PDA

View Full Version : College bowl capping thread

slew101
12-16-2011, 12:46 PM
College bowl season kicks off Saturday with three games. Like last year, I'll post all the games and odds and our cappers can jump in with their picks. I'll keep a running total of the cappers.

Looking at the overall slate, I'm very disappointed in many of these matchups. Usually, 4 or 5 games jump out as plays but not seeing that much this year. Of course, I'll still be playing most games.

All picks are against the spread.

BOWL DAY No. 1
Saturday, Dec. 17

New Mexico Bowl
Temple (8-4) -7 vs. Wyoming (8-4), 2 p.m.
These early bowl games are always tough to handicap, but this line seems way out of whack right out of the gate. Temple didn’t even win its side of the MAC and is a 7-point choice here in a long road trip? Temple did play some tough non-league teams well, such as Penn State. But Wyoming did play well for 3 quarters against Boise State a few weeks ago and seems to be playing well to finish the season.

Wyoming +7.

Idaho Potato Bowl
Utah State (7-5) -1 vs. Ohio (9-4), 5:30 p.m.
Utah State was an improved team this season, and should actually be 9-3. They lost two double-digit leads late in the fourth quarter at Auburn and at BYU. But they lost those games because their defense stinks. And Auburn and BYU both had down seasons. Ohio has never won a bowl game in its history and comes off an epic collapse, blowing a 20-0 lead late third quarter against Northern Illinois in the MAC title game in a 23-20 loss. Last year, Northern Illinois had a similar late game loss as a 17-point favorite, yet rebounded to pound Fresno State in a bowl game. This line has moved all week toward Ohio, so I’m going to reluctantly play a Frank Solich team in a bowl game, hoping Ohio will be motivated to erase the NI loss.

Ohio +1

New Orleans Bowl
San Diego State (8-4) -4.5 vs. Louisiana-Lafayette (8-4)
I have to confess no knowledge on either team here. But I’ve always backed the Sun Belt teams in this game with good success. They are usually more pumped for the game, have more fans, and LL is basically the home team here. Troy has been the usual Sun Belt team in this game, but I’m taking LL in this one as the Sun Belt teams usually have some good offensive players.

Louisiana-Lafayette +4.5

Striker
12-16-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm on Ohio also hoping Solich can break his 0-3 in bowls for Ohio here. The Wyoming-Temple game is either a play on Temple or no play for me. Wyoming knows the stadium well for the bowl game but they are really bad against the run(8 teams have run over 200 yards against them) and Temple, ranked 7th in the nation in the run, has Pierce and Brown behind a pretty decent O-line. Good Luck!

PhantomOnTour
12-17-2011, 02:03 AM
Bit off topic, but I want to congratulate the local boys, the UL Lafayette Ragin Cajuns for having their best season in decades.
First year coach Mark Hudspeth has done a fantastic job with a program that has been losing for years...this town is excited.
Good luck vs SD State :ThmbUp:

NJ Stinks
12-17-2011, 03:53 AM
First, thanks Slew for coming back with the bowl thread! :cool: I really enjoyed it last year and was hoping to read your thoughts again this year. I must admit I spend far too much time with HRTV and TVG on Saturdays during the fall to feel real confident about most games. But I do check the PP's of the teams for my college pools so I'm ready to play.

Wyoming +7
Utah State -1 (seems like everybody loves Ohio - I'm going to have to find out why the hard way)
UL-Lafayette +4.5 (read league won 4 of last 5 in this bowl)

rastajenk
12-17-2011, 10:32 AM
First, thanks Slew for coming back with the bowl thread! :cool: I really enjoyed it last year and was hoping to read your thoughts again this year. I agree with Stinky on something! :jump:

bks
12-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Came here looking for this thread as well, slew. Glad to find it. Looks like you might have a larger task this season keeping everyone's score :)

Today I'm on Temple. Temple's got an active defense, which should hold its own against Wyoming. But I can't see how Wyoming stops Temple. The Owls' offensive line outweighs Wyoming's D-line by about 50 lbs. per man, and Bernard Pierce and Brown should run wild, after the initial emotion wears off.

38-20, Owls.

Temple -7

cj
12-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Bit off topic, but I want to congratulate the local boys, the UL Lafayette Ragin Cajuns for having their best season in decades.
First year coach Mark Hudspeth has done a fantastic job with a program that has been losing for years...this town is excited.
Good luck vs SD State :ThmbUp:

They get another shot at OSU next year. I do like seeing schools like this turn it around.

Striker
12-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Plays today

Ohio +1.5
Temple -7

PhantomOnTour
12-18-2011, 12:56 AM
Allons Cajuns !!!

Aieeeeeeeeeeeee...it's bedlam on the bayou

slew101
12-18-2011, 01:00 AM
DAY 1 RECAP
Temple 37, Wyoming 15
Ohio 24, Utah State 23
Louisiana-Lafayette 32, San Diego State 30

Wyoming is the first nominee for a team that had no business playing in a bowl game after getting smoked by Temple. Congrats to the Temple backers who noted the awful run defense by Wyoming in this one. How did this Wyoming team win 8 games? Side note on this one. The over/under was 51.5. Wyoming scored a garbage TD with 3 seconds left, then decided to go for 2. They failed, but a penalty gave them another down and the QB walked into the end zone to kill the under bettors and give the over bettors an early Christmas present.

The second game was an incredible meltdown by Utah State. Leading 23-10 in the fourth quarter and having piled up nearly 400 yards of rushing, Ohio somehow managed two late touchdowns, including the game-winner with just a few seconds left after converting a fourth down. Now we know how Utah State lost double-digit leads against Auburn and BYU in the fourth quarter earlier this season. Simply a miracle win for Ohio backers and first bowl win for Solich at Ohio.

I love these Sun Belt teams! The nightcap was another super effort from a Sun Belt team in a bowl game. San Diego State looked very disinterested and was only in this game because LL made a ton of mistakes in this game. LL led by as many as 16 in the second half, then lost the lead with 35 seconds left. Down 30-29, they hit a couple big plays, then got a gift 5-yard penalty from SD State on a 55-yard FG try that cut it to 50 yards. The kicker who earlier missed two PATs then drills it from 50 for the win as time expired. Great game.

TOTALS
Striker: 2-0 on day, 2-0 overall
Bks: 1-0 on day, 1-0 overall
Slew: 2-1 on day, 2-1 overall
NJstinks: 1-2 on day, 1-2 overall

Robert Goren
12-18-2011, 06:22 AM
Dogs are 2-1. It is my theory to bet the dog in the early bowl games and the favorites in the later ones.

Marshall Bennett
12-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Wyoming is the first nominee for a team that had no business playing in a bowl game
In my opinion more than half the teams don't belong in bowl games. Years ago when there were perhaps 10 bowl games, those games were special and always worth looking forward to. I'm not really looking forward to any of them this year. I'll watch a few mostly because I can't stand basketball and there's little else on in the way of sports. :)

NJ Stinks
12-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Utah State -1 (seems like everybody loves Ohio - I'm going to have to find out why the hard way)

Yeah, it was the hard way alright.

That said, I benefitted from the Wyoming game going over and the UL-Lafayette game going over.

Three games - three wild finishes if playing at home. :cool:

P.S. The o/u in the Wyoming-Temple game was 46.5 on Dec. 13th and, as Slew noted, closed at 51.5. That's a lot of steam.

Striker
12-19-2011, 03:02 PM
FIU -4 for tuesday

slew101
12-20-2011, 12:40 AM
BOWL DAY 2
Beef O’Brady’s Bowl
Florida International -4 (8-4) vs. Marshall (6-6), 8 p.m.

When looking at the bowl slate, the fact that Marshall was in a bowl game shocked me. It just seemed whenever I saw scores on the ESPN scroller, Marshall was getting pounded by someone. I would have guessed they were 3-9. Instead, they won their last couple to get to 6-6 and face another Sun Belt team in Florida International. The major stat on this game is both of these teams beat Big East tri-champion Louisville on the road earlier in the season. FIU won a bowl game last year, so that should help, and they just look like the better team here schedule wise. So I’m sticking with the Sun Belt teams.

Florida International -4

Bettowin
12-20-2011, 04:35 PM
I also like FIU -4 tonight.

Leaving for Vegas tomorrow so I will also post:

TCU to cover and Boise St to cover.

Both TCU amd BS look to have their opponents overmatched on offense and Boise has a much better defense so I look for them to roll Az St.

TCU should score in the high 40's against La Tech and I don't see La Tech getting into the mid 30's.

Bettowin
12-20-2011, 04:39 PM
My 2 favorite picks for the bowl season are:

Baylor -9 over Washington
Florida St -3 over Notre Dame

Baylor might just score 70 unless RG3 decides to call it quits before the game:)

Florida States defense will keep Notre Dame in the 20's.

NJ Stinks
12-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Florida International -4

The Golden Panthers have a senior QB who has been through the mill this year. But he started and won their bowl game last year. Time for a little gravy.

And....And....Florida International is undefeated in bowl games! ;)

Marshall Bennett
12-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Interesting stat regarding bowls. Out of 35 bowl games, 15 teams are playing with a 6-6 record and amazingly 1 (UCLA) has a 6-7 record.
I suppose if one loves football enough to watch anything, this makes no difference. I always assumed bowl games were reserved for the elite. Many of these teams playing aren't even considered good. What's with the stupid names for these contest? The Idaho Potato Bowl, The Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl, The New Era Pinstripe Bowl, and I love this one, The Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl which features 6-7 UCLA and 6-6 Illinois. They got the name right, you have to be awfully hungry for football to watch.
ESPN broadcast perhaps 100 college basketball games a week for those who can't get enough college basketball, and a load of bowl games as well for those who can't get enough college football.

NJ Stinks
12-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Marshall, I agree that it takes a little stimulus to anticipate some of these bowl games. A buddy of mine and myself came up with a fun way to play a long time ago. The prep is work - no denying it - but once the games start the fun begins.

We rank our bowl picks from 45 down to 1. The selections include picking a side against the spread in all 35 bowl games. We add 10 over/unders for a little seasoning and you can pick your 10 o/u's from all 35 games. It's $1.50 a point with a $300 maximum loss and a $100 minimum loss. All ties lose. The lines we use come from the New York Daily News on a certain day before the first bowl game.

For instance, I had over 59 in the San Diego State game ranked at #41 and it went over so I scored 41 points. On the other hand, I had Wyoming +7 ranked at #33 and lost that pick. Anyway, this pool guarantees interest throughout the bowl season.

I'm in another pool where it's just all the bowl games against the spread. Only the top two finishers win prizes. While I like that pool a lot, it's a big field (of players) and I could be out of contention by New Year's Day - and if history means anything - I probably will be! :( :)

slew101
12-20-2011, 06:55 PM
We're all on the same side here. That's trouble.

Florida International -4

The Golden Panthers have a senior QB who has been through the mill this year. But he started and won their bowl game last year. Time for a little gravy.

And....And....Florida International is undefeated in bowl games! ;)

slew101
12-20-2011, 11:35 PM
BOWL DAY 2 RECAP

Marshall 20, Florida International 10
Ugly, ugly, ugly. Only word to describe this awful game. And terrible handicapping by me and everyone else on the board. Last year I remembered winning a bowl game despite the horrific play of the winning team’s QB. That QB was Wesley Carroll of FI. And when I saw him trot on the field, I was sick. Because I knew it would take a miracle to win any game with him at QB. FIU played well enough on defense, but a blocked punt set up the winning FG for Marshall with 5 minutes left. Of course, FIU could do nothing on offense after that and Marshall added a garbage TD late. FIU’s coach is supposedly a candidate for the Pitt job? His candidacy should end tonight.

TOTALS
Striker 0-1 on day, 2-1 overall
Slew 0-1 on day, 2-2 overall
NJ Stinks 0-1 on day, 1-3 overall
Bettwowin, 0-1 on day, 0-1 overall

slew101
12-20-2011, 11:37 PM
BOWL DAY 3

Poinsettia Bowl
TCU -10 (10-2) vs. Louisiana Tech (8-4), 8 p.m.

Motivation could be key here as TCU, in the Rose Bowl last year, is rewarded for another great season with a crappy bowl. TCU has not fared well ATS in previous bowl seasons, and Louisiana Tech enters the game with some solid wins under its belt. They started 1-4, then won their last 7. They lost to Miss. State in OT and only lost to Southern Miss. by two points. They also beat Utah State and Nevada, two decent teams, so this team looks solid and should be competitive in this spot. Taking a shot with the big underdog.

Louisiana Tech +10

NJ Stinks
12-20-2011, 11:49 PM
BOWL DAY 2 RECAP

Last year I remembered winning a bowl game despite the horrific play of the winning team’s QB. That QB was Wesley Carroll of FI. And when I saw him trot on the field, I was sick. Because I knew it would take a miracle to win any game with him at QB.

As I watched tonight I was wondering how FI scored over 30 last year myself, Slew. Neither team had much in the way of offense tonight though. Wouldn't have taken much....

Anyway, I'll brighten your spirits by taking TCU -10 tomorrow. :)

Striker
12-21-2011, 12:22 AM
Wish I could have the last few hours of my life back after watching the FIU/Marshall game.

La Tech +10

Marshall Bennett
12-21-2011, 05:26 AM
Wish I could have the last few hours of my life back after watching the FIU/Marshall game.

La Tech +10
I watched 3 quarters, turned tv off and went to bed. I think this game validates my point in earlier post here.

slew101
12-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Good thing. The majority of bad play was in the fourth quarter. Fumbles, penalties, too many men on the field, sacks. Ugh.

I watched 3 quarters, turned tv off and went to bed. I think this game validates my point in earlier post here.

slew101
12-21-2011, 11:43 PM
BOWL DAY 3 RECAP

TCU 31, Louisiana Tech 24

TCU slept-walked through most of this game but had enough to rally with two fourth quarter touchdowns to avoid the upset. Louisiana Tech controlled the first half but wasted two scoring chances with a fumble inside the 25 and a missed FG, then the QB got picked in his own end with 1:20 left, which set up the trying score as TCU went in 10-10 at halftime. In the second half, TCU took control with a TD before a botched punt inside their 10 gave Tech a gift TD, which allowed the game to remain close. Tech then took the lead on an incredible 1-handed TD catch, then collapsed in the fourth quarter as TCU’s offensive line took over. A fortunate cover for Tech backers. I think without that fumble at 17-10, TCU wins this by double digits.

Totals
Striker 1-0 on day, 3-1 overall
Slew 1-0 on day, 3-2 overall
NJ Stinks 0-1 on day, 1-4 overall
Bettowin 0-1 on day, 0-2 overall

slew101
12-21-2011, 11:46 PM
BOWL DAY 4

Maaco Las Vegas Bowl
Boise State (11-1) -14 vs. Arizona State (6-6), 8 p.m.

Like last year, Boise State ruined their BCS chances late in the year and got stuck in this terrible game against Arizona State, which lost 4 straight after a 6-2 start and fired coach Dennis Ericson, who will coach this game with three assistants who have already been hired by UCLA. Arizona State is one of the dumbest and most penalized teams in the country, and it’s hard to see them turning it around here. Boise was not impressive late in the season, so I’m not confident about them either. Likely Boise in a cruise control game with a garbage late score on either side deciding this horrible bowl game. Both teams should score lots of points here, so maybe an over bet is a good idea. Otherwise, pass. Unlike prior seasons, I thought Boise's defense was not as good as it usually is.

No play.

NJ Stinks
12-22-2011, 12:11 AM
Just wanted to humbly thank Louisiana-Lafayette for the happy memory.

slew101
12-22-2011, 12:16 AM
Still early, you'll turn it around.

Just wanted to humbly thank Louisiana-Lafayette for the happy memory.

Dahoss9698
12-22-2011, 02:15 AM
BOWL DAY 4

Maaco Las Vegas Bowl
Boise State (11-1) -14 vs. Arizona State (6-6), 8 p.m.

Like last year, Boise State ruined their BCS chances late in the year and got stuck in this terrible game against Arizona State, which lost 4 straight after a 6-2 start and fired coach Dennis Ericson, who will coach this game with three assistants who have already been hired by UCLA. Arizona State is one of the dumbest and most penalized teams in the country, and it’s hard to see them turning it around here. Boise was not impressive late in the season, so I’m not confident about them either. Likely Boise in a cruise control game with a garbage late score on either side deciding this horrible bowl game. Both teams should score lots of points here, so maybe an over bet is a good idea. Otherwise, pass. Unlike prior seasons, I thought Boise's defense was not as good as it usually is.

No play.

Nice analysis. The only thing I really disagree with is the play. I don't like giving 14 points ever....but ASU finished about as bad as I have seen a team finish. Losing back to back HOME games against the two worst teams in the Pac-12. Plus, I think Boise really wants to send Kellen Moore out on a good note. I expect Boise to win...and win big.

NJ Stinks
12-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Boise State -14

Favorites seem to be doing quite well. ;)

slew101
12-22-2011, 11:47 PM
BOWL DAY 4 RECAP

Boise State 56, Arizona State 24

Pretty easy victory for Boise backers, as they jumped out 21-0 early and never looked back. Arizona State might go to the top of the list of teams that had no business playing in a bowl game. The most penalized team in the nation, ASU kept that up, committing 3 personal foul penalties and a bunch of false starts in the game’s first 20 minutes. Wish Boise had a better opponent and a later bowl game. I should have played my over guess. At least I didn't have to listen to Kirk Herbstreit for four quarters. When he tried to give a pass to Todd Graham for the way he screwed his Pitt players over by texting his resignation was typical ass-kissing all the coaches like he and Mustberger do every week. Brent didn't even show for this game. Oh, he didn't mind ripping Dennis Erickson because he knows he won't be coaching anymore. Nice.

Totals
Striker no play, 3-1 overall
Slew no play, 3-2 overall
Dahoss 1-0 on day, 1-0 overall
NJ Stinks, 1-0 on day, 2-4 overall
Bettowin, 1-0 on day, 1-2 overall

NJ Stinks
12-23-2011, 04:30 PM
I'm going out so I'll take Southern Miss tonight minus the points.

Striker
12-23-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm going out so I'll take Southern Miss tonight minus the points.
That game is Saturday night NJ.

sammy the sage
12-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Nevada +9 now...I'll bite...

slew101
12-23-2011, 09:58 PM
BOWL DAY 5

Aloha Bowl
Southern Miss. (11-2) +9 vs. Nevada (7-5), 8 p.m.

Two high-scoring offenses face off in this game, but the difference could be Southern Miss. at least plays a little defense, while Nevada is downright awful. Another factor here is the SM coach has taken the North Carolina job but will coach this game. While the coach deserves credit for sticking around for the bowl game, it’s simply a timing issue. If this game was after Christmas, I’m sure the coach would have bailed out on the first flight to UNC. SM did end the regular season with a 49-28 thrashing of Houston as a 14-point underdog. Nevada broke a 4-game bowl losing streak last season by beating a very poor Boston College team (and not covering in the process). Everything seems to point to SM, but I’m taking a stab with Nevada. SM just played the game of the year against Houston and might have trouble gearing back up for this lesser opponent. This line could be 10 by game time, as SM seems to be the hot pick.

Nevada +9

NJ Stinks
12-24-2011, 01:09 AM
That game is Saturday night NJ.

I wish I knew that earlier. I asked my cousin's daughter to find Espn tonight on their TV. The 9 year old looked for about 10 minutes before she found the basketball game. :blush:

Dahoss9698
12-24-2011, 12:20 PM
I like the over (63) in the game tonight.

Striker
12-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Tonight's line is all over the place. I'm taking

So. Miss -7

Dahoss9698
12-24-2011, 02:49 PM
That's a pretty dramatic line move a few hours before a game. Is there an injury or something?

highnote
12-24-2011, 03:06 PM
I've noticed my system has been good at predicting the winners this week, but way off on the point spread. The games were much closer than predicted.

The money line is the way to go if you use this info.

I think that my formulations break down on the tails. When the probabilities are in the 40% to 60% range the spreads should be better. When the probabilities are in they 80% and 90% range they seem like they are not as good.

Caveat emptor when lunch is free. :D

AWAY RATING ELOPRB HOME RATING ELOPRB STERNPRB_HOME ELOSPREAD
Montana 1070 .44 Sam Houston St. 1091 .56 1.14 21.4
Georgia Southern 1063 .50 North Dakota St. 1064 .50 .55 1.7

AWAY RATING ELOPRB HOME RATING ELOPRB STERNPRB_HOME ELOSPREAD
Temple 1043 .61 Wyoming 1003 .39 -.71 -40.3
Ohio 1032 .54 Utah St. 1018 .46 .07 -14.3
San Diego St. 1016 .52 LA Lafayette 1008 .48 .25 -8.4
Florida Intl. 1020 .62 Marshall 976 .38 -.80 -43.4
TCU 1063 .59 Louisiana Tech 1030 .41 -.48 -32.5
Arizona St. 1007 .30 Boise St. 1080 .70 2.68 72.8
Nevada 1022 .36 Southern Miss 1071 .64 1.96 48.8
North Carolina 1015 .47 Missouri 1026 .53 .84 11.5
W. Michigan 1014 .56 Purdue 993 .44 -.12 -20.7
Louisville 1016 .50 N.C. State 1015 .50 .46 -1.4
Toledo 1039 .60 Air Force 1005 .40 -.51 -33.7
California 1014 .51 Texas 1011 .49 .40 -3.3
Florida St. 1051 .54 Notre Dame 1036 .46 .04 -15.4
Washington 996 .38 Baylor 1037 .62 1.74 41.2
BYU 1036 .52 Tulsa 1028 .48 .25 -8.2
Iowa St. 987 .39 Rutgers 1025 .61 1.64 38.1
Mississippi St. 1014 .58 Wake Forest 985 .42 -.36 -28.7
Iowa 1017 .38 Oklahoma 1060 .62 1.8 43.4
Texas A&M 1026 .57 Northwestern 1002 .43 -.21 -23.7
Georgia Tech 1030 .55 Utah 1012 .45 -.03 -17.5
Cincinnati 1045 .58 Vanderbilt 1015 .42 -.39 -29.7
Illinois 995 .57 UCLA 970 .43 -.24 -24.7
Virginia 1009 .54 Auburn 995 .46 .07 -14.3
Houston 1079 .64 Penn St. 1028 .36 -1.02 -50.6
Ohio St. 1008 .50 Florida 1007 .50 .46 -1.3
Nebraska 1036 .46 South Carolina 1050 .54 .91 13.7
Michigan St. 1050 .49 Georgia 1055 .51 .64 4.8
Wisconsin 1091 .53 Oregon 1082 .47 .21 -9.6
Stanford 1076 .46 Oklahoma St. 1088 .54 .87 12.2
Michigan 1064 .53 Virginia Tech 1052 .47 .15 -11.8
West Virginia 1038 .50 Clemson 1038 .50 .50 -0.1
Kansas St. 1029 .42 Arkansas 1057 .58 1.32 27.3
SMU 1000 .48 Pittsburgh 1008 .52 .74 7.9
Arkansas St. 1050 .53 Northern Illinois 1039 .47 .18 -10.8
Alabama 1096 .46 LSU 1109 .54 .88 12.5

Striker
12-24-2011, 04:50 PM
That's a pretty dramatic line move a few hours before a game. Is there an injury or something?
No news of any kind that I can find out. The line is right about where it opened at -6.5. It steadily went up all the way to -9.5 and it looks like people hit it hard at that number backing Nevada and it has worked its way down to -7.

highnote
12-24-2011, 05:14 PM
I like Southern Miss minus the points. I give them a 64% chance of winning.

I don't think my spread of 49 points is correct (it's too high), but I think SM should win by more than 7.

slew101
12-24-2011, 06:09 PM
I was waiting for the line to hit 10, now it's 7?

Not liking this game. Now taking a pass.

NJ Stinks
12-24-2011, 07:24 PM
No news of any kind that I can find out. The line is right about where it opened at -6.5. It steadily went up all the way to -9.5 and it looks like people hit it hard at that number backing Nevada and it has worked its way down to -7.

When I first had to make a decision on this game it was -6.5 on Dec. 14th. Timing is everything (or so they say) and I'm not going to lay 9 points tonight.

No bet for me tonight.

slew101
12-24-2011, 11:54 PM
BOWL DAY 5 RECAP

Southern Miss. 24, Nevada 17
The expected shootout never happened in this one, as both teams featured awful play at quarterback and nearly 20 punts in the game. But Southern Miss. took advantage of some terrible mistakes by Nevada to score a late TD, but neither team had any business winning this game. Nevada backers were lucky to get the push as SM was in FG range when they ran out the clock. Nevada’s coach is supposed to be some offensive guru, but every time I watch this guy, he calls a horrible game. Pulls his QB after a recovered punt on the SM 12-yard-line and the guy proceeds to run three plays for -10 yards. Later, on a 4th and 1, he runs his back right into the middle of the line for no gain. No wonder the Nevada coach is 2-7 in bowl games. And what does this say about Houston?

Totals
(Note for scoring, I’m crediting Sammythesage with a win because he posted when the line was +9.)
Striker: 0-0-1 on day, 3-1-1 overall
Slew: no play, 3-2 overall
Dahoss: 0-1 on day, 1-1 overall
NJ Stinks: no play, 2-4 overall
Bettowin: no play, 1-2 overall
Sammythesage: 1-0 on day, 1-0 overall
Swetyejohn: 0-0-1 on day, 0-0-1 overall

highnote
12-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Hey -- don't I get credit for picking the winner? :)

BOWL DAY 5 RECAP
Swetyejohn: 0-0-1 on day, 0-0-1 overall

slew101
12-25-2011, 01:08 AM
All totals against the spread. Since you posted when the line was -7, that's a push.

You should have had that cover. They were looking right at a easy FG with a minute left.

Hey -- don't I get credit for picking the winner? :)

highnote
12-25-2011, 01:45 AM
Oh well. At least I didn't lose.

All totals against the spread. Since you posted when the line was -7, that's a push.

You should have had that cover. They were looking right at a easy FG with a minute left.

slew101
12-25-2011, 10:56 PM
BOWL DAY 6
Independence Bowl

Missouri (7-5) -5.5 vs. North Carolina (7-5), 5 p.m.

Two middle of the road teams from the Big 12 and ACC meet up in this lackluster game. North Carolina does have a pretty good defense when they feel like playing, but with an interim coach, that’s a risky assumption in a bowl game. Missouri had an average season, beating teams they were supposed to beat, and losing to teams they shouldn’t beat. UNC’s QB Renner can be OK at times and awful at other times. Spread is too big here, so I’m on UNC. Missouri hasn’t impressed in bowl games recently with better teams than this, losing to Navy and Iowa the last two seasons as favorites.

North Carolina +5.5

highnote
12-26-2011, 01:05 AM
NC has to show me they're better. Missouri is my pick.

slew101
12-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Line is moving a lot again. Will post back before game time with final spread. Right now, UNC is +6.

Striker
12-26-2011, 01:18 PM
UNC +5.5

Dahoss2002
12-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Might not rain come gametime but has rained heavily here in Shreveport the last 3 days.

NJ Stinks
12-26-2011, 04:58 PM
North Carolina +5.5

I'll use the line everyone else is using.

slew101
12-26-2011, 10:15 PM
BOWL DAY 6 RECAP

Missouri 41, North Carolina 24

Ugh. Don’t you hate it when you know early you’re on the wrong side? The fear UNC might mail this game in was proven quickly. After scoring a TD on their opening drive, UNC was outscored and embarrassed as Missouri ran off 31 unanswered points and rolled in the second half as UNC simply didn’t even try in this game. The UNC defense looked like they were playing flag football. Can’t blame the UNC quarterback as he threw a TD pass, then saw his RB fumble and his WR bobble a perfect pass into an interception on consecutive possessions. Moving on to Tuesday.

Totals
Striker: 0-1 on day, 3-2-1 overall
Slew: 0-1 on day, 3-3 overall
NJ Stinks: 0-1 on day, 2-5 overall
Swetyejohn: 1-0 on day, 1-0-1 overall
Dahoss: no play, 1-1 overall
Sammythesage: no play, 1-0 overall

slew101
12-26-2011, 10:16 PM
BOWL DAY 7

Little Caesars Bowl
Purdue (6-6) -3 vs. Western Michigan (7-5), 4:30 p.m.

Western Michigan holds the honor of being probably one of the few teams in NCAA history to score 63 points in a regulation football game and losing. They did that against Toledo 66-63. Purdue had a typical Purdue season, winning one, losing one, winning one, losing one. They did beat Ohio State and only lost by 5 points to Penn State. Can’t guess a side in this one. Pass.

No play.

Belk Bowl
North Carolina State (6-6) -1 vs. Louisville (7-5), 8 p.m.

This line surprised me. I have Louisville being a 3-point favorite in this one. Only thing I can think of is the game is being played in Charlotte. N.C. State had to rally from 27 down against a terrible Maryland team to become bowl eligible, but they did crush Clemson the week before. Coach Tom O’Brien isn’t an exciting coach but has a terrific bowl record dating back to his Boston College days. Unfortunately for him, they are all shit bowls. Louisville was one of my favorite teams this season. I played them 5 times and was 5-0. They beat Kentucky, UConn, South Florida, Rutgers and covered in a loss to North Carolina. Freshman QB Tedy Bridgewater played very well at QB whenever he played an average defense, and NC State certainly falls in that category. And Louisville’s defense, especially its pass rush, was one of the better defenses in the country, IMO. Strong lean to Louisville and coach Charlie Strong.

Louisville +1

Striker
12-27-2011, 12:50 AM
W Mich +3
Louisville+1.5(Slew- its 1.5 at most sites that I looked but some sites do have it at +1. In case you want to use that for your Lville play also)

elysiantraveller
12-27-2011, 01:10 AM
Purdue -3

6-6 in the B1G is better than 7-5 in the MAC. Even this year.... :rolleyes:

slew101
12-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Yes, seeing +1.5 everywhere right now. Not sure whether to jump or wait and hope it goes up. I usually guess wrong, but yesterday I got +5.5 and +6 on UNC and line ended at +4.5 everywhere.

Lot of good that did me with UNC. :bang:

W Mich +3
Louisville+1.5(Slew- its 1.5 at most sites that I looked but some sites do have it at +1. In case you want to use that for your Lville play also)

Dahoss9698
12-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Purdue -2.5
NC State -1.5

highnote
12-27-2011, 02:12 PM
I'll take W. Michigan and Louisville.

I think the Louisville game is about even and hard to pick, but I feel a moral obligation to choose a winner.

BOWL DAY 7

Little Caesars Bowl
Purdue (6-6) -3 vs. Western Michigan (7-5), 4:30 p.m.

Belk Bowl
North Carolina State (6-6) -1 vs. Louisville (7-5), 8 p.m.

slew101
12-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Major line movement in both games. Louisville now +2.5, CM now only +1.5.

highnote
12-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Major line movement in both games. Louisville now +2.5, CM now only +1.5.

Cool. I'll double-down on Louisville. :D

bks
12-27-2011, 02:53 PM
I'm on Louisville +2.5. Writeups have covered most of the reasons why. Main ones are Louisville's defense and NC State's erratic play.

Play: Louisville +2.5

NJ Stinks
12-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Western Michigan +1.5
Louisville +2.5

Woof! Woof! says the dogs!

NJ Stinks
12-27-2011, 04:24 PM
For the record, my key play today is over 44.5 in the Louisville-NC State game.

Hope it's not too windy.

NJ Stinks
12-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Just want to say that the fans of Western Michigan undoubtedly had more fun this year than the fans of any other college team.

Unpredictable is too tame a word to describe the Broncos! :ThmbUp:

cj
12-27-2011, 10:41 PM
For the record, my key play today is over 44.5 in the Louisville-NC State game.

Hope it's not too windy.

That was easy!

NJ Stinks
12-27-2011, 11:18 PM
That was easy!

Must be the Law Of Averages! :)

Now if we can just see OT!

slew101
12-27-2011, 11:31 PM
BOWL DAY 7 RECAP

Purdue 37, Western Michigan 32
Purdue was mostly in control of this game behind a rushing attack that piled up more than 250 yards and took advantage of some crazy coaching from Western Michigan. They went on 4th-and-1 from their own 40 late in the first half and were victims of two consecutive onsides kicks from Purdue, yet the WM coach didn’t change his formation on kicks despite getting burned. He also kept passing on short yardage plays. Down 37-32, WM had one last shot but their QB fumbled on his 30-yard-line with 1:30 left.

NC State 31, Louisville 24
Make that 5-1 on Louisville for me this season. The Cardinals’ defense was a no-show in this one, despite NC State abandoning its running game and just attacking the Louisville secondary the entire game. The NC State offense just rolled down the field for most of the game before stalling in the fourth quarter. In the first half, Louisville had 5 possessions inside NC State territory and failed to score on 3 of them. Louisville was down 31-10 in the third quarter but didn’t quit, rallying to score two TDs and pull within 31-24 with 3:30 left. Cards even had a final shot, but stalled near midfield with 50 seconds left. The Cards just wasted too many scoring chances in this one. Not much going right for me in these games. But entertaining game even with the loss.

Totals
Dahoss: 2-0 on day, 3-1 overall
Striker: 0-2 on day, 3-4-1 overall
Slew: 0-1 on day, 3-4 overall
NJ Stinks: 1-2 on day, 3-7 overall
Swetyejohn: 0-2 on day, 1-2-1 overall
Elysiantraveller: 1-0 on day, 1-0 overall
Bks: 0-1 on day, 0-1 overall

slew101
12-27-2011, 11:35 PM
BOWL DAY 8

Military Bowl
Toledo (8-4) -3 vs. Air Force (7-5), 4:30 p.m.

Very tricky game here as two high-scoring offenses meet up in this game. Air Force was not as good as recent years, only going 7-5 and really playing poorly on defense. Unlike other service academies, Air Force has usually had a decent defense that competes in the Mountain West. But this year, AF was ripped up in most games. But are they as bad as Toledo, which allowed 60 and 66 points in back-to-back regulation games late in the season? Needless to say, both offenses should dominate here. I like AF because its history in these bowl games is to jump out fast with its triple-option, then try and hold on as the opponent usually slows it down in the second half. AF has won their last two bowl games straight up behind terrific QB Jefferson, who plays his final game today for AF.

Air Force +3

Holiday Bowl
Texas (7-5) -4 vs. California (7-5), 8 p.m.

If any bowl game screams who cares, it might be this one. I don’t like either team. Cal did end the season with 3 wins in its last 4 games, including a 3-point loss at Stanford. Texas was up and down all season and back in a bowl game after having a losing record last year. The Longhorns didn’t fare well against quality teams, losing to Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Missouri and Baylor. Texas went 3-5 after a 4-0 start. Tough game and I’ll likely pass on this one but I think Texas will win.

No play.

Striker
12-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Toledo -3
Texas-3

highnote
12-28-2011, 04:47 AM
California
Toledo

Marshall Bennett
12-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Never know which team Mack Brown will bring on the field. Betting this game is like flipping a coin. Almost like betting on the Cowboys, there's no future in it.

Dahoss9698
12-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Air Force +3

elysiantraveller
12-28-2011, 03:50 PM
At least these games are decent.

I'll take the MAC school in the first, I live in MAC country and hate the MAC. Texas lost to everyone they were supposed to.

Favorites again!

Toledo -3.5
Texas -3.5

NJ Stinks
12-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Two tough games today on both the line and the o/u's. I'll pass on the Toledo-Air Force game and think long and hard about game 2.

Hard to imagine Game 1 will stay under but I'll just have enjoy the game and find out.

No bet in the Military Bowl.

slew101
12-28-2011, 11:55 PM
BOWL DAY 8 RECAP

Toledo 42, Air Force 41
As expected, little defense played in this one, as Toledo held on to win a wild shootout. Toledo never trailed and led by as many as 14 on two occasions, then led 42-35 with time running out, when AF converted two fourth downs to score a TD. AF then faked the extra point and went for 2, and had the option open for a walk-in score when the defender altered the pitch enough where it was tossed on the ground and kicked out of the end zone. AF failed on the onside kick, then Toledo got one first down to run out the clock. I thought the kicker blew the 2-point try as he was too close to the pitch man instead of running wider to the sideline. Kinda messed up the play.

Texas 21, California 10
After a slow first quarter, Texas pretty much dominated this game, although Cal looked to have some hope after it scored its only TD early in the third quarter to take a 10-7 lead. Texas came right back on its next drive to score for a 14-10 lead and went on to a 21-10 victory as Cal could do nothing on offense the rest of the game. Cal finished with five turnovers.

Totals
Dahoss: 1-0 on day, 4-1 overall
Elysiantraveller: 1-1 on day, 2-1 overall
Slew: 1-0 on day, 4-4 overall
Striker: 1-1 on day, 4-5-1 overall
NJ Stinks: no play, 3-7 overall
Swetyejohn: 0-2 on day, 1-4-1 overall
Bks: no play, 0-1 overall

slew101
12-29-2011, 12:01 AM
BOWL DAY 9

Champs Sports Bowl
Florida State (8-4) -3.5 vs. Notre Dame (8-4), 5:30

This is one of the better bowl matchups, IMO, and this game should be on New Year’s Day, not some of the crappy games we get instead. Florida State had a rough start to the season, losing three straight after a 2-0 start, then losing late to Virginia. FSU was very inconsistent on offense with QB EJ Manual, who also was hurt in a few games. The FSU defense was also up and down but still a pretty good unit. I still don’t understand why Mark Stoops gets so much credit as a defensive coordinator. His name is always mentioned for every opening, but I don’t see him or his defense as that great. Notre Dame can move the ball as well as anyone, but they don’t score TDs like everyone unless they are playing an overmatched team. Tons of red zone turnovers killed ND this year and led to several losses. Still, ND’s defense is solid and they will be competitive in this game. I think Brian Kelly outsmarts himself in many games with his play-calling, relying too much on the passing game when the run game is also working. But I expect his team will be ready to play in this one.

Notre Dame +3.5

Alamo Bowl
Baylor (9-3) -9 vs. Washington (7-5), 9 p.m.

Baylor QB Robert Griffin finally had his coming out party this year as Baylor scored some big wins on national TV, downing TCU, Oklahoma and Texas. Washington started 5-1, then nose-dived to a 2-4 finish. They allowed 34 points or more in 5 of those games and 65 against Stanford. Baylor should have no trouble scoring in this game. Washington did upset Nebraska as a 14-point underdog in a bowl game last season, but Baylor should be ready to roll in this one. I could see this line even going higher as people jump on the RGIII train. Despite that, I don’t lay 9 or 10 points in any bowl game. My main fear with Baylor would be a slow start in this one, with all the hype about Griffin, the Heisman, etc., maybe they take this game for granted with an average Washington team?

No play.

highnote
12-29-2011, 12:43 AM
FLA
BAYLOR

Striker
12-29-2011, 12:58 AM
Notre Dame +3.5

bks
12-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks again for your curating of this thread, slew. My actual total is 1-1 for those interested in a complete scorecard.

Today: Washington + 9 is the play. Both teams can score at will, but I can't see Baylor being up for this the way they might be for a big-time opponent. There's an interesting trend regarding the fate of the Heisman trophy winner's team against the spread in bowl games which also points to Washington.

Last team with the ball, loses (since the team that had it before will probably have just scored).

PLAY: Washington +9

slew101
12-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Right, somehow forget the Temple winner. Will fix on next post tonight.

[QUOTE=bks]Thanks again for your curating of this thread, slew. My actual total is 1-1 for those interested in a complete scorecard.

slew101
12-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Reposting bettowin's advance picks for today.

[My 2 favorite picks for the bowl season are]:

Baylor -9 over Washington
Florida St -3 over Notre Dame

Baylor might just score 70 unless RG3 decides to call it quits before the game

Florida States defense will keep Notre Dame in the 20's.]

Dahoss9698
12-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Baylor -9.5

elysiantraveller
12-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Notre Dame will be able to move the ball against Florida State whose offense is suspect even when healthy. Should be a good game.

Notre Dame +3.5

I am of the opinion the PAC-12 is a really bad conference this year even being horribly overrated at the top. Sticking with that.

Baylor -9.5

NJ Stinks
12-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Under 47 is my play in the Champs Sports Bowl. If Notre Dame could only score 14 against Stanford, I can't see a points explosion for ND against the Seminoles as Florida State has not allowed 20 points or more in it's last 7 games.

The game line figures these two teams to be about a field goal apart going in. My crystal ball says the game line only matters in a low scoring game.

Got all that? Now expect a shootout! :D

slew101
12-29-2011, 05:49 PM
First drive of the game, ND moves right inside the 5-yard-line, and Rees gets picked off. God forbid, Kelly runs the ball inside the 5 on 1st and goal. :bang:

sammy the sage
12-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Have just wagered on the Wash. Huskies +10...

ElKabong
12-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Baylor.

pocketed an EAAASY $240 at work in the TEXAS win over Cal. Betting $150 of it back w/ the sucker on the Baylor game tonite (giving 7)

The PAC is really weak. Really weak. I just can't see betting a PAC team right now......I'll be interested to see how they try to cover the BU WRs, try to contain RG3 and the power running of BU's starting running back. Only chance Wash has is to control the ball. I just don't see it.

TEXAS absolutely manhandled Cal last nite. Tossed them around like small children all nite long. The situation in the PAC has to be desperate.... BU has the weapons to run all over defenses and throw for more. A dc's nightmare trying to stop this particular BU offense

NJ Stinks
12-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Before the kickoff I just want to note the o/u doesn't get much higher than 79.

No bet in the Alamo Bowl.

Bettowin
12-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Before the kickoff I just want to note the o/u doesn't get much higher than 79.

No bet in the Alamo Bowl.

They are almost to 60 at the half. Baylor can't stop Washington's run offense. 2nd half is going to be interesting.

Over/under on punts for the game? 3?

PhantomOnTour
12-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Robert Griffin III will not make it in the NFL as a quarterback.

Bettowin
12-29-2011, 11:58 PM

Can't agree more.

bks
12-30-2011, 12:40 AM
I have never seen a defense more tired than Washington's - literally too tired to tackle simple handoffs. Hard to see them keeping Baylor out of the end zone on this last drive, even with just 2:30 left.

Crazy game.

Bettowin
12-30-2011, 12:44 AM
I said Baylor would get close to 70.

bks
12-30-2011, 12:45 AM
next play touchdown up the gut, untouched.

Play after: fumble on kickoff.

What a game.

Bettowin
12-30-2011, 12:46 AM
Baylor is going to cover!!!!

Very lucky on my FSU and Baylor parlay but more important this one starts a real nice 5 teamer I made in Vegas over Christmas.

ElKabong
12-30-2011, 12:55 AM

Yes he will.

It's Jamarcus Russell or whatever his name was that couldn't QB in the league. Too fat to run, too dumb to play QB.... Griffin has a better arm, is intelligent, can run and extend drives....he'll drive DC's nuts

RG3 will be a superstar by year 3 (if his OC is smart like Cam Newton's OC & design an offense around his talents....good thing Norm Chow went to Hawaii is all I can say)

Bettowin
12-30-2011, 01:01 AM
Yes he will.

It's Jamarcus Russell or whatever his name was that couldn't QB in the league. Too fat to run, too dumb to play QB.... Griffin has a better arm, is intelligent, can run and extend drives....he'll drive DC's nuts

RG3 will be a superstar by year 3 (if his OC is smart like Cam Newton's OC & design an offense around his talents....good thing Norm Chow went to Hawaii is all I can say)

Hopefully it will not happen but I think RG3 takes one too many big hits in his first year as a starter and is done. Not out of the NFL but realizes how big and fast those LB's are and how hard they hit.

Dahoss9698
12-30-2011, 01:09 AM
Tulsa -1
Rutgers -1

PhantomOnTour
12-30-2011, 01:09 AM
RG III's problem is that he played college ball in a 42-40 conference that has NO DEFENSE. Just look at the Big12 QB's at the next level...they are terrible (Bradford, McCoy, V Young...who else?)Oh yeah, Gabbert :D
I say it's because they never really face good defenses until they hit the NFL, and then it's too late to learn how to deal with it.
The SEC plays defense and has about 5 starters in the NFL....hmmmm.
Most are winners too (Stafford, Cutler, Tebow, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Cam Newton...who else?)

Where's Kliff Kingsbury and those other clown Texas Tech QB's?????
Where's that guy White from OU?
The Big12 is like the "And 1 Tour" of playground ballers.
Get the picture now?

Bettowin
12-30-2011, 01:15 AM
RG III's problem is that he played college ball in a 42-40 conference that has NO DEFENSE. Just look at the Big12 QB's at the next level...they are terrible (Bradford, McCoy, V Young...who else?)Oh yeah, Gabbert :D
I say it's because they never really face good defenses until they hit the NFL, and then it's too late to learn how to deal with it.
Most are winners too (Stafford, Cutler, Tebow, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Cam Newton...who else?)

Where's Kliff Kingsbury and those other clown Texas Tech QB's?????
Where's that guy White from OU?
The Big12 is like the "And 1 Tour" of playground ballers.
Get the picture now?

You missed Andy Dalton. Not B12 but did play the spread offense against inferior defenses. Not bad but not going to win a Super Bowl.

PhantomOnTour
12-30-2011, 01:22 AM
You missed Andy Dalton. Not B12 but did play the spread offense against inferior defenses. Not bad but not going to win a Super Bowl.
Those are the operative words.

I'm not anti-state of Texas...just the Big12, but if we're including every team in the state let us mention Ware and Klingler from Houston, and throw in this Keenum chump as well.

Striker
12-30-2011, 01:30 AM
Tulsa -1
Iowa State +1

Bettowin
12-30-2011, 01:59 AM
Give me:

BYU

Oklahoma -14 (or wherever the line is today) is tough but they need to really roll and Iowa isn't THAT good.

Miss State - Wake is not good either and Miss State has played some real good games.

highnote
12-30-2011, 02:05 AM
I don't know the lines, but here are my picks anyway:

BYU
Rutgers
Wake
OK
Tx A&M
GT
ILL
CINN
VA

elysiantraveller
12-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Lost in all this RGIII talk is the complete choke job by Notre Dame. I'm bitter about that one. How much longer is anyone giving Kelly?

slew101
12-30-2011, 09:14 AM
BOWL DAY 9 RECAP

Florida State 18, Notre Dame 14
Wow. Did Notre Dame really lose that game? Anyone who’s watched this team can look at any of their losses this season and fill in the blanks here. Total fourth quarter meltdown by everyone, the defense, the quarterbacks, and the coach. Maybe Brian Kelly can rotate 3 quarterbacks in a bowl game next year? 14-0 lead deep into the third quarter and ND gets outscored 18-0 as FSU gets the miracle cover. Fitting end, as ND gets picked in the end zone with 2 minutes left.

Baylor 67, Washington 56
Didn’t watch the game. Good thing, I was leaning Washington.

Totals
Dahoss: 1-0 on day, 5-1 overall
Striker: 0-1 on day, 4-6-1 overall
Slew: 0-1 on day, 4-5 overall
NJ Stinks: 1-0 on day, 4-7 overall
Swetyejohn: 2-0 on day, 3-4-1 overall
Elysiantraveller: 1-1 on day, 3-2 overall
Bks: 0-1 on day, 1-2 overall
Bettowin: 2-0 on day, 3-2 overall
Sammythesage: 0-1 on day, 1-1 overall
Elkabong: 1-0 on day, 1-0 overall

slew101
12-30-2011, 09:18 AM
BOWL DAY 10

Armed Forces Bowl
Tulsa (8-4) -1 vs. BYU (9-3), noon

BYU very quietly had an excellent season against some weak opponents in its first year as an independent, winning 8 of 9 after a 1-2 start. As usual, BYU had a very efficient offense, scoring more than 40 points in each of their last three games, but against some really bad teams. BYU also is rock solid in recent bowl games, winning 4 of their last five. But in prior years, the Mountain West prepared its teams well for bowl season. Tulsa started the season with blowout losses to Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Boise State then went 7-1 down the stretch, losing only to Houston. Tulsa has also been terrific in recent years, winning their last three bowl games, all in routs. The key factor here is BYU is much better than those other bowl opponents, so Tulsa will have to step it up if they are to win their fourth straight bowl game. BYU should provide a stiffer test on defense than what Tulsa saw in Conference USA. Line has moved from BYU -1.5 to Tulsa -1 in the last few days.

BYU +1.

Pinstripe Bowl
Rutgers (8-4) -1 vs. Iowa State (6-6), 3:20 p.m.

I don’t know why, but this game jumped out at me right away. And surprisingly, I like Rutgers. Big East teams have fared very well in these minor bowl games in recent years and Rutgers has also been terrific in bowl games under Greg Schiano, winning their last four. Rutgers is painful to watch on offense, but their defense is OK. Rutgers also has been left with a bad taste after having a shot at a BCS game only to get embarrassed by UConn in the final game. Iowa State also played UConn, beating them on the road. The Cyclones upset Oklahoma State for their signature win this year but really did little else to impress. I was hoping IS would be favored here, but I’ll lay the points on Rutgers in what basically is a home game for them.

Rutgers -1

Music City Bowl
Mississippi State (6-6) -7 vs. Wake Forest (6-6), 6:40 p.m.

Miss. State had high hopes this season, was ranked in the Top 20, then fell off the map after some early season losses. Their coach also saw his stock drop a ton. MSU was competitive against some top teams, such as LSU, South Carolina, Alabama and Georgia. They just never could get over the hump and beat a quality opponent. But they should be in good shape to win this game, Wake Forest had a decent season, beating Florida State and almost upsetting Clemson, but their defense is awful and they were embarrassed by Vanderbilt 41-7 in their regular season finale. I do think the WF coach is underrated, and he gets the most out of limited talent on his roster. WF might bounce back and be competitive in this game, although I don’t expect them to win.

Wake Forest +7.

Insight Bowl
Oklahoma (9-3) -13.5 vs. Iowa (7-5), 10 p.m.

Another tough game to get excited about. Oklahoma deserves to be a 14-point choice here, but how much will they be motivated in this game? Problem is Iowa is not very good, with their only quality win coming against Michigan. Iowa has also won three straight bowl games, but they had much better teams in recent years than they bring into this game. Oklahoma should win this comfortably, but could see a garbage TD deciding this one late. Pass.

No play.

slew101
12-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Problem is, everyone is blaming everyone BUT the coach, when the coach is the major problem. He has one way of coaching, and doesn't adjust his game plan or in-game coaching to the situation at hand.

I could list a ton of examples in yesterday's game alone. But just a couple. Bringing in the backup when FSU had just scored to make it 14-9 was crazy. Then, having him pass right after the RB went for 10 yards on the first play of the drive and the QB gets picked.

Lost in all this RGIII talk is the complete choke job by Notre Dame. I'm bitter about that one. How much longer is anyone giving Kelly?

NJ Stinks
12-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Only one pick today.

BYU +1

Slew, I'm out of town until the middle of next week. See you then and thanks again. :ThmbUp:

Bettowin
12-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Not a football pick but thought I would help put a little $$ in the pockets of my friends on this thread:)

College Basketball

Missouri -8 against Old Dominion

OD is not going to be able to keep up scoring with Missouri and will lose by 15.

Striker
12-30-2011, 10:31 PM
I've been terrible the last few days. Might as well post some more losers for saturday.

Northwestern +10
GT -2
UCLA +3
Vandy -1
Auburn -3

Thanks for doing this Slew.

highnote
12-30-2011, 11:04 PM
damn i made a mistake. i wrote wake forest, but should have written mississippi. see my post #43 with all my picks. i even circled it on my handwritten list of games. but made a mental error. oh well. i will have to suffer the loss.:(

I don't know the lines, but here are my picks anyway:

BYU
Rutgers
Wake
OK
Tx A&M
GT
ILL
CINN
VA

highnote
12-30-2011, 11:13 PM
i just realized that WF covered. i am a friggin' genius. lol

slew you can leave this one off my record. i really did mean to take miss and should have received a loss.

damn i made a mistake. i wrote wake forest, but should have written mississippi. see my post #43 with all my picks. i even circled it on my handwritten list of games. but made a mental error. oh well. i will have to suffer the loss.:(

slew101
12-31-2011, 12:25 AM
If you saw the kick, you'd be amazed WF got the cover. No way I thought that kid was making that 48-yarder after he missed two chip shots earlier. Ugly kick, but it went through.

Just shows these breaks even out. I had ND and never should have lost that game, but had no business winning today with WF or BYU.

i just realized that WF covered. i am a friggin' genius. lol

slew you can leave this one off my record. i really did mean to take miss and should have received a loss.

slew101
12-31-2011, 12:26 AM
BOWL DAY 10 RECAP

BYU 24, Tulsa 21
One play turned this game around and allowed BYU to somehow win this game. Down 14-3 with 30 seconds left in the half, BYU punted and Tulsa fumbled inside the 15-yard-line. BYU, which did nothing on offense the entire first half, then scored a TD to close within 14-10. The second half was back and forth, until BYU drove 48 yards for the winning TD with 11 seconds left. Tulsa was in great shape to end the game on the prior drive, but after getting 9 yards on first down, they lost two, then threw an incomplete pass to allow BYU to get the ball back. Both QBs played poorly in this game, but Tulsa never should have lost this game.

Rutgers 27, Iowa State 13
Wasn’t able watch the game but liked the result as Rutgers wins its fifth straight bowl game.

Miss. State 23, Wake Forest 17
Miss. State fell behind 7-0, then scored 16 straight to take command. But Wake played tough in the second half and got the back-door cover with 3 minutes left on a ugly 48-yard FG by a kicker who had missed two 33-yarders earlier in the game. Kudos to the WF coach for not onside kicking with 3 minutes left. His team got the ball right back but went 4-and-out as MS held on.

Oklahoma in progress, but no one played that game.

Totals
Dahoss: 1-1 on day, 6-2 overall
Slew: 3-0 on day, 7-5 overall
Swetyejohn: 2-1 on day, 5-5-1 overall
Bettowin: no play, 3-2 overall
Striker: 0-2 on day, 4-8-1 overall
NJ Stinks: 1-0 on day, 5-7 overall
Elysiantraveller: no play, 3-2 overall
Bks: no play, 1-2 overall
Sammythesage: no play, 1-1 overall
Elkabong: no play, 1-0 overall

slew101
12-31-2011, 12:32 AM
BOWL DAY 11

Meineke Bowl
Texas A&M -10 vs. Northwestern (6-6), noon

No team has been overpriced by the Vegas oddsmakers more than Texas A&M this year. Just wish I had realized this and played against them all season. They just find ways to lose, and it cost Mike Sherman his job. A&M can score plenty but their defense is awful. And speaking of awful defenses, I don’t think I saw a worse unit than Northwestern. They have no pass rush, can’t tackle, and can’t cover. Other than that, they’re solid. Offensively, the Wildcats are very good. They can pass well, and also run the option. Northwestern has never won a bowl game. Hard to know how motivated A&M will be with an interim coach, but they should have a home-field advantage here with the game in Houston. Northwestern needs to jump out early in this one. If they fall behind with their defense, it’ll be impossible to catch up. I’d never lay 10 points in this game, but NW killed me twice this year against Michigan State and Michigan, so I can’t go back on them. And laying 10 points on Texas A&M? No chance.

No play.

Sun Bowl
Georgia Tech (8-4) -3 vs. Utah (7-5), 2:30 p.m.

This could be a very good game with Utah trying to slow down the GT option. Utah has been a very good bowl team in recent years despite losing last year to Boise State. Utah was up and down in its first season in the Pac 12, but did win 4 of its last 5 after a 3-4 start. GT had a solid season, but the defense is still poor under Al Groh. This game should be competitive, so I have to take the points. Utah’s coach has been super in bowl games in recent years.

Utah +3.

Kraft Hunger Bowl
Illinois (6-6) -3 vs. UCLA (6-7), 3:30 p.m.

What can be said about this game? Not much, but I'll try anyway. Illinois started 6-0, then lost six straight and coach Ron Zook was fired. The Illini are awful on offense, and OK on defense. UCLA somehow managed to win its half of the Pac 12 because USC was banned from post-season play. UCLA lost its last two games to USC and Oregon by a combined 99-31 score and also fired its coach. I have to favor Illinois in this one simply because, even with its losing streak, they were competitive in most games. They should have beaten Penn State on the road, and gave a major scare to Wisconsin. The Illinois quarterback can be good when he’s on his game, but is mostly a runner first. Latest news here Friday night is 3 Illinois coaching threatening to not coach in contract dispute over being fired. What a mess.

Illinois -3.

Liberty Bowl
Vanderbilt (6-6) -1.5 vs. Cincinnati (9-3), 3:30 p.m.

I know Vanderbilt is from the SEC and they are improved, but laying points to a 9-3 team from the Big East? Cincinnati is an average team prone to lots of mistakes and penalties. The key to this game is the status of Cincy senior QB Zach Collaras, who was hurt late in the year and missed the final game against UConn. Right now, he’s 65 percent to play. I hope he plays because I was not impressed with his backup against UConn. Being that Collaros is a senior, I’d expect him to play in this game. Vanderbilt only went 6-6 but they did give Arkansas and Georgia major scares, missing a 28-yard FG that would have sent the game to OT against Arkansas. But I’m not seeing much else on their schedule that warrants this spread. Sophomore QB Jordan Rodgers (Aaron’s brother) played well since taking over in mid-season but still has only started a few games. Cinci’s pass defense is weak, so Rodgers should have success throwing the ball. But his first bowl game could produce some mistakes as well.

Cincinnati +1.5

Chick-Fil-A Bowl
Auburn (7-5) -3 vs. Virginia (8-4), 7:30 p.m.

Sorry, but this game you could probably bottle and sell for sleeping pills. Virginia was much improved this year under their second-year coach, beating Florida State and almost winning its half of the ACC. The Cavs were routed 38-0 by Virginia Tech in their last game and had to sit on that loss for a month. Auburn started 3-0, then hit the skids as expected with rotating quarterbacks and a below average defense. They did post a nice win at South Carolina, but the Tigers faded badly down the stretch, getting blown out in several games. Not much confidence, but with this being the only game on New Year’s Eve, I’ll take Virginia plus the points. Auburn will be playing this game without its offensive coordinator and its defensive coordinator, who both took new jobs.

Virginia +3.

ElKabong
12-31-2011, 12:44 AM

Cutler's a spare. Tebow isn't doing anything Vince didn't do & Vince did it in his rookie year. Stafford hasn't done anything yet. Eli has been up and down. Peyton has been outof college since 1997 or so.

Nice try. You'll always have your Lamarcus Russell or whatever his name is.

0u putting a whipping on a B1G team at the moment. Landry Jones is the 3rd rated QB by the scouts according to espn....Two of the top 3 are from the b12, zero from the SEC. Bummer, swampy.

One more bet for me, oSu over Stanford.

Dahoss9698
12-31-2011, 01:18 AM
Georgia Tech -2
Cincinnati +1.5
Illinois -3

ElKabong
12-31-2011, 02:08 AM
Cincy + 1.5

(I'd love to take Northwestern over aggy, but I don't have a handle on whether or not NU is up for the game....if they can fog a mirror, they'll beat a&m.....aggy is in a fog right now w/ sleepy sherm out the door & sumlin not planted in yet....regretfully, i'll pass)

slew101
12-31-2011, 10:37 AM
I never question NW's effort. They played hard every week. Fitzgerald is a good coach, who somehow never is mentioned for these bigger jobs.

NW kinds reminds me of a service academy. They play great on offense, but defensively, they can never match up for 60 minutes against most quality teams.

(I'd love to take Northwestern over aggy, but I don't have a handle on whether or not NU is up for the game....if they can fog a mirror, they'll beat a&m.....aggy is in a fog right now w/ sleepy sherm out the door & sumlin not planted in yet....regretfully, i'll pass)

highnote
12-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Texas
GT
ILL
CINN
VA

bks
12-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Play: A&M/NW Over 70

Play: Virginia +3

Marshall Bennett
12-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Illinois -3
Auburn -3

slew101
12-31-2011, 01:10 PM
NW has lost 8 straight bowl games. They did one bowl game 63 years ago, the game crew said today.

[QUOTE=slew101]Northwestern has never won a bowl game.

ElKabong
12-31-2011, 03:33 PM
aggy hangs on....glad for tim deridder (sp?). he's a heckuva nice guy according to folks that know him.

interesting year for a&m.....
Late Aug they make it known they want to leave the b12
Sept, Baylor, KU and a few others file suit against a&m
Oct, suit will take years if ever to resolve....BU will drop suit
Oct, Baylor, Tech make it known they don't want to continue their series with aggy....2 weeks later DeLoss Dodds of UT says "a&m who?" when asked if they'd continue the series
Oct (biggest dagger of all)....wes danaher, the TX high school coaches assn long time leader slams a&m's Univ admin for leaving the b12, said it's going to hurt their recruiting, detailed the many reasons why
Nov, TCU makes it known they don't intend to schedule aggy anytime in the near future
Nov, they lose to UT in the most heartbreaking way possible
Nov, Sherman fired, they hire a guy that is more "spread offense" than anyone in CFB...that isn't a good idea.....even oSu runs the ball effectively out of the spread b/c they run multiple sets depending on matchups available. Sumlin is more into the passing attack...gotta run well vs good D's too, Kevin

aggy= Fredo in The Godfather Series when it comes to its home state.

So long, Fredo (palms placed on aggy's face, looking aggy straight in the eye....turn, walk away to my car & off to the airport I go) "Enjoy Cuba, or Starkville or wherever".

ElKabong
12-31-2011, 03:56 PM
RG III's problem is that he played college ball in a 42-40 conference

What exactly is a "42-40" conference? Final scores of 42-40??

The B12 went 33-3 in interconference play. So far the B12 bowl record is 5-1 vs its opponents.

Whether it's 42-40, or 21-10 (TEXAS over Cal) doesn't matter. Teams in the B12 have represented well. That won't be changing any day soon.

maddog42
12-31-2011, 04:33 PM
aggy hangs on....glad for tim deridder (sp?). he's a heckuva nice guy according to folks that know him.

interesting year for a&m.....
Late Aug they make it known they want to leave the b12
Sept, Baylor, KU and a few others file suit against a&m
Oct, suit will take years if ever to resolve....BU will drop suit
Oct, Baylor, Tech make it known they don't want to continue their series with aggy....2 weeks later DeLoss Dodds of UT says "a&m who?" when asked if they'd continue the series
Oct (biggest dagger of all)....wes danaher, the TX high school coaches assn long time leader slams a&m's Univ admin for leaving the b12, said it's going to hurt their recruiting, detailed the many reasons why
Nov, TCU makes it known they don't intend to schedule aggy anytime in the near future
Nov, they lose to UT in the most heartbreaking way possible
Nov, Sherman fired, they hire a guy that is more "spread offense" than anyone in CFB...that isn't a good idea.....even oSu runs the ball effectively out of the spread b/c they run multiple sets depending on matchups available. Sumlin is more into the passing attack...gotta run well vs good D's too, Kevin

aggy= Fredo in The Godfather Series when it comes to its home state.

So long, Fredo (palms placed on aggy's face, looking aggy straight in the eye....turn, walk away to my car & off to the airport I go) "Enjoy Cuba, or Starkville or wherever".

When Mike Leach came to Oklahoma, many people said his "pass happy"
offense wouldn't work here in the Big 12. Leach proved them wrong. I have only seen one game of Houstons, but they appear much the same as Leach.
Sumlin appears to be a heckuva coach, and I will be rooting for him in the SEC.

slew101
01-01-2012, 12:31 AM
BOWL DAY 11 RECAP

Texas A&M 33, Northwestern 22
The offensive shootout never really happened in this one as both teams struggled early, but Texas A&M scored 24 unanswered points to take a 27-7 third quarter lead and held on for the cover. If you told me before that NW would allow 33 points, I would have loaded on them. Very surprised their offense played so poorly.

Utah 30, Georgia Tech 27
Incredible comeback for Utah, as it looked like they were done in the third quarter. Utah led 10-7 at halftime, then Tech scored 17 straight in the third quarter, the last 7 coming on a 75-yard INT, to go up 24-10. Utah then battled back and stuffed the Tech running game the rest of the game. Utah hit a fourth-and-13 for a 28-yard TD with 1:30 left, then lined up for 2 only to back off after Tech called timeout. Tech then had a chance to win, but a 48-yard FG was wide right, Tech’s third FG miss by two different kickers. In OT, Tech kicked a FG, then Utah converted two third downs, including the game winner, a 9-yard TD run on 3rd and goal.

Illinois 20, UCLA 14
This game was as bad as advertised. Both teams could do little on offense, but Illinois made a couple big plays to erase a 7-0 lead, score 20 straight and hold on to end a 6-game losing streak. It was Illinois’ first win since Oct. 8. UCLA is a mess, and Jim Mora will have his hands full in turning that program around.

Cincinnati 31, Vanderbilt 24
Pretty entertaining game in this one, but Cincy’s offensive line wore down Vanderbilt in the second half. Vandy could do very little on offense in this game, and QB Rodgers was knocked out in the third quarter. Vandy’s defense was on the field way too much in the second half and was spent as Cincy scored the knockout TD to go up 10 with 1:55 left. Cincy wasted several scoring chances and should have won this more comfortably.

Auburn 43, Virginia 24
Didn’t watch this game, but surprised this one was a rout. First update I saw was 7-0 Virginia. Didn't go well after that.

Totals
(note, I owed swetyejohn an extra win for Oklahoma, and bettowin was 2-1 on Friday, not 2-0.)

Dahoss: 2-1 on day, 7-3 overall
Slew: 3-1 on day, 10-6 overall
Swetyejohn: 2-3 on day, 8-7-1 overall
Striker: 1-4 on day, 5-12-1 overall
NJ Stinks: no play, 5-7 overall
Bettowin: no play, 3-3 overall
Elysiantraveller: no play, 3-2 overall
Bks: 0-2 on day, 1-4 overall
Elkabong: 1-0 on day, 2-0 overall
Marshall Bennett: 2-0 on day, 2-0 overall

highnote
01-01-2012, 01:18 AM
I thought I was 3-2 on the day - not 2-3.

I had:

Texas - win
GT - loss
ILL - win
CINN - win
VA - loss

Thanks for OK win. I definitely picked that. I think you omitted my Wake Forest win; which is good, because I meant to pick Miss, but mistakenly took Wake.

Totals
(note, I owed swetyejohn an extra win for Oklahoma, and bettowin was 2-1 on Friday, not 2-0.)

Swetyejohn: 2-3 on day, 8-7-1 overall

slew101
01-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Doing it quickly, I think I recorded A&M as a loss. Will fix it. So you should be 9-6-1. I did grade Wake as a loss since you said you posted the wrong team.

I thought I was 3-2 on the day - not 2-3.

I had:

Texas - win
GT - loss
ILL - win
CINN - win
VA - loss

Thanks for OK win. I definitely picked that. I think you omitted my Wake Forest win; which is good, because I meant to pick Miss, but mistakenly took Wake.

ElKabong
01-01-2012, 01:12 PM
When Mike Leach came to Oklahoma, many people said his "pass happy"
offense wouldn't work here in the Big 12. Leach proved them wrong. I have only seen one game of Houstons, but they appear much the same as Leach.
Sumlin appears to be a heckuva coach, and I will be rooting for him in the SEC.

I kinda like Sumlin as a person actually...story I heard (at lone star of all places) was that his players were in revolt 2 yrs ago b/c he "made his players pay parking tix for parking violations on campus"....apparently Briles, like most HCs in D1 ball, got the traffic violations and such on campus waived...Sumlin came in he ended all that.

So that tells me he's more than just an x's and o's guy....he's coaching kids to be more responsible.......now if that story was true, I like a guy like that.

He coached under stoops for a few yrs, so I would imagine you'd pull for him....i do the same for chizik and boom etc. since they coached at UT

Striker
01-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Penn St. +7
South Carolina -2.5
Ohio St +2
Oregon -5

slew101
01-01-2012, 11:35 PM
BOWL DAY 12

TicketCity Bowl
Houston (12-1) -7 vs. Penn State (9-3), noon

Big question in this game is if Joe Paterno was still coaching PSU and there had been no scandal, what would the line be? My guess is PSU -4. So the scandal is worth 11 points? I’m not buying. PSU played three games since the scandal, losing a close game to Nebraska, beating Ohio State on the road, and getting smoked by Wisconsin. PSU has a solid defense and a terrible offense. But the defense should be able to slow down Houston enough to keep this game close. The Cougars will look to erase an embarrassing 49-28 loss to Southern Miss. in the Conference USA title game, but after watching SM play in the Hawaii Bowl, how good is Houston really? One of PSU’s quarterbacks was injured in a fight but he’s not that good anyway, so if he doesn’t play, no big deal. If Penn State wins, it will be behind its defense. PSU will need a good start in this one. If they get it and can ride the defense, they can win this outright.

Penn State +7

Gator Bowl
Florida (6-6) -2 vs. Ohio State (6-6), 1 p.m.

Really? These two teams still get a New Year’s Day game? Florida was a disaster in its first year without Urban Meyer, going 2-6 after a 4-0 start, and now plays without OC Charlie Weis, which might be a good thing if you watched the UF offense late in the season. Ohio State can play defense OK, but its QB is very young and raw and not a good passer. Pass.

No play.

Outback Bowl
Georgia (10-3) -3 vs. Michigan State (10-3), 1 p.m.

Here’s another game I don’t like. These teams just played each other on New Year’s a couple of years ago, and that game was boring. I expect this one to be just as dull. Both teams run pro-style offenses that eat clock with decent QBs. Should be a close game, so I’d lean Michigan State in this one.

Michigan State +3.5.

Capital One Bowl
South Carolina (10-2) -2.5 vs. Nebraska (9-3), 1 p.m.

Nebraska might be the worst 9-3 team in the country. First year in the Big 10 was not that impressive, as the Huskers were embarrassed in road losses to Michigan and Wisconsin, and somehow lost at home to Northwestern. Only a miracle comeback prevented another embarrassing loss at home to Ohio State. Huskers only quality win was against Michigan State. What happened to the Nebraska defense? Two years ago, it was one of the best in the nation. Now, they stink. South Carolina has been a bust in bowl games under Steve Spurrier, losing three straight and 4 of their last 5. Sophomore QB Connor Shaw took over in mid-season and played well, and SC can play defense at times. Hate to lay points with SC, but can’t back Nebraska in this spot.

South Carolina -2.5

Rose Bowl
Oregon (11-2) -6 vs. Wisconsin (11-2), 5 p.m.

Both of these teams had hopes of playing in the national championship game, but their defenses really let them down many times during the season. Oregon will put up plenty of points, but Wisconsin should be able to pound at the awful Ducks defense. And it is awful. UW struggled on defense as well, so this could be a shootout. But I think UW will be ready for this game after losing a tough one to TCU last year. Oregon is just not as good as recent years, and they also lost bowl games with better teams the last two years. LaMichael James is already eying the NFL Draft.

Wisconsin +6

Fiesta Bowl
Oklahoma State (11-1) -4 vs. Stanford (11-1), 8:30 p.m.

Andrew Luck plays his final game for Stanford, and I think this game will be a close one, with two very good quarterbacks and average defenses at best. Will take the points, hoping OSU lets down after not making the BCS championship game. This one could come down to the very good QBs driving their teams in the final minutes.

Stanford +4

elysiantraveller
01-02-2012, 12:05 AM
Penn State +7
Ohio State +2
Georgia -3
Wisconsin +6
Oklahoma State -4
South Carolina -2.5

My assumptions of the PAC-12 continue. I like Big 10 schools over second tier schools. Ohio State has Posey back and moved at will against a good Michigan defense with him in the lineup. Georgia will cover but not by much. Nebraska is bad...

Dahoss9698
01-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Florida -2
Georgia -3
South Carolina -2.5
Oklahoma St. -4
Oregon -5

highnote
01-02-2012, 01:25 AM
Doing it quickly, I think I recorded A&M as a loss. Will fix it. So you should be 9-6-1. I did grade Wake as a loss since you said you posted the wrong team.

Had I made a real bet on Wake Forest I would have won money even though I bet the wrong team. I bet the wrong team on PA and win and I still lose. :D

Hey... if I had bet the loser and told you I made a mistake after the fact do I get the win? If that's the case then I'm undefeated! :lol:

Here are my picks for Monday...

Houston
Ohio St.
S.C.
Georgia
Wisconsin
Stanford

ElKabong
01-02-2012, 02:08 AM
BOWL DAY 12

What happened to the Nebraska defense? Two years ago, it was one of the best in the nation. Now, they stink.

They lost some gal named Suh. She was temperamental and a real head case, but she dominated the LOS like no other....Now that she's left, NU kinda sucks on D

Mich St +3.5
oSu (-4) over Stanford

(oSu has a *ton* of talent on D actually. Two things work against them: (a) they're in a conf that is as good offensively as there is this season (b) they have a dinosaur mind as DC. As soon as he retires to the domino table, oSu will be very good on D again

Marshall Bennett
01-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Oregon -6
Ok St. -4

slew101
01-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Adding Florida -2 to make plays on all games.

bks
01-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Oregon -6
Ok. St. -4
SC - 2.5
PSU +7
PSU/HOU U56

bks
01-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Oregon line is currently at 4.5 for those interested.

Bettowin
01-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Jan 2nd

Houston
Florida
Michigan St
South Carolina
Okie State

Jan 3rd

Michigan

January 6th

Arkansas

Jan 9th

Alabama

BlueShoe
01-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Pac 12 Parlay. Stanford to win straight up and Oregon to win and cover.

Robert Goren
01-02-2012, 12:20 PM
BOWL DAY 12

Capital One Bowl
South Carolina (10-2) -2.5 vs. Nebraska (9-3), 1 p.m.

Nebraska might be the worst 9-3 team in the country. First year in the Big 10 was not that impressive, as the Huskers were embarrassed in road losses to Michigan and Wisconsin, and somehow lost at home to Northwestern. Only a miracle comeback prevented another embarrassing loss at home to Ohio State. Huskers only quality win was against Michigan State. What happened to the Nebraska defense? Two years ago, it was one of the best in the nation. Now, they stink. South Carolina has been a bust in bowl games under Steve Spurrier, losing three straight and 4 of their last 5. Sophomore QB Connor Shaw took over in mid-season and played well, and SC can play defense at times. Hate to lay points with SC, but can’t back Nebraska in this spot.

South Carolina -2.5

You over rate the Huskers. They caught Mich St after two emiotional back wins. If the Ohio State doesn't lose it QB during the game the Big Red lose. They caught Penn St the week that the sh*t hit the fan there. You never can be sure about teams who haven't played in a month but So Car -2.5 is big time gift. So much so that it makes me wonder what they know that I don't. I don't bet football anymore, but if I did I would be all this game. So Car looks to win by at least 2 TDs.

ElKabong
01-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Nice job by "Chump" Keenum, throwing for 300+ yards in the first half alone on the #2 ranked pass defense in the Big 10. Easy win and surprisingly so. Just wish I knew if Cougar High would be up for the game after losing their HC....The talent level between Houston and Penn State is huge

(Keenum, aka Chump, throws for 532 yards today)

Big 10 does a nice job by having a division winner (Mich St) defeat an SEC division winner (Georgia). Getting 4 and the Spartans vs the Dawgs was a gift.

Bettowin
01-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Jan 2nd

Houston
Florida
Michigan St
South Carolina
Okie State

Jan 3rd

Michigan

January 6th

Arkansas

Jan 9th

Alabama

Need Okie State tonight for a clean sweep:) Still can forgive Miss State for ruining my 5 teamer:(

Dave Schwartz
01-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Michigan-Georgia: Great game!

If you didn't see the 4th q + OT you missed a great finish!

slew101
01-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Can I take back what I said about the Penn State defense? :lol:

Nice job by "Chump" Keenum, throwing for 300+ yards in the first half alone on the #2 ranked pass defense in the Big 10. Easy win and surprisingly so. Just wish I knew if Cougar High would be up for the game after losing their HC....The talent level between Houston and Penn State is huge

(Keenum, aka Chump, throws for 532 yards today)

Big 10 does a nice job by having a division winner (Mich St) defeat an SEC division winner (Georgia). Getting 4 and the Spartans vs the Dawgs was a gift.

Bettowin
01-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Not my picks but an observation.

FWIW, took a look at the completed bowl games and the team with the best overall ranked defense has covered 16 out of 23 games. Baylor was ranked 109 vs Washington's 98 ranking but Baylor's offense was 6th overall so that was one that could have been an exception. Same thing with Houston. Number 1 offense against Penn States number 6 defense but Penn State's offense was ranked 109.

Hindsight is 20/20 but adjusting those two games results in 18-5 against the spread. The biggest surprise to me so far is TCU against La Tech.

Using this the rest of the way.............

Wisconsin
Stanford (Still like Okie State)
Michigan
W Virginia (Still like Clemson better)
Arkansas
Pitt
Alabama (so close, 1 vs 2)

Bettowin
01-02-2012, 07:40 PM
More maybe useless information but interesting (have had some time on my hands):

Add the offensive ranking and defensive ranking and bet the lowest number against the spread.

23 games so far and 16-7 against the spread. (same as taking best defensive ranking)

>50 point differential = 3 plays 3-0 against the spread

>40 point differential = 8 plays 4-2 with Wisconsin and Arkansas remaining

>30 point differential = 16 plays 8-4 with Wisc, Michigan, Stanford and Ark left to play

>20 point differential = 20 plays 11-4 with Wisc, Mich, Stfrd, Ark, Pitt left

Simple and only tested this year:)

Striker
01-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Michigan -2.5

ElKabong
01-03-2012, 12:32 AM
review of an originally called TD will cost the Pokies a win over the spread. For those with cash on the game, my condolences

The big 12 rolls on....6-1 in bowl games so far.

Ironic. Missed field goals were the difference in the game matching up #1 and #2, now the same ineptitude is the difference between #3 and #4. A playoff is clearly needed. The best 2 teams aren't necessarily going to play for the title. Such is college football

lamboguy
01-03-2012, 12:33 AM
i just watched the end of the oak st. stanford game. it was a wild end to the story. for about 1 minute it looked like oak. state covered, then they took the touchdown away from them. they placed the ball close to the goal line and the coach for oak st. decided to go for a field goal.

it was a very exciting game with lots of scoring.

elysiantraveller
01-03-2012, 12:35 AM
review of an originally called TD will cost the Pokies a win over the spread. For those with cash on the game, my condolences

Ironic. Missed field goals were the difference in the game matching up #1 and #2, now the same ineptitude is the difference between #3 and #4. A playoff is clearly needed. The best 2 teams aren't necessarily going to play for the title. Such is college football

3 out of the top 4 were cursed by their kickers foot this year.

slew101
01-03-2012, 12:44 AM
BOWL DAY 12 RECAP

Michigan State 33, Georgia 30 (OT)
Florida 24, Ohio State 17
Houston 30, Penn State 14
South Carolina 30, Nebraska 13
Oregon 45, Wisconsin 38
Oklahoma State 41, Stanford 38 (OT)

Story of the day, IMO, was more coaching meltdowns by the usual suspects. Brent Bielema of Wisconsin and Mark Reich of Georgia. Reich uses the Herm Edwards school of coaching, where a 43-yard FG is a chip shot, and Bielema once again coaches his way right into a loss in the Rose Bowl. Bonehead play of the day goes to the Wisconsin kid who caught a 30-yard pass with 4 minutes left to the Oregon 30. Instead of running out of bounds and protecting the ball down 45-38 and giving his team a shot, he’s gotta be a tough guy and try and smack the defender in a collision and fumbles the game away. Good win from South Carolina, and Florida took advantage of a ton of Ohio State mistakes to win the Gator Bowl. And Penn State? Not much to say there except I was dead wrong on that game.

As for the final game, what can you say about the Stanford kicker? He choked. He had no shot of making that second kick after missing the first one. I totally expected OSU to score a TD and get the cover and only a miracle tackle and replay saved Stanford backers. I still thought Gundy would run it in, but thrilled he took the FG, especially after the tough Wisconsin beat.

And can Matt Millen shut up about the OSU defensive coordinator? His defense is ranked 107th in the country and just got shredded all night and Millen makes him sound like he’s Buddy Ryan. Amazing how these announcers get on a theme and stick to it, despite the evidence going against everything they say. Did they even mention the Stanford defensive coordinator?

Think I got all the totals right today.

Totals
Dahoss: 3-2 on day, 10-5 overall
Slew: 4-2 on day, 14-8 overall
Swetyejohn: 3-3 on day, 12-9-1 overall
Bettowin: 4-1 on day, 7-4 overall
Elkabong: 1-1 on day, 3-1 overall
Marshall Bennett: 1-1 on day, 3-1 overall
Striker: 2-2 on day, 7-14-1 overall
Elysiantraveller: 1-5 on day, 4-7 overall
Bks: 3-2 on day, 4-6 overall
Blueshoe: 2-0 on day, 2-0 overall

slew101
01-03-2012, 12:47 AM
BOWL DAY 13

Sugar Bowl
Michigan (10-2) -3 vs. Virginia Tech (10-2), 8:30 p.m.

This should be a good game between two teams who most feel should not have gotten a BCS game. Michigan was much improved under Brady Hoak, winning 10 games and at least improving a little on defense. Denard Robinson is a top-notch QB, but his passing skills are still in need of work. He throws a lot of balls up for grabs. Virginia Tech only lost to Clemson twice this season, but did little else to impress. They didn’t play Florida State and their ACC wins were lackluster at best. Still, VT has been pretty good in bowl games and I think they can attack the Michigan secondary in this game. VT did suspend its kicker for this game, but Michigan’s kicking game has been awful, so it might not be a big factor either way. This is one of those games where I simply take the points.

Virginia Tech +3.

Bettowin
01-03-2012, 12:53 AM
BOWL DAY 13

Sugar Bowl
Michigan (10-2) -3 vs. Virginia Tech (10-2), 8:30 p.m.

This should be a good game between two teams who most feel should not have gotten a BCS game. Michigan was much improved under Brady Hoak, winning 10 games and at least improving a little on defense. Denard Robinson is a top-notch QB, but his passing skills are still in need of work. He throws a lot of balls up for grabs. Virginia Tech only lost to Clemson twice this season, but did little else to impress. They didn’t play Florida State and their ACC wins were lackluster at best. Still, VT has been pretty good in bowl games and I think they can attack the Michigan secondary in this game. VT did suspend its kicker for this game, but Michigan’s kicking game has been awful, so it might not be a big factor either way. This is one of those games where I simply take the points.

Virginia Tech +3.

Nice analysis but the thing that sticks in my mind is that Va Tech hasn't beaten a team that ended up in the top 25 (from a radio show) and Michigan has a 29 to 62 advantage on my sure fired guaranteed system LOL :) IMO Michigan should be -7.5..

ElKabong
01-03-2012, 12:54 AM
And can Matt Millen shut up about the OSU defensive coordinator? His defense is ranked 107th in the country and just got shredded all night and Millen makes him sound like he’s Buddy Ryan. Amazing how these announcers get on a theme and stick to it, despite the evidence going against everything they say. Did they even mention the Stanford defensive coordinator?

Agree completely. :1: :1: :7: %

Bettowin
01-03-2012, 01:05 AM
Ok State was 107 in yardage defense but 60th in scoring defense. IMO yardage doesn't matter it's how many points you give up. Still no reason for Millen to talk about how good their D is:)

Bettowin
01-03-2012, 01:21 AM

Was rooting with a friend who had big money on OK State covering 3 1/2 and over 38 for the 2nd half. Was very lucky on the missed FG's by Stanford but that 1/2 yard and the decision to kick cost him quite a bit. He doesn't bet horses but now knows what it's like to lose a head bob by a nose.

highnote
01-03-2012, 05:21 AM
Michigan

Marshall Bennett
01-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Virginia Tech +3

PhantomOnTour
01-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Ohio St finished the season at 6-7...the first time they've lost 7 games in a season since 1897...wow.

elysiantraveller
01-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Go Blue... or should I say...

Geaux Blue!!!

bks
01-03-2012, 07:51 PM
vtech +3

PhantomOnTour
01-03-2012, 09:24 PM
What is it that these teams are playing?
Ah, yes....DEFENSE...finally we see some!

elysiantraveller
01-03-2012, 09:34 PM
What is it that these teams are playing?
Ah, yes....DEFENSE...finally we see some!

It's only a matter of time before our offense gets rolling.

Dahoss9698
01-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Reich uses the Herm Edwards school of coaching, where a 43-yard FG is a chip shot

I laughed, not only because it's funny, but also because it is so true.

slew101
01-04-2012, 12:11 AM
BOWL DAY 13 RECAP

Michigan 23, Virginia Tech 20 (OT)
If you told me Denard Robinson would rush 12 times for 11 yards in this game, I would have loaded on Virginia Tech. I didn't see the first half but those stats are incredible, and must be a career low for Robinson. Sounds like VT errors cost them this game. I watched only the 4th quarter and saw my share, starting with the fake punt on 4th and 1. Just run the damn play with the 6-5 QB and stop the games. Then in OT, VT runs on 1st, runs on 2nd, and has a TD overturned. Why they didn't attack the Michigan secondary right at the start of OT, I have no idea. On the TD reversal, I thought the WR used the ground to secure the catch, but thought they might let it stand. Then the backup kicker, 4-4 on day, of course badly misses from 37. Michigan plays it very safe, but their kicker is perfect from 38 to give most everyone a push. At that point, I was happy to get the push. I didn't want to see Robinson drop back and throw or run into the end zone.

Totals
Dahoss: no play, 10-5 overall
Slew: 0-0-1 on day, 14-8-1 overall
Swetyejohn: 0-0-1 on day, 12-9-2 overall
Bettowin: no play, 7-4 overall
Elkabong: no play, 3-1 overall
Marshall Bennett: 0-0-1 on day, 3-1-1 overall
Striker: no play, 7-14-1 overall
Elysiantraveller: 0-0-1 on day, 4-7-1 overall
Bks: 0-0-1 on day, 4-6-1 overall
Blueshoe: no play, 2-0 overall

slew101
01-04-2012, 12:13 AM
BOWL DAY 14

Orange Bowl
Clemson (10-3) -3 vs. West Virginia (9-3), 8:30

I don’t like either team in this one. West Virginia was a very average 9-3 team, and not even the best in the Big East, IMO. They just look they are moving in slow motion most of the time. Average on offense and average on defense. Clemson has been a bad bowl team in recent years, losing 4 of their last 5. I thought the Tigers were done after losing 3 of 4 to end the season, but they shocked me with the ACC title win over Virginia Tech. Tough game, but again, I take the points in this one and hope for the best. But very small play here.

West Virginia +3.

Striker
01-04-2012, 12:41 AM
Slew- See post #157 took Michigan and got it at -2.5. Thx.

Clemson -3

elysiantraveller
01-04-2012, 01:09 AM
It's only a matter of time before our offense gets rolling.

Well that never happened.... really tough loss for Hokie fans... very happy with the Hoke turnaround of my program though. To think those are all of Rich Rod's players on defense their improvement is something special. Can't wait to see these top-5 ranked recruiting classes start hitting the field in the future. :ThmbUp:

highnote
01-04-2012, 02:47 AM
WV +3

I have these two teams rated dead even. So looks like WV with points is the way to play it.

Marshall Bennett
01-04-2012, 07:29 AM
Clemson -3

Bettowin
01-04-2012, 09:52 AM
BOWL DAY 13 RECAP

Michigan 23, Virginia Tech 20 (OT)
If you told me Denard Robinson would rush 12 times for 11 yards in this game, I would have loaded on Virginia Tech. I didn't see the first half but those stats are incredible, and must be a career low for Robinson. Sounds like VT errors cost them this game. I watched only the 4th quarter and saw my share, starting with the fake punt on 4th and 1. Just run the damn play with the 6-5 QB and stop the games. Then in OT, VT runs on 1st, runs on 2nd, and has a TD overturned. Why they didn't attack the Michigan secondary right at the start of OT, I have no idea. On the TD reversal, I thought the WR used the ground to secure the catch, but thought they might let it stand. Then the backup kicker, 4-4 on day, of course badly misses from 37. Michigan plays it very safe, but their kicker is perfect from 38 to give most everyone a push. At that point, I was happy to get the push. I didn't want to see Robinson drop back and throw or run into the end zone.

Totals
Dahoss: no play, 10-5 overall
Slew: 0-0-1 on day, 14-8-1 overall
Swetyejohn: 0-0-1 on day, 12-9-2 overall
Bettowin: no play, 7-4 overall
Marshall Bennett: 0-0-1 on day, 3-1-1 overall
Striker: no play, 7-14-1 overall
Elysiantraveller: 0-0-1 on day, 4-7-1 overall
Bks: 0-0-1 on day, 4-6-1 overall

Go to post #152 for the rest of my bowl picks. Had Michigan:)

slew101
01-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Did you get 2.5 or 3?

Go to post #152 for the rest of my bowl picks. Had Michigan:)

bks
01-04-2012, 03:33 PM
I feel like Clemson is at least 10 points better than WVU, who stunk this year. Why the line is 3, well, I guess we may find out. But I like Clemson by 17+.

Play: Clemson -3

Dahoss9698
01-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Clemson -3

elysiantraveller
01-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Clemson -3

PhantomOnTour
01-04-2012, 10:14 PM
I've watched most of the major bowl games the last few days and the lack of defense is alarming...no wonder LSU and Bama are playing for the title...they have something no one else has.

D

Bettowin
01-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Did you get 2.5 or 3?

Not sure. You can leave it out if you want.

slew101
01-05-2012, 12:41 AM
BOWL DAY 14 RECAP

West Virginia 70, Clemson 33
I told you, West Virginia plays in slow motion! At least they did when I watched them. This game makes me like Pitt even more on Saturday as they shut down this offense for 3-plus quarters late in the season. But let’s face it. Clemson can’t play a lick on defense, which everyone knew. Problem was, most expected this game to be 45-42. Clemson QB still has a long way to go after tonight’s turnover prone game. He’s talented but needs to improve next season, and he should. Clemson continues its miserable bowl run recently, now losing 5 of their last 6. West Virginia’s QB played well but was under no pressure from the Clemson front.

Totals

Slew: 1-0 on day, 15-8-1 overall
Swetyejohn: 1-0 on day, 13-9-2 overall
Bettowin: 1-0 on day, 9-4 overall
Dahoss: 0-1 on day, 10-6 overall
Marshall Bennett: 0-1 on day, 3-2-1 overall
Striker: 0-1 on day, 8-15-1 overall
Elysiantraveller: 0-1 on day, 4-8-1 overall
Bks: 0-1 on day, 4-7-1 overall

slew101
01-05-2012, 12:49 AM
ESPN had an interesting stat tonight.

ACC teams are 2-13 in BCS games.

cj
01-05-2012, 09:26 AM
ESPN had an interesting stat tonight.

ACC teams are 2-13 in BCS games.

Mountain West and the WAC have as many wins as the ACC!

highnote
01-06-2012, 12:31 AM
ARKANSAS STATE -- I don't care what the spread is, I think ARKANSAS STATE will beat KANSAS.

So slew -- I'm taking ARK minus whatever.

Thanks!

PS:

In Vegas do you always bet $110 to win $100 when you bet the spread?

cj
01-06-2012, 08:27 AM
ARKANSAS STATE -- I don't care what the spread is, I think ARKANSAS STATE will beat KANSAS.

So slew -- I'm taking ARK minus whatever.

Thanks!

PS:

In Vegas do you always bet $110 to win $100 when you bet the spread?

What about Arkansas and Kansas State?

TexasDolly
01-06-2012, 08:40 AM
The game is between Arkansas and Kansas State. While Arkansas St. might beat Kansas, Arkansas State is
-1 over No. Ill to be played the 8th. I like Kansas St +9 against Arkansas.
TD

slew101
01-06-2012, 10:16 AM
BOWL DAY 15

Cotton Bowl
Arkansas (10-2) -8.5 vs. Kansas State (10-2), 8:30 p.m.

This could have been the Sugar Bowl game, as both teams certainly deserved it over VT and Michigan. Arkansas had a solid season, but always played to the competition. They almost lost to Ole Miss and Vanderbilt. Arkansas has a high-powered passing game but can be prone to mistakes. Kansas State was great this year, especially against the spread, going 9-3. The Wildcats were competitive against everyone, except one bad loss to Oklahoma. The Kansas QB is a tough runner and passer, and just wins games. But the KS pass defense worries me against this Arkansas offense. Big 12 teams are 6-1 straight up and 5-2 ATS in this year’s bowl season. The SEC so far is 4-2 overall and 3-3 ATS. I usually take the points in this type of game, but just like Arkansas to win this comfortably. Line has been moving to 9 and 9.5 in some places on game day.

Arkansas -8.5

highnote
01-06-2012, 10:54 AM
What about Arkansas and Kansas State?

That's what I meant. I put my ratings up on page three of this thread.

Bettowin
01-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Will repost.

Arkansas -8 1/2

Bill Snyder scares me and will have his team ready and a plan to keep it close but I think the athletes at Arkansas will show the difference between the SEC and BIG 12 and cover the spread late. Only losses were to Alabama and LSU and that speaks volumes.

Striker
01-06-2012, 02:32 PM
K State +9

and

Pitt -3.5 for Saturday

BlueShoe
01-06-2012, 03:11 PM
KS/Arkie---Unders @ 65.
Sam Houston State +1 vs. NDS.

Dahoss9698
01-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Arkansas -8.5

Shelby
01-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Will repost.

Arkansas -8 1/2

Bill Snyder scares me and will have his team ready and a plan to keep it close but I think the athletes at Arkansas will show the difference between the SEC and BIG 12 and cover the spread late. Only losses were to Alabama and LSU and that speaks volumes.

Traitor!

:D;)

Good luck!

Bettowin
01-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Traitor!

:D;)

Good luck!

I hope K-State wins but I don't bet with my heart:) I will be rooting for them.

NJ Stinks
01-06-2012, 08:01 PM
I'll leap back in with the hard-to-find line of Kansas State +8.5.

Shelby
01-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Oh MY GOD, I can't believe how bad we suck.

Come ON K-State!

Shelby
01-06-2012, 09:57 PM
YES!!! FUMBLE!!! RECOVERED BY KSTATE!!!

LETS SCORE!

Shelby
01-06-2012, 10:03 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slew101
01-07-2012, 12:10 AM
BOWL DAY 15 RECAP

Arkansas 29, Kansas State 16
Arkansas never makes it easy, so no surprise they blew a 19-0 lead to 19-16 before scoring a couple times and holding on for the cover. This game never should have been even that close, but that’s Bobby Petrino for you. Play calling in the final minute of the first half was nothing short of stupid. Strip sack of the QB let KS right back into the game when Petrino was throwing the ball inside his own 15. Back door was left wide open in the final 2 minutes but KS couldn’t do anything with it. Glad I played very little on this bad game. And I've heard enough from Charles Davis. He is horrible. How many times does he say "too far to punt." :bang:

Totals

Slew: 1-0 on day, 16-8-1 overall
Swetyejohn: 1-0 on day, 14-9-2 overall
Bettowin: 1-0 on day, 10-4 overall
Dahoss: 1-0 on day, 11-6 overall
Blueshoe: 1-0 on day, 3-0 overall
Marshall Bennett: no play, 3-2-1 overall
Striker: 1-0 on day, 9-15-1 overall
Elysiantraveller: no play, 4-8-1 overall
Bks: no play, 4-7-1 overall
NJ Stinks: 0-1 on day, 5-8 overall
Texas Dolly: 0-1 on day, 0-1 overall

slew101
01-07-2012, 12:12 AM
BOWL DAY 16

Compass Bowl
Pitt (6-6) -3.5 vs. SMU (7-5), 1 p.m.
For the second straight season, Pitt plays a bowl game under an interim coach. Normally, this is a tricky call, but in this case, I think Pitt will be ready to play. Why? First, I think they are the best team talent wise in the Big East. Second, I think the players will be motivated to show douchebag former coach Todd Graham they are better without him. I watched a ton of Pitt games this year and can say with confidence Graham cost them 2 or 3 games with rotten in-game coaching. Pitt could have beaten Notre Dame, and blew double-digit second half leads to Iowa, West Virginia and Cincinnati. They could easily be a 9-3 or 10-2 team. Pitt can run the ball, plays good defense, and has a decent sophomore QB. SMU won its first bowl game in 30 years two years ago, but had a terrible bowl loss last season to Army and really didn’t play well this year in Conference USA. They did beat TCU early in the season, but also lost to Navy. Still, I respect June Jones’ coaching, so I expect his team will play hard. This line opened at Pitt -6.5 and now has dropped, likely due to the coaching situation. But that could be good for Pitt backers getting the smaller line if the team is ready to play.

Pitt -3.5.

FBS CHAMPIONSHIP
Sam Houston State (14-0) -2 vs. North Dakota State (13-1), 1 p.m.

Why not? I actually enjoy these FBS games, and I did watch many playoff games. The caliber of play is pretty good, but the kicking games are brutal. Although hard to be worse than some of the Division I kickers we saw in the last week. NDS has an excellent defense. They shut down the excellent Georgia Southern offense cold a few weeks ago in the semifinals (35-7 win) and I think they played better teams than SHS did in the lead up to the final. NDS has only allowed 21 points in three playoff games. SHS is undefeated but were very fortunate to win their first and third tournament games.

North Dakota State +2

Striker
01-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Slew- I know I will be getting the toilet bowl for this years bowls amongst the PA cappers and maybe you feel sorry for me, but I took KState, so take that generous win you gave me off my total. And in bad news for you I will take

Pitt -3.5

Dahoss9698
01-07-2012, 01:11 AM
SMU +3.5

BlueShoe
01-07-2012, 09:39 AM
FBS CHAMPIONSHIP

Why not? I actually enjoy these FBS games, and I did watch many playoff games. The caliber of play is pretty good, but the kicking games are brutal.
This is my focus college game of the weekend. Have no opinion or interest in a 7-5 team playing a 6-6 one (Compass Bowl). Have watched with interest these Division I playoffs, and have really enjoyed them, level of play is quite good. Now we have two teams with a combined record of 27-1 in the final. The line has been either pick it or NDS -1, so fine with SHS +1. Very tough to pick, but went SHS because the game is being played in Frisco, slight home field advantage for SHS. No opinion on Arkie State/NI, pass. Will wait a bit longer before picking Bama/LSU.

slew101
01-07-2012, 11:22 AM
I could never grade picks in Vegas. I'd have a ton of mistakes.

Fix made on tonight's roundup.

Slew- I know I will be getting the toilet bowl for this years bowls amongst the PA cappers and maybe you feel sorry for me, but I took KState, so take that generous win you gave me off my total. And in bad news for you I will take

Pitt -3.5

NJ Stinks
01-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Pitt -3.5

Saw much of Pitt-West Virginia game and more than enough of West Virginia-Clemson to say this: Either Pitt is really really tough or Clemson absolutely mailed it in.

slew101
01-07-2012, 04:21 PM
BOWL DAY 16 RECAP

SMU 28, Pitt 6
Well, I can’t blame Todd Graham for this loss. Awful effort all around by Pitt, and this game was really over in the first 10 minutes as SMU scored early and often. Pitt trailed 21-0 after the first quarter and with its slowdown offense, had no chance in this one. I was nervous playing against June Jones as an underdog and paid the price. Bad pick.

North Dakota State 17, Sam Houston State 6
Excellent game in the FCS final, and can NDS play some good defense. They shut down the high-powered SHS offense (39 points per game) the entire game and did enough on offense to win their first FCS title since moving up from Division II. Really enjoyed all these FCS playoff games. Love the playoff system in FCS.

Totals

Slew: 1-1 on day, 17-9-1 overall
Swetyejohn: no play, 14-9-2 overall
Bettowin: no play, 10-4 overall
Dahoss: 1-0 on day, 12-6 overall
Blueshoe: 0-1 on day, 3-1 overall
Striker: 0-1 on day, 8-17-1 overall
NJ Stinks: 0-1 on day, 5-9 overall
Texas Dolly: no play, 0-1 overall

slew101
01-07-2012, 04:24 PM
BOWL DAY 17

GoDaddy.com Bowl
Arkansas State (10-2) -1.5 vs. Northern Illinois (10-3), 9 p.m.

Arkansas State is another team playing with an interim coach, but they went undefeated in the tough Sun Belt Conference, and only lost games to Virginia Tech and Illinois. Northern Illinois routed Fresno State last year in a bowl game, but didn’t seem as explosive on offense this year as in years past. They did win the MAC title, erasing a 20-0 third quarter deficit to beat Ohio. Tough game, but I like Northern Illinois’ bowl experience and will back them here. MAC teams have played pretty well this year in bowl games, going 3-1. Ohio, Toledo, and Temple won, and Central Michigan lost. Sun Belt is 1-1 this year in bowl games.

Northern Illinois +1.5

Striker
01-07-2012, 05:49 PM
N. Ill +1.5

highnote
01-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Slew I was working and didn't get my picks in. However, all my picks are on page three of this thread.

Here is what I would have bet according to my post on Dec 24, 2011:

PITT -- I estimated them to be 7.9 points better than SMU.

No play on the FBS game because I had not calculated the spread with my software.

BOWL DAY 16

Compass Bowl
Pitt (6-6) -3.5 vs. SMU (7-5), 1 p.m.

FBS CHAMPIONSHIP

highnote
01-07-2012, 06:16 PM
ARKANSAS ST.

I estimate them to be 10.8 points better than N.ILL.

BOWL DAY 17

GoDaddy.com Bowl
Arkansas State (10-2) -1.5 vs. Northern Illinois (10-3), 9 p.m.

Dahoss9698
01-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Arkansas St -1.5
LSU +2

Bettowin
01-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Bama even

BlueShoe
01-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Depending on where you shop, a few places have the Tigers a 2 point dog. So--
LSU +2.

slew101
01-09-2012, 01:04 AM
BOWL DAY 17 RECAP

Northern Illinois 38, Arkansas State 20
Arkansas State came out like they shot were out of a cannon in this one, scoring 13 points in their first three possessions and looking unstoppable, then hit a wall. Northern Illinois ran off 31 straight points to take control and should have had more if not for some awful field goal kicking. Very surprised how well the NI defense played in this one. Totally shut down AS after the first quarter.

Totals

Slew: 1-0 on day, 18-9-1 overall
Swetyejohn: 0-1 on day, 14-10-2 overall
Bettowin: no play, 10-4 overall
Dahoss: 0-1 on day, 12-7 overall
Blueshoe: no play, 3-1 overall
Striker: 1-0 day, 9-17-1 overall
NJ Stinks: no play, 5-9 overall
Texas Dolly: no play, 0-1 overall

slew101
01-09-2012, 01:06 AM
BOWL DAY 18

BCS Championship
Alabama (11-1) -1 vs. LSU (13-0), 8:30 p.m.

Very surprised by the line in this game. I had LSU a 3-point choice based on their body of work and having beaten Alabama earlier in the season. The experts love Alabama in the rematch. The Tide did outplay LSU in the first half, missing 3 field goals. But LSU dominated the second half and OT and their defense is awesome. Both teams will struggle to move the ball, but I like LSU in this game to finish a perfect season. Their defense is just too good. Line has moved toward Alabama all week, and I expect a ton of movement both ways throughout the day. Of course, last year Auburn was -3 until the day before the game and eventually was +1 at kickoff. Capping the bowl season on The Mad Hatter.

LSU +1

highnote
01-09-2012, 01:53 AM
LSU

I project LSU to win by about 12.

BOWL DAY 18

BCS Championship
Alabama (11-1) -1 vs. LSU (13-0), 8:30 p.m.

Very surprised by the line in this game. I had LSU a 3-point choice based on their body of work and having beaten Alabama earlier in the season. The experts love Alabama in the rematch. The Tide did outplay LSU in the first half, missing 3 field goals. But LSU dominated the second half and OT and their defense is awesome. Both teams will struggle to move the ball, but I like LSU in this game to finish a perfect season. Their defense is just too good. Line has moved toward Alabama all week, and I expect a ton of movement both ways throughout the day. Of course, last year Auburn was -3 until the day before the game and eventually was +1 at kickoff. Capping the bowl season on The Mad Hatter.

LSU +1

bks
01-09-2012, 12:01 PM
LSU for me. It's been a rough bowl season; thanks again to slew for the thread.

PLAY: LSU +1

Robert Goren
01-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Generally in bowl rematches the loser of the first game wins.

Ocala Mike
01-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Took LSU on the money line, and think it will be a higher scoring game than expected. Maybe some long runbacks, defense scores, and defensive lapses.

Haven't heard much about the "honey badger"; is he playing?

Ocala Mike

Striker
01-09-2012, 02:08 PM
LSU +2

Dahoss2002
01-09-2012, 02:18 PM
LSU +1
I think at least a touchdown though.
GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Bettowin
01-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Have Bama even for the picks but betting under 20 1/2 for the first half and will probably bet the over under for the 2nd half once the line comes out.

Also took first score will be FG or safety at +135.

And will there be 3 consecutive scores by any team? NO at +120

Good luck to all.

Robert Fischer
01-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Bama easily

NJ Stinks
01-09-2012, 08:27 PM
LSU +1

Under 41.5

Is it possible to have an "under" game in the Superdome? :confused:

slew101
01-09-2012, 11:42 PM
BOWL DAY 18 RECAP

Alabama 21, LSU 0
Well, that sucked. Both the bet and the game. I would have preferred George Jefferson at quarterback for LSU. That was horrid. I shouldn’t be surprised. I have lost 5 straight BCS finals, with my last win being Florida over Ohio State. Not much to say about this game. I knew LSU was in trouble when Erin Andrews asked Les Miles what they needed to do in the second half and he had a blank look on his face.

Final totals for those with multiple plays. Bettowin heads to the front of the class with some good side bets in the BCS final for a 73 percent overall win percentage (minimum 10 plays). Thanks to everyone for posting the picks. I enjoyed following everyone’s plays.

Bettowin: 4-1 on day, 14-5 overall (73 percent)
Slew: 0-1 on day, 18-10-1 overall (64 percent)
Dahoss: 0-1 on day, 12-8 overall (60 percent)
Swetyejohn: 0-1 on day, 14-11-2 overall (56 percent)
Elkabong: no play, 3-1 overall (75 percent)
Blueshoe: 0-1 on day, 3-2 overall (60 percent)
Marshall Bennett: no play, 3-2-1 overall (60 percent)
NJ Stinks: 1-1 on day, 6-10 overall (38 percent)
Striker: 0-1 on day, 9-18-1 overall (33 percent)
Elysiantraveller: no play, 4-8-1 overall (33 percent)
Bks: 0-1 on day, 4-8-1 overall (33 percent)
Sammythesage: no play, 1-1 overall (50 percent)

Dahoss9698
01-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Thanks for keeping score Slew....good stuff

highnote
01-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Congrats Bett, Slew and Dahoss -- not bad at all!

I got 56 percent. If I had done a little handicapping I could possibly have gone 17-8-2. I let my system make all the bets. So not a bad showing for doing zero handicapping.

I wonder if 56 percent is enough to turn a profit had these been actual money bets?

BOWL DAY 18 RECAP

Bettowin: 4-1 on day, 14-5 overall (73 percent)
Slew: 0-1 on day, 18-10-1 overall (64 percent)
Dahoss: 0-1 on day, 12-8 overall (60 percent)
Swetyejohn: 0-1 on day, 14-11-2 overall (56 percent)
Elkabong: no play, 3-1 overall (75 percent)
Blueshoe: 0-1 on day, 3-2 overall (60 percent)
Marshall Bennett: no play, 3-2-1 overall (60 percent)
NJ Stinks: 1-1 on day, 6-10 overall (38 percent)
Striker: 0-1 on day, 9-18-1 overall (33 percent)
Elysiantraveller: no play, 4-8-1 overall (33 percent)
Bks: 0-1 on day, 4-8-1 overall (33 percent)
Sammythesage: no play, 1-1 overall (50 percent)

Bettowin
01-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Thanks for doing this Slew. I suck at NFL but college football is good for me and college basketball until the NCAA tlournament.

Would like to meet up with you and the crew that likes sports betting somewhere somehow:) The racing people I have met on this site and a different one I won't mention were all top notch and I don't expect anything different from the sportsbetting people:)

Thanks again.

Striker
01-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Nicely done Bet, Slew, Dahoss, and swety j. Thanks again for doing this Slew.

NJ Stinks
01-10-2012, 05:27 PM
I'd like to lodge an objection. When I think of all the winners I coud have had over the long New Year's Weekend....

:lol:

6-10 is what it is. :ThmbDown: But I still enjoyed the trip. Thanks again, Slew! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: