PDA

View Full Version : Fear and Desire

Actor
12-14-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm rather surprised, and pleased, to see on the TV Guide web site that Turner Classic Movies will show Fear and Desire tonight at 8:00 p.m. EST. This was Stanley Kubrick's first feature, filmed on a minimal budget in the hills near Los Angeles with a silent camera, the dialog was dubbed after filming.

In his later life Kubrick tried to suppress the film but prints remain in the hands of some collectors and museums. I wonder if the Kubrick estate approves of tonight's showing.

I plan to watch. Be aware that this is definitely not up to Kubrick's later quality. It's a sort of student film from a guy who never went to film school. But you can definitely catch elements of the Kubrick touch. Worth seeing.

DJofSD
12-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Oh sh*t! Thanks.

TCM is fantastic for the true movie fan.

maddog42
12-15-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm rather surprised, and pleased, to see on the TV Guide web site that Turner Classic Movies will show Fear and Desire tonight at 8:00 p.m. EST. This was Stanley Kubrick's first feature, filmed on a minimal budget in the hills near Los Angeles with a silent camera, the dialog was dubbed after filming.

In his later life Kubrick tried to suppress the film but prints remain in the hands of some collectors and museums. I wonder if the Kubrick estate approves of tonight's showing.

I plan to watch. Be aware that this is definitely not up to Kubrick's later quality. It's a sort of student film from a guy who never went to film school. But you can definitely catch elements of the Kubrick touch. Worth seeing.

Since i sat thru Barry Lyndon last week I will try to catch it at a later date.
Favorite Kubrick Film?
Paths of Glory
Dr. Strangelove
2001: A Space Odyssey
Spartacus
A Clockwork Orange
This guy may have been the greatest filmmaker of the last fifty years.

chickenhead
12-15-2011, 12:37 AM
horseplayers talking favorite Kubrick and no mention of The Killing?

BlueShoe
12-15-2011, 12:50 AM
Favorite Kubrick Film?
One of my favorite film noir works of all time and one that all horse racing fans should not miss is The Killing (1956), one of Kubrick's early works. Shot on a low budget in black and white, it is a "perfect crime" caper that revolves around the robbing of a racetrack during the running of the feature race. The racetrack scenes were shot at Bay Meadows. Fine cast and performances from several of the character actors, including Marie Windsor as one of the best all time screen evil women and Elisha Cook, Jr. as her tormented husband.

bigmack
12-15-2011, 01:23 AM
A classic.

You like money. You've got a great big dollar sign there where most women have a heart.

KQXokRldBUo

Pace Cap'n
12-15-2011, 07:45 AM
Wow--check out the size of that crowd at :26!