PDA

View Full Version : Gamers

PhantomOnTour
12-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Just read that some Modern Warfare game just topped a record $1 billion in sales in just 16 days.
I've employed many a young man who was totally comsumed by these games...Call Of Duty, Modern Warfare, etc...going at it all night until 4-5am a lot of times. Three hours of sleep and off to work or class.

How long can that go on?
How productive can one be in their real lives?

Maybe I'm just lucky to have come along before these super involved, all consuming games hit the market. I was a bit of a Tecmo Bowl junkie in college, but it never dominated my days (i never skipped class to play or because of Tecmo fatigue or anything like that).
But wow, some kids today are completely 'teched out and tuned out'.
It's really kinda scary as they are clearly addicted to these games.

I put this in the 'Off-Topic General' forum since there's no 'Old Curmudgeon Bitching' forum.
Perhaps it's something PA could look into creating for guys like me.

thaskalos
12-12-2011, 01:27 PM
I used to be critical of these kids and their video games...until I myself discovered online poker...back in the days when it was still "legal" to engage in it.

I would play no-limit holdem all through the night...and would only get up when the alarm clock went off, alerting me to wake my son up to go to school.

All I can say is that..."time flies when you are having fun." :)

Jay Trotter
12-12-2011, 03:47 PM
...I put this in the 'Off-Topic General' forum since there's no 'Old Curmudgeon Bitching' forum.
Perhaps it's something PA could look into creating for guys like me.Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron...................the whole place is an "old curmudgeon bitching" forum!:cool: I'm not bitchin', I'm just sayin'!

toetoe
12-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron...................the whole place is an "old curmudgeon bitching" forum!:cool: I'm not bitchin', I'm just sayin'!

Go on witcher pleonastic self. :jump:

Grits
12-12-2011, 04:30 PM
I've employed many a young man who was totally comsumed by these games...Call Of Duty, Modern Warfare, etc...going at it all night until 4-5am a lot of times. Three hours of sleep and off to work or class.

POT, how old are these men? In college, and they're playing video games? Still? Don't they like girls?

Jay Trotter
12-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Go on witcher pleonastic self. :jump:Good one. I had to look it up though!

dav4463
12-12-2011, 11:21 PM
POT, how old are these men? In college, and they're playing video games? Still? Don't they like girls?

I still play Strat-o-matic sports boardgames.

HUSKER55
12-12-2011, 11:25 PM
SAY GRITS, who do you think I was playing with? :D

JustRalph
12-12-2011, 11:33 PM

Grits, I used to have 25 Tech Support types working for me. They would come into work after an all night session of online gaming and spend the day in the break room talking about how well they did the night before. Many of these guys played every night. When one would eventually find a gal friend or get married it was as if they had betrayed their friends. I used to laugh at them.

Most of them grew out of it. Some didn't..........

I recently had a 26 yr old married man who I worked with who would come in looking like death warmed over some mornings. It corresponded with the latest video game release.........

Grits
12-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Ralph, even guys killing and playing with swords are redboarding!! Damn. Sad ain't it????:lol:

Huskers, you had your priorities straight.;)

PhantomOnTour
12-12-2011, 11:47 PM
One of my best friends is an IT guy for a bank so he is naturally a bit techy. He is into the sports games like FIFA soccer, Madden and NBA2k.
Same scene as the non sports games...up all night playing online vs a live opponent. I will admit that playing someone online is a really fun thing, but geez, some guys are living these games.
He is 35yrs old.

lsbets
12-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Grits, I used to have 25 Tech Support types working for me. They would come into work after an all night session of online gaming and spend the day in the break room talking about how well they did the night before. Many of these guys played every night. When one would eventually find a gal friend or get married it was as if they had betrayed their friends. I used to laugh at them.

Most of them grew out of it. Some didn't..........

I recently had a 26 yr old married man who I worked with who would come in looking like death warmed over some mornings. It corresponded with the latest video game release.........

I had a 19 year old uber geek washing dishes for me for a while. After work he would go home and play games till the sun came up. No prospect of a girlfriend.

One day he came in with a doctors note. He needed some time off, he had a sports hernia. I made a comment about the only sport he played being a solo sport after he was done gaming. The kid blushed so red it was unreal and said the doc told him to stop doing that for a few weeks and not be so rough on himself in the future. Never heard of someone getting a hernia that way before.
:lol:

Richie
12-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Your right, back in the day, we'd party all night with the girls and head off to work with 2-3 hours sleep, take a quick nap at lunch, and start again at 6.

Now its games all night, I have a 16yr old daughter, beautiful and fun, all her friends are dying for boyfriends, let me tell you the boys today have no steam. I guess I should be happy about that!

Uncle Salty
12-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Haha, very nice topic.

I myself am very ambivalent about video games. I have a PS3 system...I use it as much for streaming Netflix and MLB games as I do for games, but there are a few titles I really do enjoy a lot. I find Grand Theft Auto, Uncharted, and the Assassin's Creed lines to be very entertaining.

Having said that, if I spend more than an hour and half playing a game, I start to feel a bit guilty and a bit silly, knowing I have other things that I should/could probably be doing.

But then again, most video games are no worse than 90% of the crap that's on cable TV anyways. I would much rather get sucked into a couple hours on Call of Duty than have to sit through ten minutes of TMZ or E! Channel or TruTV's Most Extreme Death and Destruction or the latest reality series about bakery products or any of that garbage. If I had to chose between the two, I'll take games over dopey TV any day of the week.

Anybody remember the Sid Meier computer games Civilization and Colonization from about 15 years ago? Those were the most addictive games ever invented. I've lost many a night to those in college. You start at 9.00 PM, looking to kill a few hours and next thing you know, it's 3.00 AM, you got an exam at 8.00, but you still want to get in one more turn!. Crazy!

elysiantraveller
12-14-2011, 12:29 AM
I agree with salty.

People that play videogames don't really watch tv.

cj's dad
12-14-2011, 07:54 AM
I stopped playing Frogger; kept getting squished.

ManU918
12-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Just read that some Modern Warfare game just topped a record $1 billion in sales in just 16 days.

How long can that go on?
How productive can one be in their real lives?

Maybe I'm just lucky to have come along before these super involved, all consuming games hit the market. I was a bit of a Tecmo Bowl junkie in college, but it never dominated my days (i never skipped class to play or because of Tecmo fatigue or anything like that).
But wow, some kids today are completely 'teched out and tuned out'.
It's really kinda scary as they are clearly addicted to these games.

I put this in the 'Off-Topic General' forum since there's no 'Old Curmudgeon Bitching' forum.
Perhaps it's something PA could look into creating for guys like me.

The Call of Duty games are all great because of their online play. That's what everyone plays. It only takes about a day to beat the actual game, but the online games will go on until the next Call of Duty game comes out. So if your serious about the game and becoming an elite player you will keep playing online. There is also ways to make money playing Call of Duty. There are always tournaments going on. As far as how productive they can be...... I think very. I know people who play Call of Duty who are CEO's of companies... Its an amazing game. In this day in age its impossible to know who is on the other end of a game. Its so easy to sit here and say its tech geeks and nerds, when in fact they are just a percentage of the players for any given game. If you have seen the new Assasin's Creed commercial featuring (Adrian Peterson, BJ Penn, and Derrick Rose then you know what I'm talking about).

Now if you think that is bad you should look into World of Warcraft... That is where you will find the kids and adults who have absolutely no life (The ones who are serious about it). That is a never ending game. They just make online updates and so on so the players keep playing.

nomadpat
12-14-2011, 08:46 AM
I was a bit of a Tecmo Bowl junkie in college, but it never dominated my days (i never skipped class to play or because of Tecmo fatigue or anything like that).

I still play Super Tecmo Bowl with my brother and a couple of friends. It is the only reason we keep a Nintendo around. We are quite good and play lesser teams like Tampa Bay, Rams. A game for the ages....

lsbets
12-14-2011, 09:04 AM
I still play Super Tecmo Bowl with my brother and a couple of friends. It is the only reason we keep a Nintendo around. We are quite good and play lesser teams like Tampa Bay, Rams. A game for the ages....

I remember being about 18 and many nights with my buds downing a few cases of beer between us while playing Tecmo Bowl.

PhantomOnTour
01-31-2012, 11:08 AM
One of my best friends is an IT guy for a bank so he is naturally a bit techy. He is into the sports games like FIFA soccer, Madden and NBA2k.
Same scene as the non sports games...up all night playing online vs a live opponent. I will admit that playing someone online is a really fun thing, but geez, some guys are living these games.
He is 35yrs old.
Sadly...regrettably....and with great shame i must admit that i have begun to play FIFA12 soccer online at my friends' house. :blush: :blush:
But, but...it's only on weekends!

elysiantraveller
01-31-2012, 05:22 PM
Sadly...regrettably....and with great shame i must admit that i have begun to play FIFA12 soccer online at my friends' house. :blush: :blush:
But, but...it's only on weekends!

The maps on Modern Warfare 3 are a huge disappointment. Very congested, most don't have strategic positions that create good gameflow, and the spawn locations are terrible. The new map pack is out but I'm waiting for some opinions before I double my investment in the game.

The new game has great gameplay but the maps from the MW1 and MW2 were much better.