PDA

View Full Version : At The Track Vs Cyber Handicapping

jerry-g
12-09-2011, 04:59 AM
I'm still in shock and awe that I can now sit at home and use my computer to do all the things I use to do by traveling to an OBT or Track. However, we do loose the interaction with other players, jockeys, trainers and owners, as a result. Successful people seem to have successful friends. Even Edison had a friend named Henry Ford.

I won't say I am more intelligent but I did gain insights into horse racing by my visits to the OBT in Ocala, Florida known as Ocala Breeder Sales. I met so many interesting people there including owners of race horses, jockeys on break from racing, trainers that were there to purchase horses, etc. Some very beautiful horses have passed through there on their way to stardom.

Inside information is the next best to a sure thing in horse racing. One day I remarked to an elderly gentleman next to me as we stood looking up at a monitor, that I could not figure out why one of the horses was at 50-1. As it turns out he owned the horse and he said she had broken her leg last year and it has been healing pretty good but they are just racing her today to see how she can handle things. We don't get that in the racing form...just that the horse is coming back after a long layoff of one year.

One time an owner of a horse racing in the next race walked in by the side door with six other friends and they stood behind me at the bar. He bought everyone a round of drinks and I struck up a conversation with him. I asked if his horse was running and he said he was in this next race. He pointed out that he just could not figure out why the odds were so high. I asked him what he thought they should be and he said...2-1. Well, they all went over to the windows and placed bets on that horse and I then went over to the window and could not bet the horse because I thought the public must be the correct authority. The horse won and I watched as they all went back to the windows and began filling out forms as the tellers were counting out money for the longest time. Then they all left by the same door they came in and I tore up my ticket.

An owner told me once that I would be shocked....shocked if I knew what all goes on just before a race is run. There are a lot of things going on that the public does not see. I once had a bet on a horse and about five minutes before the race I heard the anouncer say that there was a jock change on a horse. At my computer I thought, hum...let me see here...what's up with this. I checked and the jock change was made on a horse that had a previously scheduled jockey with a win % almost 2. I figured the change must be positive so I quickly cancelled my bet and put my money on the change. Well...the horse bolted out of the gate and made a diagonal move to the center of the track in front of all the others. He never allowed any horse to pass him and won wire to wire.

I wish I could finish my handicapping the night before but there are changes going on even as we sleep. We have to be alert of them the next day and change our perspective accordingly. I believe I will take a trip back to OBS just so I can find out things you won't see in print. It can be a rewarding experience.

pondman
12-09-2011, 11:04 AM
I wish I could finish my handicapping the night before but there are changes going on even as we sleep.

Everyone in my wife's family is involved in racing on the West Coast, including the high end in S. California. The advantage the connections have is knowing when a horse has a problem or is blasted on drugs; And they have access to information, that the public doesn't regarding other trainers. However, It's a highly competitive industry. They know when they've got a live one, but they leave the big gambling to the owners. It's not unlike a good handicapper. You know when the horse is going to be live. But it's got to cross the wire first in a game where many things can happen. I've sat in too many boxes with owners betting their own horses, but I'd be silently sitting out, because I knew the horses didn't have a chance. The truth is I've made more money betting against the In-law connections, than with.

thaskalos
12-09-2011, 11:16 AM
The OTBs that I have been to bare no resemblance to the ones that you frequent in Ocala, Florida.

Here in the Chicago area, except for the weekends, the OTBs have become virtual ghost towns...

RunForTheRoses
12-09-2011, 11:27 AM
The problem for me with Living Room Downs is that sometimes I get too lazy and don't study enough. A nice teletheater with a desk is probably the best. You can stay alert and you know what your there for.
At home, at times, I make more action bets than I should. OTOH, it is nice to not have to travel, not have annoying people nearby (in many NJ betting places, cough cough Freehold, people seem to be competing as to who can be the loudest and most grating), food and drinks of my choice, and the ability to do something else when there is a lull.

Johnny V
12-09-2011, 12:54 PM
For years you could not pry me out of the otb. The last few years (except for frequent trips to various tracks) I have played exclusively from home. For me there is no comparison. Information at my fingertips when I want it, no mutual clerks and lines to deal with, better food, and I do much better without the distraction of friends stopping by, the noise, etc. I have never benefitted from any tips or advice from people I have come across either at the track or otb, whether they be owners, trainers or jockeys or other so called insiders. I don't miss the otb one bit.

IBCNU
12-09-2011, 01:51 PM
The OTBs that I have been to bare no resemblance to the ones that you frequent in Ocala, Florida.

Here in the Chicago area, except for the weekends, the OTBs have become virtual ghost towns...

I live in the Chicago area also....if you've been to the one downtown the first floor almost resembles a homeless shelter.

thaskalos
12-09-2011, 01:54 PM
I live in the Chicago area also....if you've been to the one downtown the first floor almost resembles a homeless shelter.
Uptown is no different, I assure you...

jdhanover
12-09-2011, 03:30 PM
I havent been in the OTBs in the suburbs in recent months but it always seemed there was a decent crowd at Trackside (Arlington) and the one near Golf-Mill shopping center.

But a key to making it more fun at home is playing it with others playing online. Thanks to Dave Schwartz, I often have a handful of guys to 'hang' with online. Does spice it up a bit.

But I do think there is nothing like being in a crowd of guys at the track yelling and screaming as they come to the wire (a la at Saratoga in August with the PA crowd).

ArlJim78
12-09-2011, 03:47 PM
trackside Arlington used to be my second home, now I might stick my nose in there once a year for a few minutes. If you are a non smoker/drinker who just wants to play a lot of races at a lot of tracks, the OTB is not where you want to be. frankly I don't miss the people either, most of the time when I was there I was trying to tune them out to focus on what I had going on.

cosmo96
12-09-2011, 04:04 PM
The problem for me is if I play at home my wife knows what I'm doing, and bitches.

PurplePower
12-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Ah - if our industry would only read threads like this and DO SOMETHING to become a part-owner in LIVING ROOM DOWNS!!

jerry-g
12-09-2011, 06:33 PM
It's been a long time since I was last there. I think because they auction off high priced beautiful thoroughbreds, the class of the clientele may be on a different plane. Still...I remember it was loud just before the horses crossed the wire at the various screens. They had wall size screens and also room with screens. You had your pick or sit at the bar and look up at 4 monitors there. There was a hallway connecting another large room with all of the same as the other except it was non smoking. The auditorium where the auctions were held was lush as I remember, carpeted, and it was strange seeing horses inside being paraded around like they were royalty. I sat next to a gentleman and remarked to him that I wondered what kind of person would pay over a $100,000 for a horse and he held his hand up and he was in the bidding. I felt a little silly. OBS has produced some nice race horses and they have done well all over the United States. They actually had classes before the days races that was to help handicappers make their selections and they demonstrated that rooting your horse home was highly acceptable there. I just never realized how good it was until now. At least we have this forum where we can exchange ideas. I am not an authority on handicapping but I still have my learners permit. I have lost in the learning process. I just love the challenge to try and put the 1200 piece puzzle together where it makes sense to me. I wish everyone here well and with good luck on their side.

mannyberrios
12-09-2011, 08:23 PM
:lol: The problem for me is if I play at home my wife knows what I'm doing, and bitches. :lol: :lol: :lol:

benzer
12-09-2011, 08:50 PM
The situation is what it is, plus or minus, the way a person decides to deal with it is a personal choice. Myself I like all the online options.

jerry-g
12-09-2011, 10:58 PM
The first time I ever went to a track was near Chicago at a place called Arlington Park. Me and a buddy of mine, in our twenties had gone there armed with a slip of paper my buddy got from an older man giving us horses to place show bets on. Also, we were instructed to not make the bet till 3, 2 or 1 minute before post time. And pay attention to the odds board. Well we looked at the odds board but did not know what it all meant. It hopefully showed our horse was going to pay good, but what the heck. If it paid anything at all I was interested. I remember running up the stands and to the windows to get that show bet in. Well, we had a fun day, broke about even and paid our drinks. I just did not know at that time how big of a hook had been sunk into me.

Striker
12-10-2011, 12:03 AM

The tracks here in Chicago are ghost towns also, even on the weekends. Mothers and Fathers Day, Derby Day, July 4th weekend and Million day are the only time you will see large crowds at Arlington.

plainolebill
12-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Our local OTB is in the bar of a bowling alley, populated mostly by drunks and zombies playing video poker - I haven't been there for years.

dav4463
12-13-2011, 11:02 PM
I feel like I lose 20-30 points off my IQ when I enter the OTB or track simulcast area.

speed
12-13-2011, 11:34 PM
I feel like I lose 20-30 points off my IQ when I enter the OTB or track simulcast area.
I'd be in the single digits then.

JBmadera
12-14-2011, 06:55 AM
For years you could not pry me out of the otb. The last few years (except for frequent trips to various tracks) I have played exclusively from home. For me there is no comparison. Information at my fingertips when I want it, no mutual clerks and lines to deal with, better food, and I do much better without the distraction of friends stopping by, the noise, etc. I have never benefitted from any tips or advice from people I have come across either at the track or otb, whether they be owners, trainers or jockeys or other so called insiders. I don't miss the otb one bit.

completely agree.

Robert Goren
12-14-2011, 07:10 AM
There is world of difference between a race track with live racing and an OTB or simulcast center. The only reason to go an OTB is to hangout with other handicappers. At live races, there is a chance to actually get a good look the horses. Of course, it goes without saying that you are going to pay through the nose for that opportunity and it might not be worth it for some.

ranchwest
12-15-2011, 01:37 AM
There is world of difference between a race track with live racing and an OTB or simulcast center. The only reason to go an OTB is to hangout with other handicappers. At live races, there is a chance to actually get a good look the horses. Of course, it goes without saying that you are going to pay through the nose for that opportunity and it might not be worth it for some.

Yes!

I am a very good physicality handicapper, so I have hit some decent scores at the track.

I hate the track. No matter how well I do, I can't get past the fact that going there would be likely to lead to a heart attack. Smoke, unhealthy food, unfriendly policies and obnoxious patrons are a few of the problems.

So, I stay home and handicap from data. I don't do as well, but I'm still just crazy, not insane.

pktruckdriver
12-16-2011, 11:20 AM
I love the smaller tracks and doing some paddock inspections and watching the warm ups have sometimes given me a nice score.

ShipShipandDip
12-16-2011, 01:36 PM
I used to go to the downtown otb on weed street (yes it's called weed street) and I have never seen a more pathetic group of people in my life. I am 28, a virtual child as far as this game goes but lounging around in my boxers, drinking some good stout, and betting the ponies from the comfort of my condo is priceless :cool:

thaskalos
12-16-2011, 01:43 PM
I used to go to the downtown otb on weed street (yes it's called weed street) and I have never seen a more pathetic group of people in my life. I am 28, a virtual child as far as this game goes but lounging around in my boxers, drinking some good stout, and betting the ponies from the comfort of my condo is priceless :cool:
I always thought that the crowd at the Mud Bug was pretty "high class" by comparison.

I remember going there often many years ago...and sitting next to famed Sun Times horse handicapper Dave Feldman.

If you want to see "pathetic"...visit the OTB on Milwaukee Ave, in Deerfield.

ranchwest
12-17-2011, 02:21 AM
I don't know if it ever opened back up after the hurricane, but the OTB on Bourbon Street in New Orleans was a crazy place. I hit 5 of 6 on a Pick 6 there, paid $12.30. Ha!

PhantomOnTour
12-17-2011, 02:31 AM
I don't know if it ever opened back up after the hurricane, but the OTB on Bourbon Street in New Orleans was a crazy place. I hit 5 of 6 on a Pick 6 there, paid $12.30. Ha!
Closed a long time ago. They actually have nice large OTB's in the New Orleans metro area. One on the west bank, one in Kenner next door to where Jefferson Downs used to be, one in Harahan (off Earhart Blvd) and a small one in Metairie.
I haven't been to any of them in years...going to FG with my father the day after Christmas...gonna be fun.

JBmadera
12-17-2011, 06:32 AM
I always thought that the crowd at the Mud Bug was pretty "high class" by comparison.

I remember going there often many years ago...and sitting next to famed Sun Times horse handicapper Dave Feldman.

If you want to see "pathetic"...visit the OTB on Milwaukee Ave, in Deerfield.

wow, that's a blast from the past. Can't count how many times I was in Chicago for work and would go straight from the airport to the Mud Bug (instead of the office..... :D ). I did really love that place