PDA

View Full Version : Now rats have more empathy than Conservatives

Native Texan III
12-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Scientists find that rats have more empathy than Conservatives.

"Still, the free rats released the caged rats, day after day.
Then the researchers placed a free rat in an arena with a caged rat and locked-away chocolate.

The free rats were just as likely to free the caged rat as they were to liberate the chocolate and eat it. Moreover, when they got the chocolate they almost always shared it; on average, they would leave about one and a half out of five pieces for the caged rats, Dr. Mason said.

There was also a difference in the behavior of male rats and female rats.

“The females, once they open the door, they open the door every day, and within a few minutes,” Dr. Mason said. “But the male rats would occasionally take off a day

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/13/science/observatory-rats-have-empathy-study-finds.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

ArlJim78
12-10-2011, 08:55 AM
someone giving to another something that belongs to them is sharing, or empathy. charity.

government taking from one group by force of law and giving what doesn't belong to them to others is not sharing, empathy or charity. it's sanctioned stealing.

even the rats know that.

BlueShoe
12-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Scientists find that rats have more empathy than Conservatives.
Um, Tex, in case you have forgotten, several studies have shown that conservatives are much more charitable than liberals. Lots of links for those that wish to take a look and confirm this.

so.cal.fan
12-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Good post, ArlJim.

A good person,( or animal) regardless of their political views, wants to share with others who are less fortunate or in need of help.

Tom
12-10-2011, 10:43 AM
You see, when a conservative sees a rat in a cage, he thinks this is a good thing.

It is the libs who continually release the rats to harm society.
And notice, that neither class of rat EARNED the chocolate, it was always an entitlement.

so.cal.fan
12-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Americans are the most generous people on the planet. That's a fact.
Good people always give and give generously, be it their time or money.

A. Pineda
12-10-2011, 12:07 PM
You see, when a conservative sees a rat in a cage, he thinks this is a good thing.

It is the libs who continually release the rats to harm society.
And notice, that neither class of rat EARNED the chocolate, it was always an entitlement.

Then who let Newt out? That's on you guys.

Maybe some of the rats were veterans, and did earn the chocolate.

Jay Trotter
12-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Americans are the most generous people on the planet. That's a fact.
Good people always give and give generously, be it their time or money.
Not so fast pumpkin.....World Giving Index (http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/sep/08/charitable-giving-country) has the USA tied for 5th behind a few Commonwealth countries. While not enough to quibble over, your "fact" is not quite that. Just sayin'!

rastajenk
12-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Native Texan must be an Obamian speechwriter, stuck as he is on the misguided notion that conservatives are some kind of social Darwinists committed to individual survival over all else.

PhantomOnTour
12-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Rats are fascinating and amazing creatures.
Politicians; not so much.

Actor
12-10-2011, 11:26 PM
government taking from one group by force of law and giving what doesn't belong to them to others is not sharing, empathy or charity. it's sanctioned stealing.And your point?

iceknight
12-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Not so fast pumpkin.....World Giving Index (http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/sep/08/charitable-giving-country) has the USA tied for 5th behind a few Commonwealth countries. While not enough to quibble over, your "fact" is not quite that. Just sayin'!

Just thought I would share a "Related news article (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/10/us/redress-weighed-for-forced-sterilizations-in-north-carolina.html?src=me&ref=general) " from the nytimes page you had linked. The connection is: "methods to keep welfare rolls low".

ArlJim78
12-11-2011, 12:01 PM
And your point?
really, you didn't get it?

Actor
12-11-2011, 12:42 PM
really, you didn't get it?The question is, having made this pronouncement ex cathedra, are you just making an observation on the state of the world or are you advocating something?

Jay Trotter
12-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Just thought I would share a "Related news article (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/10/us/redress-weighed-for-forced-sterilizations-in-north-carolina.html?src=me&ref=general) " from the nytimes page you had linked. The connection is: "methods to keep welfare rolls low".

I don't see the connection between empathy/giving and sterilization!!!:confused:

ArlJim78
12-11-2011, 03:08 PM
The question is, having made this pronouncement ex cathedra, are you just making an observation on the state of the world or are you advocating something?
this thread used the rat experiment to suggest the common argument that conservatives are lacking in empathy, my comment was an attempt to explain why the opposite is true.

BlueShoe
12-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Rats are fascinating and amazing creatures.
Politicians; not so much.
Hmm, so perhaps keeping the politicians locked in the cages instead of the rats might be a good idea? :rolleyes:

Actor
12-11-2011, 05:13 PM
this thread used the rat experiment to suggest the common argument that conservatives are lacking in empathy, my comment was an attempt to explain why the opposite is true.You failed.

Tom
12-11-2011, 06:43 PM
No he didn't.