PDA

View Full Version : What the hell does this mean?

JustRalph
12-09-2003, 03:30 AM
JILL REGS WINNER hesitated, walked out of the gate and sulked. the stewards posted the inquiry sign but took no action :rolleyes:

Anybody see this race at Thistledowns? Odds on favorite, walked out, and sulked? finished dead last. The horse was .60-1

Thistledown - December 8th, 2003 - Race 3
Footnotes
CINDY LOU TWO prompted the pace into the stretch, made the lead before the three sixteenths pole and won under brisk handling. HIGHEST AUTHORITY settled just off the leaders and finished with good courage while cutting into the winners' advantage. BUBBLES MCGRUDER set the pace into the stretch then weakened. MERCERS RUN went evenly. SILVER RIDDLE well placed, lacked a closing response. SWEET ACCOUNT was not a factor. PRINCESS TOOKA was no threat. SHILLELAGH was outrun. NADINE had brief speed. JILL REGS WINNER hesitated, walked out of the gate and sulked. the stewards posted the inquiry sign but took no action.

trying2win
12-09-2003, 04:44 AM
Ralph,

I'll bet some of the bettors on JILL REGS WINNER weren't too happy with the stewards decision. I wouldn't be surprised if the racing manager gets a fair number of e-mails and phone calls over the next few days demanding a refund. Probably some of the backers of the JILL REGS WINNERS used some strong-worded adjectives to describe what they thought of the stewards after that race. That's certainly one of the strangest things happening in a race, that I've ever heard of.

Thanks,

Trying2win

Buddha
12-09-2003, 08:35 AM
My guess was to see if there was a reason for the horses lack of run. Maybe to see if it should be declared a nonstarter. I know I have seen horses at Mountaineer refuse to break, and they post an inquiry, and as long as the gate opened, and nothing was out of the norm, they let the inquiry go, and declare the horse a starter. Not sure how Thistledown does it.

cj
12-09-2003, 08:35 AM
What are they supposed to do? How would the people who bet the winner feel if the horse was scratched and their expected payoff was cut in half? If the gate opened and the horse had a fair chance to break like every other horse, its a runner...period.

Now, if the horse had a history of this in the past, which I doubt given the 3-5 odds, it should have been schooled in the morning and certified to be able to run by the starter. Certainly that will happen now. I see no fault with the stewards here at all. What do you guys think they should have done?

JustRalph
12-09-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
What are they supposed to do? How would the people who bet the winner feel if the horse was scratched and their expected payoff was cut in half? If the gate opened and the horse had a fair chance to break like every other horse, its a runner...period.

excellent points all..........but I would love to see the video. What kind of behavior would bring about "sulked" ? interesting nonetheless. I wonder if the chart caller even discussed that term before using it?

Main Entry: 1sulk
Pronunciation: 's&lk
Function: intransitive verb
Etymology: back-formation from sulky
Date: 1781
: to be moodily silent

Larry Hamilton
12-09-2003, 05:31 PM
sulked means he was draggin' a cart

JustRalph
12-09-2003, 05:50 PM
Good one Larry....!

jotb
12-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Hello all:

This means that the jockey and assistant starters were both boneheads. I would think the horse is sour. Several reasons for this. The horse is sore or he or she is not mentally sound. The later usually occurs with older horses. It's their way of saying enough is enough.....

Joe

Suff
12-09-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
If the gate opened and the horse had a fair chance to break like every other horse, its a runner...period.

Check a Horse "Bar Room Brawler". Ran in the Spring at Suffolk. I bet him good. I mean , a bet I call " a stinger". It Stings if I'm wrong. Gate Opened. Horse never even Twitched. Did'nt move a muscle. I forget the specifics.. But he had something Like 23 Lifetime starts...and had NEVER done anything out of the Ordinary at the gate... and then this. Comment was "refused".

I filed a Complaint with MA State Police... who over sees MA racing. I wrote a letter to the MA racing commission. Not because I thought it was wrong... But because I thought perhaps the Trainer KNEW something was wrong and ran him anyway..

I put him on Horse watch so I could see if it was a FLUKE or ?

The Horse worked once... and has never shown up again on any racing surface anywhere. Still Stings.

Suff
12-09-2003, 06:34 PM
BTW.. The refused Comment.. Barroom Brawler was'nt kidding around.

He refused to be even WALKED out of the gate.. or pulled out of the the gate. He had to be Backed out.... he refused to go through the open Gate and onto the track... thats a real "Refuse".

another btw.. I had nothing to with his Disappearence and have an Alibi for the day he went missing.:)

JustRalph
12-09-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Suff
I had nothing to with his Disappearence and have an Alibi for the day he went missing.:)

classic....!

I had one at Delta Downs one night (yeah...I play there sometime, so what?) I bet a 22-1 early runner against an 8/5 shot Doris Hebert had. They were both early horses in a field of 12 slow pokes that were never going to be close to them. Mine was a stopper in the stretch in mile races and was shortening up to 6f. I knew I had at least 2nd in this field and dropped twenty across. The gate sprang and the Hebert horse stood there and mine blasted them away for a nice score. After the race they did the inquiry dance and declared him a starter. I put him on the watch list and never heard a thing on him. I think he just gave up ........sounds familiar suff? what the hell happens to them, to make them do that? Interesting stuff. I heard Baffert say once that a horse he had was retired due to lack of interest..........

freeneasy
12-09-2003, 08:14 PM
you needs to get these horses minds right every once in a while see by kinda gett'n em laid every once in a while, then you can betcha you'll start to see a little zing in their step. see now if i were a trainer id school my horses to think that when they won, then hey, that means a hot time in the old barn tonite boys. i'd just find me a whloe bunch of mares and bellieve me they'd be the haughtiest mares i could find and then i would stable these little hussies right across from the boys see, and well who wouldnt run their fool head off for a nite with a stable full of brazen mares. ya gotta get their minds on the right track see.:D

superfecta
12-10-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by freeneasy
you needs to get these horses minds right every once in a while see by kinda gett'n em laid every once in a while, then you can betcha you'll start to see a little zing in their step. see now if i were a trainer id school my horses to think that when they won, then hey, that means a hot time in the old barn tonite boys. i'd just find me a whloe bunch of mares and bellieve me they'd be the haughtiest mares i could find and then i would stable these little hussies right across from the boys see, and well who wouldnt run their fool head off for a nite with a stable full of brazen mares. ya gotta get their minds on the right track see.:D Only way that would work free is if the jock held a picture of the horse's favorite mare on a stick in front of the horse for the race.kinda like they use a rabbit for the greyhounds.
And I agree with Cj ,how in the world do you know if the horse decides to stay in the gate when the race starts?As long as the gate opens and the assistant doesn't impede the horse,hes a starter.

JustRalph
12-10-2003, 12:26 AM
this topic has intriqued me and I have been looking around the net for mental issues with Horses. Most of what I find says that horses do the exact opposite of what this horse did. Tons of info on horses acting up due to unknown surroundings and aged horses who just won't run anymore due to injury. They all talk about violent actions and such. Nothing about just standing in the gate or mentally not performing as opposed to physically.

Purple Power......you out there? enlighten me........

freeneasy
12-10-2003, 03:26 AM
yeah supe and scent the picture with some of that o'd'carrot natural perfume, but the horse wisperer is due back in town i think within the next couple of months it seems like. maybe within 3 to 4 months. but now that i think about it a little bit he might even be booked for somewhere in the la or the ventura county area sometime maybe even soon after new year. so keep an eye out for him. cant remember who it was that said they saw him when he was last in town here but they said the man was pretty awsome. mark it

Hosshead
12-10-2003, 07:52 AM
Ralph,

Jill Regs Winner: Before the race in question, had A TON OF TROUBLE getting out of the gate in previous races.

Hesitated in gate twice, Hit Gate, Hopped at Start, in fact had gate trouble 4 out of the last 5 starts! Also a layoff of about 7 months between 2nd and 3rd start back.

This Horse Has A Condition Called GATE HATE !!

JustRalph
12-10-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Hosshead
Ralph, Jill Regs Winner: Before the race in question, had A TON OF TROUBLE getting out of the gate in previous races. Hesitated in gate twice, Hit Gate, Hopped at Start, in fact had gate trouble 4 out of the last 5 starts! Also a layoff of about 7 months between 2nd and 3rd start back.
This Horse Has A Condition Called GATE HATE !!

Good info......thanks very much....... I guess I would too huh?

JimG
12-10-2003, 11:43 AM
JR,

Nice avatar, although he looks like some half-assed longshot player...LOL

Jim

JustRalph
12-10-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by JimG
JR, Nice avatar, although he looks like some half-assed longshot player...LOL Jim

Jim..... I trying to use the cute angle to stock up on xmas presents this year. I went through tons of photos and that was the last time I was cute.........42 years ago.......you gotta work with what the big man gave ya.................:D

Suff
12-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Suff
I wrote a letter to the MA racing commission. Not because I thought it was wrong... But because I thought perhaps the Trainer KNEW something was wrong and ran him anyway..

NYRA Cancel has me catching up on the reams of crap I save. This the reply I got from the MA racing commission to my letter.

Suff
12-14-2003, 11:26 AM
Nice performance.

Pace Cap'n
12-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Man, I can relate to this thread. A year ago I bet the tri and super in a race at Churchill. Had two out of three and three out of four. Huge payoffs. My key horse never left the gate. As far as I know, he's still standing there.