PDA

View Full Version : is satelite tv a good deal

HUSKER55
12-11-2011, 12:27 PM
I have been thinking of going satelite and was wondering if anyone has an opinion as to dependbility and picture quality. is Dish better than Direct TV and etc. Can you get internet over satelite that is worth it? Would waiting another year for more technology be a better idea? Is small dish ok or is larger better?

thanks

cj
12-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Can you get uVerse?

lamboguy
12-11-2011, 12:47 PM
great question!

today you have to pay for everything, television, internet, dial-up information, special channels on televison, points on a mortgage or auto-loan, atm fees, electricity providers or carriors, fuel surcharges on shipping horses and other things, 15% for shipping and handling, membership fee on your credit card, fees to look up information at city hall, charges for baggage on airlines. the one thing all these things have in common is that at one time or another they did not exist, and now because company's don't know how to inovate new things to generate more income, they just come out and rob you to death with fees and added insults.

television used to be FREE of charge. when cable first started you got about 30 channels for $8 a month. today the same thing is about $50, but no better than it was years ago.

for the answer to your question about dish network,its ok unless you have bad weather or high winds that knocks your system down. often times with cable if there is a problem, it can be straightened out over the telephone. with dish you often need a serviceman to come to your house. its probably slightly less expensive than cable.

Sinner369
12-11-2011, 12:52 PM
We have satelite tv............picture quality is excellent.....same as cable TV!

If by dependiablity.....you mean reliability....is the picture on all the time?

The answer is yes......unless a major thunderstorm hits even that only last a few minutes..........it depends on where you live and how much rain or cloud cover you get.....!

The size of the Dish is not a issue any more..........you could have it on your roof or backporch, most apartments you can even hang the dish on yor balcony.

redshift1
12-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Assuming you want HDTV this site requires a little sifting but covers every possible option among HDTV providers including geographical variances.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=6/

johnhannibalsmith
12-11-2011, 02:50 PM
.. today the same thing is about $50, but no better than it was years ago...

I dunno, the extra 42 beans is worth not having to get up and push the little buttons on those nifty old cable boxes.

Dave Schwartz
12-11-2011, 02:53 PM
I have Dishnet but only for RTN. I use cable for the rest of our TV needs.

I can highly recommend RTN for any serious horse player. That said, it is logical to use Dishnet as your regular TV provider. (Do as I say, not as I do.)

Dave Schwartz

pandy
12-11-2011, 07:15 PM
The obvious advantage of Dish is that you get both HRTV and TVG and for $50 more a month you can get RTN, so Dish is far and away the best choice for horse players.

Dish has excellent customer service, better than Direct TV. The picture quality is superb, especially the high definition, although heavy thunderstorms or snow storms could black out the picture for a short time.

Unless you have some sort of package deal, the price for TV viewing is very similar between Dish, Direct TV, and Cable.

Tom
12-11-2011, 07:46 PM
I have TW cable for the main, but Dish in my computer room for racing.The quality of Dish, imho, is FAR better than cable. Not even close. TW sucks.

I get both TVG and HRTV, which means about two race an hour and double the aggervation! I may dump TW and get RTN....but it irks the hell out me to have to PAY to watch the game I support with my wagering.

But yes, satellite is a good deal.

gillenr
12-11-2011, 11:38 PM
I have had Uverse for 3 years & the quality is fine(SD). However, they had to jump through hoops to get it to work initially. Now, in the forums, they don't seem to have the same level of effort at install. The customer service now is poor, but I've not needed it much.

http://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-U-verse-Community/ct-p/attuverse

http://www.uverseusers.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2

Also, the price keeps rising. When I get POed enough, I'll go Dish.

BIG49010
12-13-2011, 12:29 PM
I've had DISH for over 20 years, there are some interesting things going on with the new receivers, that I really like. The 722 DVR is the nuts for racing with RTN. I have taken my receiver from North to South, and avoid the costs of vaction service, etc. that they put on my DSL.

That being said, I spend the winter in the south, and where I am they used to supply cable as part of the monthly fee so I used to be able to get the local channels, etc. free where my Dish did not get my local channels in the south.

This year I added a card to the DISH receiver for a local antenna for HD, I am surprised at the amount of HDTV that is free. I changed my subscription to just RTN, and then then use the antenna for the rest. If you are close to a major metro area, I would look into it.

JimG
12-13-2011, 03:24 PM
This year I added a card to the DISH receiver for a local antenna for HD, I am surprised at the amount of HDTV that is free. I changed my subscription to just RTN, and then then use the antenna for the rest. If you are close to a major metro area, I would look into it.

I cut pay tv out a year ago and have not missed it. I get plenty of hd channels with rabbit ears. Any other shows not on local networks I have been able to find on internet if I really had to watch them. In all honesty reducing the amount of tv I watch is a good thing. Especially given all the horse racing I watch through twin spires, etc.

Jim