PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice!

so.cal.fan
12-18-2011, 09:37 PM
I recently bought a HP photosmart 6510 I think I need to use: HP 564XL Black Ink Cartridge
(CN684WN)

I like my printer, but the black ink cartridges go fast. I bought a new one at Costco, and they have a service that refills them there for $8. Well....it doesn't really work, it is only about 1/4 full, and shows empty on my printer screen.

I used to have a lazer printer (canon) but it was too big and I gave it to my son when I bought a HP laptop. I guess I made a mistake.

Do any of you guys have any tips on where and what I should do about buying black ink cartridges (I have color ones, but haven't used much ink)
I print workout reports, but I think this will be too costly......I was printing a few pp's off the DRF, but don't have to do that at Santa Anita.

Anyway, any advice is welcome,
Thanks,
so.cal.fan

Tom
12-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Try Amazon - look for a cartridge compatible to yours. I have been buying alternatives for a while now - never had a problem.

Also, ldproducts.com has been good.

HUSKER55
12-18-2011, 11:02 PM
just a thought for you to check out.

I believe it is Brother(?) that makes a thermal paper printer. might be a less expensive way to go.

so.cal.fan
12-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Tom,
As expensive as this damn ink is, you would think these companies like HP would give you a damn printer free, as long as you buy the ink from them?
Hey, maybe that's a new gimmick HP can use to get people to buy their junk? :lol:
I have a HP Pavilion PC , don't know if it's a notebook or a laptop,
and I just hate it!

BIG49010
12-22-2011, 10:41 PM
Walgreen's replaces ink for about 8 too, it worked ok for me, but I agree they should come up with some other system of delivery. I threw out my laser printer because it was old, and quit working. Now I wish I would have gotten it fixed. I think HP makes a similar Laser version of the all in one that I have, that would be my pick. I don't really need the color printing.

Red Knave
12-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Kodak and Canon have a lower cost per page for ink than most.

Thermal paper is expensive so you won't gain anything there.

Re: Printers for free: I was just at Walmart the other day and an HP printer was $19. The ink cartridge you get with a new printer is not a full one, but at that price it almost breaks even if you just keep buying a new printer. :)

I've also had the same results as you with refilled cartridges; they don't last as long as the original. Overall, though, it is less expensive on a per page basis than buying new ones.

Actor
12-22-2011, 11:42 PM
just a thought for you to check out.

I believe it is Brother(?) that makes a thermal paper printer. might be a less expensive way to go.
Unless there's been some progress since I retired, thermal paper is not the way to go because the print fades. We used to send reports to the field on thermal paper and all the recipients reported that they received blank paper. :bang:

HUSKER55
12-23-2011, 06:04 AM
THANKS FOR telling me that. I have been trying to find a way to lower my cost as well. As you can see I am groping in the dark.

that was fun when I was a teenager:D

so.cal.fan
12-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Do any of you guys use the tracks new apps for betting on your smart phone or iPad?
They started letting you bet at the track without going to the windows at the last Del Mar meeting. They continued at the Hollywood fall meet, I think.
Now Santa Anita is offering this.
I spoke to trainer Dean Greenman and assistant trainer for Richard Mandella, Janet Logan, who both have iPads, and were using this app.
They loved it. I was so impressed, I bought an iPad, then got frustrated trying to use it, returned it.......SIGH.....I'm the only person I know who can't use an Apple product efficiently, anymore. I used to have an iMac back in the 90's, but they've improved....LOL

Anyway, I may try an iPhone just to use these apps. Another friend gets pp's and workout reports on his iPhone, uses them at the track, pretty much eliminates his need for a printer! I like that idea!

forced89
12-23-2011, 10:51 AM
I've also had the same results as you with refilled cartridges; they don't last as long as the original.

I buy HP21 refilled cartridges from Rapit Refill. They have 3 times the ink of those sold by HP.

so.cal.fan
12-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the tip, forced89, I'll sure give it a try!
If I have good luck with it, I'll sure let you all know.

Red Knave
12-23-2011, 12:10 PM
I buy HP21 refilled cartridges from Rapit Refill. They have 3 times the ink of those sold by HP.
Kewl. I'll check that out, thanks.

PaceAdvantage
12-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Anyway, I may try an iPhone just to use these apps. Another friend gets pp's and workout reports on his iPhone, uses them at the track, pretty much eliminates his need for a printer! I like that idea!The iPhone is pretty much the same as the iPad, only a lot smaller...plus it has a phone...

I have both, and love both...but if the iPad frustrated you, I'm thinking the iPhone will be a similar experience.

so.cal.fan
12-23-2011, 07:18 PM
Janet and Dean both had iPads, everyone I know that has an iPad loves them....it's me, Mike...... :( I feel really inept.
Oh well. I'm stuck with this HP notebook, I think that's what I have.
SIGH :bang:

Spiderman
12-23-2011, 08:14 PM
For the printer, if you can, set the preference to print in text mode. Less ink used and faster printing. Of course, the quality must be readable. That works fine on my Epson. HP ink is difficult to find in after market at a steep discount. try both ebay and Amazon.

PeteKoch
12-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Back when I printed off lots of PPs, I purchased the refill kits. It could get messy if you're not careful, but it's a thrifty way to go.....

Spiderman
12-23-2011, 08:36 PM
For the printer, if you can, set the preference to print in text mode. Less ink used and faster printing. Of course, the quality must be readable. That works fine on my Epson. HP ink is difficult to find in after market at a steep discount. try both ebay and Amazon.

Correction: set preference in DRAFT mode and, if available, set to print in black ink only

Longshot
12-24-2011, 01:56 PM
I purchase refills from Shop4Tech at the link below. The cost for my HP Deskjet
printer cartridge runs about $6.50 when I purchase 6 at a time. Click on Ink/Toner in the blue strip at the top of the page.

http://www.shop4tech.com/

njcurveball
12-24-2011, 02:17 PM
www.tonerrefillkits.com (http://www.tonerrefillkits.com)

speed
12-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Better yet, look at the Samsung laser printer. They make one that is tiny in size yet does a remarkable job for black and white printing. Extremely cheap as well. Laser printers can be refilled 2 or 3 times per cartridge, much cheaper than ink as well. Used to be $80 bucks new or so.
Good Luck

so.cal.fan
12-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Thank you everyone for the money saving tips!
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy and WINNING New Year to all.
Most of all a HEALTHY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL. :)