Anita's WiFi which would obviously block ADWs. He is still going to use his 4G connection.

BillW
12-25-2011, 10:43 AM

If this is the United Tote system it is just a WiFi interface to the track's tote system. It does basically the same thing as the machines. Instead of a voucher they give you a plastic card that has an account number and a scratch off PIN. You fund the card via a teller or one of the tote machines then access the tote via the phone's browser.

andymays
12-25-2011, 10:49 AM
A guy betting with a phone through his ADW getting a rebate isn't going to give a crap about Santa Anita's WiFi which would obviously block ADWs. He is still going to use his 4G connection.

They have a rebate program this year. It's something like 6% on WPS and 7% on exotics.

cj
12-25-2011, 11:28 AM
They have a rebate program this year. It's something like 6% on WPS and 7% on exotics.

On SA racing or all racing?

andymays
12-25-2011, 11:44 AM
On SA racing or all racing?

To the best of my knowledge the numbers I quoted are for Santa Anita races but it is my understanding that rebates will be paid for all tracks. I don't know the details because they want to keep it a secret if you can believe that one. :confused:

cj
12-25-2011, 11:46 AM
To the best of my knowledge the numbers I quoted are for Santa Anita races but it is my understanding that rebates will be paid for all tracks. I don't know the details because they want to keep it a secret if you can believe that one. :confused:

It just seems they are playing catch up and it is too late. I don't see many people switching unless the rebates are better.

andymays
12-25-2011, 11:52 AM
It just seems they are playing catch up and it is too late. I don't see many people switching unless the rebates are better.
They had an opportunity to lead and lower the take for everyone and they chose to do what everyone else is doing. The new money pool for the big P5 at Hollywood was over 1.2 million million because of the low takeout and the carryover. The P5 (14% takeout) is a bet that nobody gets a rebate on. You would think they would have noticed that. :bang:

JustRalph
12-25-2011, 01:13 PM
This is a topic that's being discussed in boardrooms and tech departments all over. It's being combined with "way finding " discussions. That's a term I had never heard before the last year or so. If you are going to do something like this setup you have to get it right the first time. Surveys show that you rarely get a second shot. If your customers try it out and it sucks, they rarely try it a second time. This is especially true with older customers who have a hard time integrating technology into their habits.

I have been involved in a few discussions about implementing these personalized systems via phone and tablet in the healthcare environment (hospitals) and the VP's and technology officers are scared to death of choosing the wrong platform and alienating their customers. The average age of the customers is a factor. I would think racing may have some of the same concerns.

Greyfox
12-25-2011, 01:15 PM

So far this thread has drawn out the pessimists, jr excluded.

Let's give Santa Anita credit for at least trying to improve the bettor's lot in some positive way. Good on Santa Anita. :ThmbUp:

andymays
12-25-2011, 01:20 PM
So far this thread has drawn out the pessimists.

Let's give Santa Anita credit for at least trying to improve the bettor's lot in some positive way. Good on Santa Anita. :ThmbUp:
I agree with the article that this strategy has a lot of potential if done right.

Tom
12-25-2011, 04:31 PM
So far this thread has drawn out the pessimists, jr excluded.

Are they? Do they really care about the players, or is it just their bottom line and ways to protect it.

Greyfox
12-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Are they? Do they really care about the players, or is it just their bottom line and ways to protect it.

Another sceptic. Keep up the improvements Santa Anita. :ThmbUp:

cj
12-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Another sceptic. Keep up the improvements Santa Anita. :ThmbUp:

I'm personally not trying to be a skeptic, I'm being realistic. The way to get ahead is to do new, innovative things. This is just doing the same thing we could already do 10 years ago. I'll keep an open mind, but I would guess they are not going to keep anyone from using 4G connections if that is what they already use.

Greyfox
12-25-2011, 09:23 PM
I'm personally not trying to be a skeptic, I'm being realistic. The way to get ahead is to do new, innovative things. This is just doing the same thing we could already do 10 years ago. I'll keep an open mind, but I would guess they are not going to keep anyone from using 4G connections if that is what they already use.

The article said:
" Rather than leaving the grandstands and waiting in line, the mobile site allows those connected via WiFi to research races and place wagers from their seats."

Huh? At what tracks could you do this ten years ago wireless??

dansan
12-25-2011, 09:57 PM
there"s nobody in the grandstands lol

BillW
12-25-2011, 09:59 PM
The article said:
" Rather than leaving the grandstands and waiting in line, the mobile site allows those connected via WiFi to research races and place wagers from their seats."

These guys have been around for at least 10 years:

http://www.eurotech-inc.com/applications-gaming-device-autotote.asp

Greyfox
12-25-2011, 11:14 PM
These guys have been around for at least 10 years:

http://www.eurotech-inc.com/applications-gaming-device-autotote.asp

And what track have you used it at?

BillW
12-25-2011, 11:35 PM
And what track have you used it at?

Sam Houston

Tom
12-25-2011, 11:35 PM
Finger Lakes has had it for along time.

cj
12-25-2011, 11:44 PM
The article said:

Care to retract your huh?

Greyfox
12-26-2011, 12:50 AM
Care to retract your huh?

No. I've never seen anyone use that particular technology and I presume that they are portable so that you could sit in the grandstand seats with one. If so, I was wrong.
I was really wrong if you could actually download racing lines and use them for your handicapping and betting.

andymays
12-26-2011, 07:11 AM
My take is that the technology has been there but nobody has been able to use it to it's full potential. I guess Santa Anita is doing something a little different otherwise the article is pointless. I really don't know much about the subject

Greyfox
12-26-2011, 10:19 AM
My take is that the technology has been there but nobody has been able to use it to it's full potential. I guess Santa Anita is doing something a little different otherwise the article is pointless. I really don't know much about the subject

I don't think that the article is pointless. It looks like Eurotech's Tiny Tim allows you to make a bet via a radio modem signal.
Wifi opens up the entire internet to anyone with a smart phone, tablet, Ipod, lap top and so on. As such you will be able to do so much more with the presence of Wifi such as downloading past performance lines, or going to any site on the net.

andymays
12-26-2011, 10:56 AM
I don't think that the article is pointless. It looks like Eurotech's Tiny Tim allows you to make a bet via a radio modem signal.
Wifi opens up the entire internet to anyone with a smart phone, tablet, Ipod, lap top and so on. As such you will be able to do so much more with the presence of Wifi such as downloading past performance lines, or going to any site on the net.
The jury is still out as to whether or not they will be able to maximize the technology but at least they're trying.