PDA

View Full Version : College Football indebted to Oklahoma

cato
12-09-2003, 09:39 AM
All college fans will owe a great debt of gratitude to Oklahoma (and Kansas State). The endless debate spawned by the OU-KSU game will lead to a college playoff by 2006 (although it may only be a 4 team playoff). Something that never would have happened (at least that soon) without the current controversy!

Cato

cj
12-09-2003, 09:59 AM
My guess is they will do what they usually do...backfit the system. Something like subtract 1 point for a conference championship. Its what they do, then say, "See, it won't happen again."

Valuist
12-09-2003, 10:44 AM
I have a friend in the media who has covered some of the NCAA meetings and while it probably will happen eventually, don't look for it to happen soon. I can almost guarantee that when they do it, they will start it with only 4 teams. I have no problem with a 4 team playoff. If you look at almost any year, the 5th and 6th place teams really don't have legit claims at the title, let alone a 15th or 16th team. This year 3 teams can make a case; last year really only 2; as a bettor I'd love to see a 16 team or 32 team playoff because I know teams would be motivated for all the games; one can definitely NOT say that about the majority of non-BCS bowls.

freeneasy
12-09-2003, 07:08 PM
a 15-16 team involved playoff is way to much insanity. you cant push these kids up that kind of a ladder. some might be able to handle it but its just way to much breakneck. i mean for the final 2 teams out of a 16 team playoff series involves 4 extra post season games on top of a 10-12 game season. and thats a lot of hard nosed football for any two teams. even an 8 team playoff imo would be to much of an extention. no i think a 4 team 2 game playoff would bring more then enough attention and excitement to the game of colledge football then we would probably know what to do with anyway.

sq764
12-09-2003, 09:53 PM
You know why they won't do playoffs? Money.. If they did any type of worthwhile playoff system, they would have to have 16 teams at the least, which would create 4 more games for 2 teams, and thus would essentially have to eliminate 3 games from every 1-A college team in the country in order to fit the playoffs in..

Think about that.. If there are 120 I-A teams (I don;t know the exact#), that would be 180 games nixed versus 15 games for a playoff.. They would lose revenue on 165 games..

You imagine the impact of that on the NCAA and each individual school?

freeneasy
12-10-2003, 04:14 AM
boy does that ever make sense

Valuist
12-10-2003, 09:44 AM
What's ridiculous is the fact that Div. 1-AA can have a playoff and you don't hear about the extreme "academic workloads" the players have to endure. As for more money, a playoff system would generate far more interest than another Toilet Bowl, which most of them are. Look at how much interest the NCAA basketball tournament draws; I still believe football is a more popular sport w/the American public than basketball is. A NCAA football playoff would be huge. Someday the morons who run things will figure that out.

ranchwest
12-13-2003, 01:47 AM
Yes, I-AA has a 16 team playoff, 4 games to the championship (Dec. 19, btw). There doesn't seem to be any outcry from anyone to reduce the number of games. And, yes, sometimes lower ranked teams win it all. I think there is more disparity in I-A, but it would be interesting to see whether a team could get hot and go all the way. Say maybe a K-State.

sq764
12-13-2003, 10:50 AM
There's no outcry for the number of games because there is one big difference..

I live in Delaware and they are in the 1-AA semifinals today. They draw 20,000 people at most, and tickets average about $15..

that comes out to $300,000.. (And mind you, Delaware is one of the highest drawing 1-AA teams in the the entire NCAA)

Compare that to Michigan.. 105,000 seats sold out at $30 a piece..

That's over $3 million..

cj
12-13-2003, 11:13 AM
Here is the problem in a nutshell...in the Divison 1AA and lower, the playoffs are held at someone's home field. No big expense for supporters to attend the game.

All talk of 1A playoffs seems to revolve around including the bowls into the system. That would mean a lot of travel and most fans could not afford to attend 2, 3 or even 4 games. So, who would fill the seats? I don't know why the bowls have to be included, but I can only assume its a money issue.

Picture an OU fan...round 1 has to travel to the Motor City Bowl in Michigan, round 2 to the Holiday Bowl in San Diego, semifinals in Jacksonville in the Gator Bowl, followed by the title game in the Fiesta in Arizona. Not very many schools could support there team for all these games.

ranchwest
12-16-2003, 01:13 AM
Just so you'll all know, in I-AA the NCAA pays the team travel expenses and therefore takes a significant cut of the gate off the top. A team like Delaware (a team that draws very well for the I-AA level, about 20K) can still come out ahead, but not nearly to the extent that you might think. There are playoff teams that actually lose money due to a small gate.

There is no doubt that the bowl system and a playoff system are significantly at odds.

For one thing, the media has significant reason to oppose a playoff system with a significant number of participants (more than 4, tops). The media and its advertising customers are shelling out millions for games. It is a significant business disadvantage to not know the opponents until a week before the contest. The popularity of the teams involved could vary significantly from week to week and year to year.

I'm for a playoff system, but I must admit there are a lot of hurdles.

ranchwest
12-16-2003, 02:30 AM
Clarification: When I was talking about the NCAA paying travel expenses, that is for playoff games only.