PDA

View Full Version : TVG Showing Oaklawn!

Shelby
12-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Just announced on air on TVG that they will be showing the entire meet at Oaklawn beginning January 13th!

I'm so excited!

And, don't for get that Frank Miramati will be the new race caller!

horses4courses
12-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Just announced on air on TVG that they will be showing the entire meet at Oaklawn beginning January 13th!

I'm so excited!

Wish that I shared your enthusiasm about TVG, Shelby.
You must not have HRTV. :confused:

I think Frank M will do an excellent job there.
Should be a great meet!

toussaud
12-17-2011, 01:46 PM
AS an HRTV fan, this is actually good news. HRTV is just too cluttered in the winter, all so they can basically show 3 races from oaklawn live.

Give the track to TVG, let them focus on Oaklawn, while you are not running 5-10 minutes behind now trying to show races from thursday - sunday

I wonder does this mean that HRTV will cover Tampa Bay Downs daily now

lamboguy
12-17-2011, 01:49 PM
don't kid yourself, TVG puts handle into these tracks. you can say anything you want about TVG, but if not for them the game would just be waiting for rigormortis to set in.

we will all miss terry walace this year, but the mirror man is a good man on the mike.

Shelby
12-17-2011, 02:25 PM
No, I don't have access to HRTV because I have DirecTV.

And, TVG has been very slow for me lately. I don't really care to play the inner at Aqueduct and, they aren't showing Gulfstream.....sooooo, I can't WAIT until Oaklawn!

Tom
12-17-2011, 02:30 PM
What, you're not chomping a the bit to play the quarter horses at Hialeah on TVG? Aquedrab and 18 second races - TVG went all out this year! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shelby
12-17-2011, 02:42 PM
What, you're not chomping a the bit to play the quarter horses at Hialeah on TVG? Aquedrab and 18 second races - TVG went all out this year! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I agree, it's been bad.

I bet on quarter horses occasionally at Los Al, but I just play jockeys that I like, so I'm no expert lol. Hialeah isn't even offered at Twinspires to bet on!

olddaddy
12-17-2011, 03:53 PM
don't kid yourself, TVG puts handle into these tracks. you can say anything you want about TVG, but if not for them the game would just be waiting for rigormortis to set in.

If TVG is not showing the track how do they help handle?

toussaud
12-17-2011, 04:21 PM
actually if you broke it down, the tracks at HRTV are outclassing the tracks at TVG

the top 6 exclusive thoroughbred tracks for each network

HRTV

Oaklawn - profit last year
Fair Grounds - Profit last year
Santa Anita - sucking it up
Churchill Downs - profit last year
Gulfstream - profit last year
Arlington - have no clue, going to assume they lost money

TVG

Keeneland - profit last year
Hollywood - pretty sure they lost money, though not positive
Del mar - made money last year
Monmouth - lost money last year
Turfway Park - lol
Suffolk/Emerald?- ??

you can see the problem, is that TVG has a lack of diversity which is why this makes sense. I did not even include good solid tracks like Delaware Park for HRTV. They (TVG) have no midwest presence outside of 6 weeks a year.

damn, to show you how little no one cares about turfway park I just completely forgot that turfway park was in kentucky lol.

mannyberrios
12-17-2011, 05:54 PM
TVG. Has Woodbine also

BreadandButter
12-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Just a reminder Dish offers the RTN package for $50 a month which will give you all the tracks without the TVG/HRTV analysts. :)

duncan04
12-18-2011, 12:57 AM
At least TVG shows live races at night and not show horse dressage crap and Monty Roberts. :rolleyes: :D

Chris Longshot
12-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Excited about Oaklawn too but as much as I like Frank and sure he will do a great job, going to be odd initially without Terry, despite the fact that his ability to call races had diminished over the years, guy is like an institution down there.

Tom
12-18-2011, 08:07 AM
At least TVG shows live races at night and not show horse dressage crap and Monty Roberts. :rolleyes: :D

I hear HRTV will start showing reruns of Mr. Ed this winter.

ronsmac
12-18-2011, 10:37 AM

I'm so excited!

This is good news for people who like to watch Oaklawn on tv. I can't remember how many times Oaklawn got pushed to the side last yr. because Hrtv is gonna show Santa Anita and Gulfstream and even Fair grounds . It's a business decision on Hrtv's part , but did no justice for Oaklawn. I sent them numerous letters last yr. about switching to tvg to gain better exposure.

Shelby
12-18-2011, 11:19 AM
This is good news for people who like to watch Oaklawn on tv. I can't remember how many times Oaklawn got pushed to the side last yr. because Hrtv is gonna show Santa Anita and Gulfstream and even Fair grounds . It's a business decision on Hrtv's part , but did no justice for Oaklawn. I sent them numerous letters last yr. about switching to tvg to gain better exposure.

I'm so glad they listened to you!! Good job!!

ronsmac
12-18-2011, 11:26 AM
I doubt they listened to me. lol. It probably had more to do with TVG not showing Tampa and needing a winter signal. They probably worked out better terms with each other than Tampa and TVG had together.

Grits
12-18-2011, 11:28 AM

Shelby, hey darlin', I love your avatar. Merry Christmas to you, too! :)

toussaud
12-18-2011, 03:27 PM
pretty much. It's like when they started doing the power grab in 2007 jwhere each Network grabbed what track they could to one up the other, they didn't think about this.

AS much as I Love HRTV, Oaklawn had no business on HRTV with Fair Grounds, Santa Anita, Gulfstream going. Hell you can really say the same for Aqueduct.

Tom
12-18-2011, 04:06 PM
There would be plenty of time for all the tracks, if they cut back on the mindless chatter they taint the air waves with every hour.

toussaud
12-18-2011, 07:34 PM
There would be plenty of time for all the tracks, if they cut back on the mindless chatter they taint the air waves with every hour.
I know this is a popular talking point but seriously, winter time on HRTV, especially throwing in the fact that no track cares to coordinate wtih other tracks, by 3:30pm on a Thursday/Friday afternoon oaklawn is 10 minutes behind on tape delay. too much going on.

HRTV does a pretty good job of keeping it going when there is live racing, they aren't as bad as TVG, and still you might be lucky to see a oaklawn replay 12 minutes after it ran live, unless there is a big race going on.

BIG49010
12-18-2011, 09:08 PM
The'll show them on Tape most of the time, they are a poor excuse for a network. HRTV does a very good job of getting races live on the air, while TVG just shows So. Cal live. My only beef with HRTV is that greasy haired guy, I have to mute while he is on air, I don't believe he has ever picked a winner on air before a race goes off. Everybody else on there is quite interesting.

toussaud
12-18-2011, 10:33 PM
The'll show them on Tape most of the time, they are a poor excuse for a network. HRTV does a very good job of getting races live on the air, while TVG just shows So. Cal live. My only beef with HRTV is that greasy haired guy, I have to mute while he is on air, I don't believe he has ever picked a winner on air before a race goes off. Everybody else on there is quite interesting.
you don't watch a lot of races, Aaron is probably the best handicapper on the 2 networks combined.

I mean I don't play anyone's picks, but if you watch their show first call in the morning, he has given away some absolute bombs.

he will miss more than the others because he doesn't like chalk, but he hits some too and when he hits you can back up the brinks truck. Hell last week I was watching and right before he got off air he had a 40 dollar winner.

You just don't like his hair :lol:

If we had a contest and where you had to pick one on air personalities picks for an entire weekend and the one who came out ahead got 10 grand, i would without hesitation take Aaron's and feel pretty damn good about my chances. he's going to not have the highest Win % but he isn't going to have too man 2/1 shots either.

Cardus
12-18-2011, 11:22 PM

Interesting use of "taint".

redshift1
12-19-2011, 12:21 AM
you don't watch a lot of races, Aaron is probably the best handicapper on the 2 networks combined.

I mean I don't play anyone's picks, but if you watch their show first call in the morning, he has given away some absolute bombs.

Aaron and Jeff great team, Siegal is the better handicapper though. I thought Jeff said he no longer bets I think I heard that in the last couple of weeks. Maybe someone can confirm that.

ronsmac
12-19-2011, 08:26 PM

he will miss more than the others because he doesn't like chalk, but he hits some too and when he hits you can back up the brinks truck. Hell last week I was watching and right before he got off air he had a 40 dollar winner.

You just don't like his hair :lol:

If we had a contest and where you had to pick one on air personalities picks for an entire weekend and the one who came out ahead got 10 grand, i would without hesitation take Aaron's and feel pretty damn good about my chances. he's going to not have the highest Win % but he isn't going to have too man 2/1 shots either.
I'd have to go with Les Onaka. That guy really knows qtr horses.

lamboguy
12-19-2011, 08:43 PM
TVG stopped showing the mountain, beulah, finger lakes, tampa. but over all they have done a great job. i am glad they got oaklawn now, they will do a great job with it, just like they do in keeneland, hollywood, del mar and los alomitos. they have done a good job with woodbine too.

i don't care about their picks or how they come up with them, its their business to get people to bet on their platform. even if you don't like the personalities there, they always try hard.

Al Gobbi
12-31-2011, 10:06 PM
I don't see Oaklawn on HRTV's January calendar.

ElKabong
01-03-2012, 12:59 PM
I'd have to go with Les Onaka. That guy really knows qtr horses.

I completely agree, Les knows his trade better than any other on air personality.

The Quarters is pretty instructive even if you don't like their comedy routine (I'm warming to it finally), Les and Dave and the others put on a good show.

kid sapphire
01-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Are you excited because you wager on Oaklawn or are you just a fan? Do you remember when Smarty Jones raced there wasn't that awesome?

Shelby
01-13-2012, 01:44 PM
26 minutes to the first race!!

The :9: looks pretty strong on paper, but I'm going to try to beat her with the :2:. The :1: has a good chance if closers can come in.

thespaah
01-13-2012, 02:01 PM
BINGO!!! Too often, TVG on camera people are either too busy cutting up, promoting themselves as individuals or just not paying attention to what it is they are doing.
I do not expect the on camera people to be stoic horse racing handicapping robots. I do expect them to be mindful of the time constraints simultaneous operating tracks place on their program format.

JBmadera
01-13-2012, 02:03 PM
26 minutes to the first race!!

The :9: looks pretty strong on paper, but I'm going to try to beat her with the :2:. The :1: has a good chance if closers can come in.

You hammer that :2: down to 5-2? Big money!

I'm playing ex :3: , :7: / :2: , :3: , :4: :7: , :9:

Shelby
01-13-2012, 02:09 PM
:9: didn't wanna run today...my :2: got third I think.

Shelby
01-13-2012, 02:37 PM
I like the :7: in race 2

Shelby
01-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Phew, it's tough! Typical Oaklawn and I love it!

I hit a little trifecta so far....it is keeping me playing for a bit.

Striker
01-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Nice win for Tbwinner(Chris) in Race 4 with Cajun Diablo. Jamie Ness claimed the horse today so it should be a stakes race near you very soon.