PDA

View Full Version : James Bond nailed

karlskorner
12-10-2003, 07:41 PM
According to an article in DRF by David Greening, Trainer James Bond on Monday began serving a 20 day suspension, the result of one of his horses testing positive for a banned substance during the Saratoga meet.
The Bond trained Nevermore (how many of the Toga group had that horse) tested positive for butorphanol, a potent tranquilizer, after finishing second in the sixth race on 8/27 at the Spa. The horse was disqualified from second and unplaced in the order of finish.
Bond has been issued a 45 day suspension, but the board reduced it by more than half because Bond waived his right of appeal.
According to Bond, the butorphanol was administered by Dr. Rodney Stewart, an associate of Dr. M. Galvin, Bond's regular veterinarian. (This is the best part) Bond said he was not familiar with the drug and was "unaware" that it was given to Nevermore.
The board later confirmed that Dr. Stewart was fined $3,000.00 for "conduct which may have ben a contributing factor" in the postrace posiitive.

I don't know but it seems to me the drug would show up in the Vets billing, they don't do it for nothing.

andicap
12-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Galvin was the guy who won a settlement vs NYRA a few years ago for being "unfairly" accused of hosing horses. I guess NYRA knew what it was doing.

OK, what does tranquilizing a horse accomplish? I would think
it would make the horse run worse.

karlskorner
12-11-2003, 09:20 AM
I failed to include the last quote from the article:

"Bond, 46, said this is the first medication positive he has received in his 30 year training career"

Could be the frist time he was "caught" in his 30 years of training.

Bubbles
12-11-2003, 04:43 PM
This guy used to train Behrens, if I'm not mistaken. He should have used the meds to help him win those photos he was notorious for losing.

andicap
12-12-2003, 11:34 AM
So when he prepares his "medicines," are they shaken, not stirred?

cj
12-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Come on guys, 1 time in 30 years, I'm willing to cut the guy some slack.

rrbauer
12-12-2003, 01:50 PM
Andicap wrote:OK, what does tranquilizing a horse accomplish?

Ever go jogging when you've taken Valium?

:)

Tom
12-12-2003, 07:52 PM
Finger Lakes homeboy.
Nice guy, good trainer.
Nice family.
Hardworker.
I'll take this one's word.

Observer
12-13-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by karlskorner
... Could be the frist time he was "caught" in his 30 years of training.

This suspicious attitude troubles me .. what ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?? It just seems very few people still believe in that in this country anymore .. too many people rush to judgement much, much too often.

No one can say sure that this wasn't an accident, so therefore, why be so quick to allege that this could just be the first time he was "caught" rather than just accepting that sometimes mistakes do happen. Of course, under the trainer's responsibility code, he's guilty .. but to attack his reputation .. that's uncalled for.

karlskorner
12-14-2003, 09:51 AM
Why are a majority of SoCal trainers (reported 80%) looking for a detention barn as reported in several news articles. They want a level playing field. Mr. Bond may/or maynot have known that his Vet injected the horse, for me that is hard to believe. The fact is that drugs were used at Saratoga and are used throughout the racing industry and you as a player should be concerned

Figman
12-14-2003, 01:08 PM
Karlskorner:
Thought you might this interesting. At Saratoga, where James Bond has a stable from April thru November, he is totally stabled off-track elsewhere from NYRA propoerty but within the City of Saratoga Springs.

Observer
12-14-2003, 04:31 PM
... The fact is that drugs were used at Saratoga and are used throughout the racing industry and you as a player should be concerned

The use of drugs in this game .. whether they be legal or illegal under the rules .. does concern me. However .. to think that the use of drugs should never, ever be permitted is just not logical. These athletes all have their little ailments, or sometimes big ailments that trouble them on a daily basis .. and will sometimes need the assistance of medication to be comfortable. There are horses that have respiratory problems, touches of arthritis, back problems, etc .. but with treatments .. it is managable. The goal is to try to make the athlete as close to perfect as possible .. to keep them feeling well .. so there will always be horses being treated for something .. they are fragile animals .. but it is also important to remember, they are athletes in this game.

Heck, even in the horse world outside of racing, there are plenty of horses on something on a regular basis. I can not stand by and say, "no drugs ever for any horse in racing" .. that's just not logical. However, at the same time, I'm not foolish enough to think there aren't people trying to take advantage where ever and when ever they can, or that there aren't some who bend the rules beyond the limit .. however, I don't think when a positive comes up, a trainer should immediately be banished and portrayed as a cheat .. especially for a trainer who rarely or never has had a positive before.

Observer
12-14-2003, 04:44 PM
... Mr. Bond may/or maynot have known that his Vet injected the horse, for me that is hard to believe. ...

From what I read .. I got the impression Bond was not familiar with the medication .. and why is that so hard to believe??

New medications are being introduced all the time, or couldn't it be possible a trainer just sometimes has never had experience with certain medications?? (I'm speaking in a general sense now .. not directly on Bond).

There's a fine line when it comes to a horse's system being cleaned out of any banned substances that may have been administered between the given horse's races. It can be a matter of timing, and maybe sometimes a horse's system just doesn't clear out the way it was supposed to. Yes, this is the trainer's responsibility .. and that's why there is the trainer responsibility rule .. however, aren't you supposed to be able to trust your vet???

A perfect example of a horse's system not clearing out was just recently when Drysdale announced Sarafan would not be going to the intended Hong Kong Mile because of "lingering traces of a banned substance."

And one last point .. many of the larger outfits are not directly overseen by the listed trainer. How can a trainer be in two different places at the same time??? Again, the trainer responsibility rule .. but part of me thinks it stinks when the listed trainer is across the country somewhere, and a green assistant is at fault for a positive. .. But let me say again, I understand the rule, and accept it as necessity.

Pace Cap'n
12-14-2003, 05:22 PM
What about just allowing any and all legal drugs, except for those known to have adverse effects on the equine physiology, to be administered at any time? Anything the trainer or vet want to use.

The kicker would be that all medications and dosage amounts must be reported at the time of administration. Additionally, all treatments would be on immediate public record in the racing secretary's office, available for viewing by horsemen and the betting public alike. If trainer A wants to run his Bute against B's EPO and C's milkshake, it's his choice.

Any horses testing positive for any medication(s) not on the posted list would be banned from competition for one year, along with their connections. Banned. Period. Not just letting them run in another's name.

The major problem, and it's a big one, I see with such a policy would be the safety of the jockeys. It would be a travesty for an overly medicated horse to break down and seriously injure or kill his rider, although I strongly suspect it happens even now. Conversely, the jocks would now know much more about the condition of the animal they were about to mount.

Another hitch might be reporting such meds in the PP's. The "L" column might have to be a mile wide.

Just a thought. The system as. it stands now, is certainly in need of improvement.

Tuffmug
12-16-2003, 12:08 PM
Let trainers use any drug they want BUT REQUIRE THE VET TO INJECT THE HORSE AND THE TRAINER!

alysheba88
12-16-2003, 12:18 PM
Ban all drugs. Oats and water

Tom
12-16-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by alysheba88 (MW)
Ban all drugs. Oats and water

I agree with banning drugs, but don't ban oats and water! :D

highnote
12-18-2003, 04:23 PM
Michael Dickinson hired private investigators to follow James Bond around at the Breeders' Cup meet at Gulfstream a couple years back. I don't think someone would go to the trouble of hiring detectives if there weren't strong suspicions.

Observer
12-18-2003, 09:30 PM
Yes, and Dickinson also sued another trainer (can't recall who) for allegedly copying his special formula for his training surface .. and Dickinson also claimed "libel" in a suit against someone who posted on a website that Soto was "doped."

Dickinson Dope (http://www.mddailyrecord.com/pub/3_140_law/legalnews/120934-1.html)

Dickinson Footing (http://www.mddailyrecord.com/pub/3_25_law/legalnews/100545-1.html)

ranchwest
12-19-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Pace Cap'n
What about just allowing any and all legal drugs, except for those known to have adverse effects on the equine physiology, to be administered at any time? Anything the trainer or vet want to use.

This is horse racing, not baseball.