PDA

View Full Version : Free Thorograph 12/26 to 12/31

tbwinner
12-20-2011, 11:12 AM
All data from TG is free 12/26 to 12/31 FYI. I normally use Ragozins but am going to give TG a look.

PICSIX
12-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Never tried either, but I will take a look.

Thanks for posting.

Mike

PhantomOnTour
12-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Good news...i'll have a look.

How different are Rags and Thorograph figs? Seems they would be very close since they are using the same or very similar formulas huh?

tbwinner
12-20-2011, 12:49 PM
I believe they are on separate scales as far as the raw number goes (like you can't compare a raw rag# to a raw TG#) but the theories and formulation of them are the same.

ten2oneormore
12-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Good news...i'll have a look.

How different are Rags and Thorograph figs? Seems they would be very close since they are using the same or very similar formulas huh?

Pretty sure Rags and T-graph are very different.Someone who has knowledge of figure making can explain better .I've found T-Graph to be best at turf routes.

ten2oneormore
12-20-2011, 01:09 PM
I think they differ because of how they arrive at their variants .Rags theory uses an average track speed for the day while T-graph tries to keep up as the track changes throughout the day.

However I am not fluent in figure making so surely someone else could elaborate better.

RunForTheRoses
12-21-2011, 03:32 PM
I think they differ because of how they arrive at their variants .Rags theory uses an average track speed for the day while T-graph tries to keep up as the track changes throughout the day.

However I am not fluent in figure making so surely someone else could elaborate better.

That is correct, they differ in certain methodologies, TG will more often break out different variants for different races on a particular day. If you look at the TG website there is a lot of posts regarding this.
What are people's opinions regarding the various Advanced Performance data-TG, Ragozin, I guess Equiform as well?
This is my view under a very small sampling of each:
Ragozin-the Grandad of all (although maybe not per Pittsburgh Phil) I like the look of the "Sheets", not alot of clutter. Also, many big bettors use them, disn't Ernie Dahlman switch from TG to Ragozin early 90s.
Thorograph-I don't like the feel as much as Ragozin's product but there is much more information. There is breeding data, form data (that is likelihood to bounce or pair up, etc) and early pace.
TGs website has contentious debate, he can take criticism better than the Ragozin site which will often delete contrary opinions. However, I don't know all the histories involved and am not picking sides.
Equiform- Haven't used in a while, has some interesting pace/final time theories. A dollar less than TG which is a little less than Ragozin.
As I haven't used these too much would welcome opinions. One thing that I've found since I have my own way of handicapping sometimes using these figs can throw me off-some basic handicapping still needs to be applied, e.g. a speed horse who can save ground on the rail doesn't have to be as fast as a close who goes wide.

classhandicapper
12-23-2011, 12:57 AM

That is the primary difference in their methodologies.

IMO Ragozin occasionally produces an incorrect figure when the track changes speeds due to track maintenance and other track condition changes.

Thorograph occasionally builds the impact of pace and race development right into the figure via the track variant on the assumption the track changed speeds when it didn't.

Your preference should probably be related to whether you do independent analysis of pace and trip on time because no one gets them all right.