PDA

View Full Version : Private info computer question

trying2win
12-10-2003, 12:28 AM
--I've just noticed something lately when using a SEARCH function,
that I didn't notice before. If I use the SEARCH function at GOOGLE.COM, MSN.COM, or EBAY.COM to name a few, as soon as I type the first letter in the box, I get a display of all the words or phrases I've looked up in the last couple of months.

--For years when I used a SEARCH function, I don't recall a menu popping up listing what I've been searching for the last 2 or 3 months. Is this an indication that there is a new sophisticated spyware or adware that is well-hidden and undetected in my computer system? If there is, then perhaps when I use
AD-AWARE and SPYBOT, these utilities aren't picking up some pieces of spyware that are tracking my searches.

--When I clear my history of visited websites now and then, this doesn't erase the above-mentioned menus in the SEARCH functions. If SEARCH functions have caches, I'd sure like to know how you can clear them.

--Anybody else notice this kind of thing? If not, I guess I'm the only one having this kind of computer spyware and privacy issue. If somebody else DOES have the same thing going on at their SEARCH function sites, have you got any remedies to get rid of these possible hidden spyware?

Thanks,

Trying2win

JustRalph
12-10-2003, 01:21 AM
It's a feature.........

http://www.justralph.com/web_forms.jpg

trying2win
12-10-2003, 01:45 AM
JUST RALPH,

--Took me a little while to figure out your instructions...i.e. I couldn't see the trees for the forest...or... When all else fails, follow directions! The mystery is, how did you get those arrows on there to augment your screen illustrations?

--After clicking on the AUTO COMPLETE button, then the CLEAR FORMS button, that did the trick! My SEARCH function histories have been cleared. It was nice to erase all that personal info.

--I've now just added some more computer knowledge. Thanks very much.

Trying2win

JustRalph
12-10-2003, 03:16 AM
Man over machine......

you are welcome...........

PaceAdvantage
12-11-2003, 12:13 AM
Makes you wonder what trying2win was searching for.....LOL

Just kidding.... ;)

trying2win
12-11-2003, 01:34 AM
PA,

--No, there were no naughty words or phrases listed in my Search function sites. I had nothing to worry about in that department. It's just that if a computer repairman, or a friend was scanning my computer... or some spyware company, I wouldn't like them to snoop around and look at what my searches have been for the last month or two.

--So, with the knowledge now to clear the SEARCH function cache, along with using AD-AWARE AND SPYBOT to eliminate spyware, that keeps some of the snoops from looking at some personal information.

--I have heard stories of employees getting fired from their jobs, because they were using company computers to visit forbidden websites they weren't supposed to. I guess these employees figured that just by hitting the CLEAR HISTORY button that they could eliminate all the evidence. WRONG! Company computer techs have methods of checking up on what internet sites etc. that employees have been looking at.

--I learned somewhere awhile back, that once you hit the CLEAR HISTORY button, or delete a file and remove it from the RECYCLE BIN, that the files remains own your hard drive for awhile and can be recovered. It's true!

--I bought a file recovery program and it comes in handy sometimes. By using this program, you can see what deleted files are still on your hard drive and what condition they are in, in case you want to recover some of them. That's come in handy sometimes when I've deleted some
horseracing files and two days later, I found out I needed some of those deleted ones. Good old file recovery program saved the day!

--If I want to eliminate some of those old deleted files still sitting on the hard drive, I just use the techniques of a defragmenting program and/or eliminator (eraser) program.

Regards,

Trying2win

trying2win
12-11-2003, 03:54 AM
--So, if a computer tech is asked by the boss to do some detective work, and see what certain employees have been looking at during the day on the internet, they've got lots of options.

--One way is using a file recovery program. Another is using the FIND FILE utility from the main computer screen. By using the FIND FILE option, the computer tech can look up individual words, or they can look up things like html, gif, jpg files etc. to find incriminating evidence.

--So, as that old saying goes ..."It's easier to stay out of trouble, than to get out of it once you get into it."

Trying2win

JustRalph
12-11-2003, 04:16 PM
trying2win

they wouldn't use any of those methods.....they would use a packet sniffer........for internet stuff..........look that one up.

trying2win
12-11-2003, 07:12 PM
JUST RALPH,

Thanks for the info. After doing a Google search on the phrase "PACKET SNIFFER", I read some revealing information about what that type of program can do. Found out some things I didn't know about before. One example was how the monitoring aspect of this type of product, can render some evidence- eliminating programs useless. Very interesting.

Thanks,

Trying2win

cj
12-11-2003, 07:28 PM
We have many people in the Air Force who think they can hide what they have been doing online by cleaning up the machine on their desk...at least they used to be in the Air Force :D

DJofSD
12-11-2003, 09:39 PM
If you are accessing the internet via a work computer and the company is using an internal network and/or proxy server, they don't need to look at your system or browser history. The information about the traffic you generate is collected at the server.

On the other end of things, check out what can be done by the host at the other end. Look at: http://www.ip2location.com/?AfID=17800

and http://privacy.net/analyze/

Guys, it's all secrecy and no privacy.

DJofSD

headhawg
12-12-2003, 11:19 PM
tryingtowin,

If you are concerned about browser issues, try using Mozilla Firebird. You can find it at www.mozilla.com

IE and Windows keep track of history, if I recall in file called index.dat (could be wrong). You'll need a special program to get rid of it. I heard that Evidence Eliminator does, but I have never used it.

For general purpose clearing and "digital shredding" of files I use Window Washer.

For more info on security try www.astalavista.com. It's an informative site.

HH