PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy Service plans

ljb
12-08-2003, 04:12 PM
I went to Best Buy looking for a laptop. Didn't get computer but sales dude still tried to sell service plan. I asked if they got more commission for selling service plans as they all try harder to sell these then the products. They said they get no commission on anything they sell. Any former ex best buy folks out there that can tell me the rest of the story?
just curious.

Buddha
12-08-2003, 05:21 PM
I once worked there for a couple of months. There was no commission for the salespeople, but I think that the managers either get perks, or the store gets perks for selling them. I never tried super hard to get them to buy it, because after 1 or maybe 2 tries, they aren't going to change their mind. I think they tell you to try to 2 rebuttalls after the first no. Without a commission, I didn't think it was worth the extra hassle.

Dave Schwartz
12-08-2003, 05:55 PM
Best Buy is on my "do not purchase from" list.

I purchased a wireless keyboard/mouse there a couple of years ago. When the keyboard failed about 45 days later, they quickly replaced it but told me that I no longer had any coverage at all, including the manufacturer's warranty (which at the time was one year).

I found it incredulous that I had (essentially) paid $10 on a $79 item for the priviledge of having LESS warranty.

I was a bit outraged to find that the "2-year replacement plan" is really "... or one occurence, whichever comes first." They said that was how everyone did it. I suggested that not explaining that at the time of the sale was, essentially, defrauding the customer.

I then went all over town asking competing stores (i.e. Circuit City, Good Guys, CompUSA) about their policies. Everyone of them said if it broke 10 times in two years they'd repalce it 10 times.

FWIW.

Dave Schwartz

Derek2U
12-08-2003, 06:14 PM
Why don't you donate some time to a good social cause like
scaling Mt Everest or working in a local soup kitchen? And
why would $79 get you all lathered? You got 2 much idle time
from not having a real job --- so please try 2 not bully hard
working clerks.

Dave Schwartz
12-08-2003, 06:37 PM
Derek,

LOL - Actually, I went straight to work on the manager.

And I never bully anyone... any more.

Dave

BillW
12-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Anytime I am asked about a service plan, I always ask if the sales person feels that the (poor) quality of the product warrants it. They usually immediately shut-up.

Bill

Tom
12-08-2003, 08:39 PM
Sometimes, when I am out of town and have time kill before going back to the airport, I like to go to places like BB and run up a huge sales ticket in things with all the asserories, etc, then, when they bring up the service contract, get real inquisitive, like asking how many of these things go bad the first year, what field data do they have, can I see the managers, etc, then cancelling the sale and walking out. I think this build character in your sales clerks - at least it is entertaining for me :D

Zaf
12-08-2003, 08:41 PM
I like that one Bill. :D

ZAFONIC

Zaf
12-08-2003, 08:42 PM
I like that one even better Tom ! :D :D

ZAFONIC