PDA

View Full Version : Mannheim Steamrooler

bigmack
12-24-2011, 11:50 PM
These nerds have GOT to go. Completely indefensible "music." If you've ever found yourself tappin' a toe to their cacophony, hold your head in shame.

Every year they schlep out their routine and every year I wonder when they'll pack it up.

68j6Ceof8QQ

RaceBookJoe
12-25-2011, 12:52 PM
I absolutely flippin' hate them haha. I either call them Mannheim Craproller or Mannheim Steampile. rbj
ps: i do admit to really like Trans Siberian Orchestra though...Christmas with a Heavy Metal twist.

bigmack
12-25-2011, 02:43 PM
i do admit to really like Trans Siberian Orchestra though...Christmas with a Heavy Metal twist.

Uff da. Oozing with hackneyed material.

"Heavy metal" in a Disneyesque type fashion.

AkAhmH40kiM

Greyfox
12-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Great stuff. I "luved" it!

RaceBookJoe
12-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Uff da. Oozing with hackneyed material.

"Heavy metal" in a Disneyesque type fashion.

AkAhmH40kiM

Yeah, you got me on that one..crap. I do like a couple others they do..i guess i should have said between them and 'steampile'..i like TSO better haha rbj PS: give me Nat King Cole over either every time :)

JustRalph
12-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Remember, these are some of the people that brought you the Rubber Duck and the Convoy song............

ArlJim78
12-25-2011, 03:29 PM
I like some of the Mannheim Steamroller songs I've heard.
Not ashamed about it either.

TJDave
12-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Remember, these are some of the people that brought you the Rubber Duck and the Convoy song............

I have a friend who is a musical director for one of the three Mannheim Steamroller companies. They perform barely 2 months out of the year and he makes large money. Somebody must like this crap. ;)

JustRalph
12-25-2011, 08:27 PM
I didn't say I didn't like it. I have some of it in my Xmas playlist somewhere. Although I don't remember playing any of it this year. Rush Limbaugh seems to promote them every year on his program. At least he did in past years. I don't get to listen to Rush anymore.

They certainly have cornered the market on the style. You have to admit it is a little different. Kind of a cross between electronic euro and standard orchestra stuff. It is appropriate for Xmas I guess.

I have an old friend who used to work for BMI or maybe ASCAP, I can't remember, but he said some of those who have holiday hits could live off the royalties they collect every year. He used to specifically mention songs like "monster mash" that made money every year. I guess some of those Xmas songs would be even bigger.

Grits
12-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Mack, I don't care for the Electric Light Orchestra done tunes. I skip those. However, Mannheim, since the early eighties, has probably sold more Christmas music than any one, soloist or group, in the music business.

So, get real, sweetie, not all of its garbage to everyone. What is it you don't get about the fact that music is different things to different people? And, at different times, even. Everyone's taste is different.

Because Mack doesn't like it, obviously, it or who recorded it sucks? Yeah, when pigs fly. It doesn't work this way, bud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTSkS0Abas4&feature=related

This one's beautiful. Its sound exemplifies the song's title beautifully, particularly from about the 4 minute mark to its end when one can feel the cold night on one's face.

Here's another of Mannheim's recordings. Familiar with this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dJ6H0DEV08

A friend of mine sings this one almost every Christmas, she has an incredible soprano voice. Controlled to perfection when holding notes, it soars effortlessly when hitting the highest of her range. She's the choir's lead soprano. When the other choir members join her in the chorus, the result is a few moments when everyone's thoughts are suspended, every single thing, aside from the voices and the music. All one hears is the beauty of her gift and the music. Her mother had the same soprano voice as Lee does. I'd call this good genes.

This is what music is meant to be. It all moves people in different ways.:)

RichieP
12-26-2011, 01:00 PM
ps: i do admit to really like Trans Siberian Orchestra though...Christmas with a Heavy Metal twist.

The lead guitarist has played at my block party the last 2 years, jamming with some other local musicians. He is amazing and a remarkably down to earth and mellow guy to boot! He said who has it better than he does, gets to travel the world, party, play music and meet chicks :) :)

Grits
12-26-2011, 02:09 PM
The lead guitarist has played at my block party the last 2 years, jamming with some other local musicians. He is amazing and a remarkably down to earth and mellow guy to boot! He said who has it better than he does, gets to travel the world, party, play music and meet chicks :) :)

And then has time to hang out with his fine neighbors, too. Sounds like a great guy!

bigmack
12-26-2011, 09:04 PM
This is what music is meant to be. It all moves people in different ways.:)
Crud. You mean I have to maintain an open enough mind to accept people lacking enough taste to like this hack?

http://www.lauraforever.com/mbonthenet/images/mboltlg.jpg

Just when I thought my opinion meant something in this crazy mixed-up woild.

Grits
12-26-2011, 10:12 PM
BigMack wrote:Crud. You mean I have to maintain an open enough mind to accept people lacking enough taste to like this hack?

If you keep this up, I'm not gonna be your partnerette ever again. I mean it! This was unkind, dammit it all.

Now that you've upset me. I'm gonna tell you my secret, you and everybody here--beside we're all real close like family, ya know.

When you started the thread on "percentages of those choosing not to wed". My wheels were turning . . . . I was thinking 'bout your post. I felt like we could make history, we could buck the current trend. I could finally get up the nerve to ask you to marry me--little bitty, gentle, soft spoken Grits. :lol: ;) :lol:

We could've had a fine, long distance, "right coast--left coast" relationship. We could've even tied the knot somewhere above Chicago or Detroit. (First class, of course.) Age isn't a factor, with my being a little bit older than you, you could still make the learning curve. I have patience, and faith in you.

Plus, we could've had a rock solid prenup.

I don't want'cha house, yo furniture, yo cars, yo life insurance, or any of yo other assets. I've got all that. And I jus' know you don't want me to share any of it with you, particularly my jewelry. I figured this was fair and reasonable, and would make a good, legally binding agreement. This along with I don't do implants and other cosmetic surgery like so much of what's in SoCal.

But NOW, you've gone and messed up everything. You brought up Bolton, again, and hurt my feelings. Sensitive as I am.

I don't want chew no mo'.:faint:

bigmack
12-26-2011, 11:15 PM
If you keep this up, I'm not gonna be your partnerette ever again. I mean it! This was unkind, dammit it all.
You know I gots to have a little poke at Mr. Boulton'.

Speakin' o' which. My ruse about being a devout, womanizing, bachelor was blown to smithereens via some hooligan. Damn, dahoos, outed me.

Grits
12-26-2011, 11:35 PM
You've been edited, now. Be nice. ;)

Me, I've been lying to you. I better be nicer, too.:lol:

rastajenk
12-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Back to the matter at hand, Mack is right. Prepackaged, overproduced commodity in support of a business model, the Christmas music analogy to pancakes in a can.http://bacontoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/photo3.jpg

My spouse unit likes that so-called music. That's all I need to know that it ain't no good. :blush:

Mike at A+
12-27-2011, 11:02 AM
For the past few years, this has been my "go to" song to kick off the Christmas season. It's called "Don't Need A Reindeer" from the album "December" by the Moody Blues.

http://youtu.be/X5AD4Dby51Y